Transmission Woes

TheBab

Reaction score
Okay so I thought it was just the Pro 5.0 but I don't think so anymore...

Let me start from the beginning.. I havent had a problem with any of the gears. The transmission was rebuilt and done up in 03... so it doesnt have too many miles since then. I was out with a buddy and we were playing around on the highway... I slammed 4th.. well actually I didn't even slam it... I just shifted to 4th pretty quickly. (NOT a wot shift) For some reason it wouldn't come back out of 4th gear.. I had to use both my hands and push VERY hard to get it back into neutral...... Ever since then I have not been able to get it into 3rd or 4th gear without MINOR grindage...

Now it's very hard to find 3rd and 4th is almost non existant....

So I have a MGW Shifter enroute but that is not the problem.... I have the pro 5.0 off .. and I am shifting the tranny without a shifter assembly.. (by hand basically) and I can find 1st and 2nd real easy..and then 3rd is still a biatch.. it won't go into....

I'm not sure whats going on.. but I am hoping it's not the synchros.... what are the odds of the 3rd and 4th going out at the same exact time?

Any input?

It's got me quite worried as I don't want to drop the cash on a transmission rebuild.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
ooo.. bent fork???

Dude, i just guessed and have no idea what i just said.
Hopefully you get it fixed asap.

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
Only thing I could think of would be a bent 3-4 fork...:(

Any write ups on how to drop the trannys? Or what I am looking for? :help2: :help2: :help2:

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
yeah.. dropping that t45 (if thats what you have still) is a total PITA IMO...

there are like 8 bolts that are connected from the bellhousing to the engine block..

jack the car up, support everything.. take the cross member, starter, exhaust, everything around that area.. then take all the bolts off.. the top two bolts are prettttty nasty bolts to take off.. me and my pops used about 3 ft of 1/2" and 3/8" drive extensions with swivles out the a**.. i suggest you buy a set of swivles because me and my dad broke about 4 swivles trying to do this.. once you get those two top bolts out.. make sure you clear the dowel pins and straight out and then drop her down..

i may have forgotten a few steps, thats just my quick 5 minute instructions from what i remember.. im sure somebody else will chime in and correct my mistakes or pick up with what i left out... good luck man!

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Getting the tranny out is not normally a hard job, BUT it sucks. The main thing is getting the car up as high as you and still be comfortable working. Get all the crap out of the way, O-2 sensors, X/H-pipe, drive shaft, clutch cable, speedo wiring, that suff. DRAIN THE TRANS BEFORE REMOVING THE DRIVE SHAFT, or you WILL get a bath. Remove your 8 bellhousing bolts, and yes they do suck. Do like Tex said and use about 3 ft of extensions and a swivel to get the top 2 bolts out. Use a 6 point socket if you have one. The trans is not to heavy, but getting it off the guide dowl pins sucks big time.

It also sounds to me like a bent shift fork.

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
Going to start on it thursday.

Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx