Transmissions that mate with a 5.0l ho v8?

chasingomas

Reaction score
Hi!

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I'm still new to proper terminology so I did look using the vocabulary I know.

I'm building a 95 mustang gt for drifting on pretty much a shoe string budget. Im getting a 5.0L ho v8 (94 probably). I'm looking for manual transmissions that I might be able to junkyard or find relatively easily online and mate. T5's in my area are pretty expensive also, even used, and I heard they don't do great constantly rowing through gears, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to invest into something expensive thats going to break under (my) normal use anyways.

I don't have access to a ton of tools but i can always rent them and i'd much rather put in the physical labor and pay that way because I don't have the money to buy something fully prepared to go in.

So I guess I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive or possible to junkyard, somewhat reliable under stress, and mates with the engine. I'm know theres not a lot of overlap between these asks but I googled and couldn't find anything so I'm asking y'all!. I'm going to replace pretty much anything once I get an income, I just need something i can throw in and beat on that won't self-destruct in 2 months. Thank you so much!

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
automatic c-6 is really torquey that could be another suggest
boarg warner's 4 speed
there may be a couple of newer ones out there
one of these guys may have that info
the 5.0 stuff is pretty old see a lot of it in the past

OP
OP
C

chasingomas

Reaction score
boarg warner's 4 speed
Thank you! yeah I want to eventually do the coyote swap but this is my first build and my first car so I'm trying to just get it close to stock and on the road so I can actually drive, then upgrade when I have the money and seat time/experience to know exactly what I want to upgrade.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Most likely trans you'll find in a junkyard today that will bolt to a 302 will be something from a late model V6. Either the V6 specific 4R70W, or a T5 out of a 99-04. Once Ford went to the modular bell pattern, that was the end of compatible trans. Odds of finding 80's cars inthe junkyard that will fit are slim these days, not that those are any better.

Anything else will need adapters. A T-56 out of a Camaro will likely need an adaprter plate. If you find a T45 or T3650 out of a newer GT it will need some additional adapters. Not sure it's very cost effective this way

I got a T5 out of a junkyard a month ago for about $100. Opened it up and looks surprisingly good. Will be a backup to my current T5 which is living being a 325-350HP combo. I'm not drifting the car however.

joemomma

Reaction score
Also be aware the the T5 from the Fox (79-93) requires some modifications to work on the 94/95. I think it's tail shaft or something, there's a difference in the length.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Input shaft and bearing retainer would need to be swapped.

Most direct swap would be any 94-98 T5. 99-04s can be used but tailhousing is different for the different electronic speedometer.

OP
OP
C

chasingomas

Reaction score
boarg warner's 4 speed
thank you! I want to keep it manual but i'll look into the 4-speed :) Yeah I didn't realize how specific the 5.0l v8 ho for the gt's, mark viii and cougar were haha but they sound great, are touquey and make good power for a beginner (me lol)

OP
OP
C

chasingomas

Reaction score
Most likely trans you'll find in a junkyard today that will bolt to a 302 will be something from a late model V6. Either the V6 specific 4R70W, or a T5 out of a 99-04. Once Ford went to the modular bell pattern, that was the end of compatible trans. Odds of finding 80's cars inthe junkyard that will fit are slim these days, not that those are any better.

Anything else will need adapters. A T-56 out of a Camaro will likely need an adaprter plate. If you find a T45 or T3650 out of a newer GT it will need some additional adapters. Not sure it's very cost effective this way

I got a T5 out of a junkyard a month ago for about $100. Opened it up and looks surprisingly good. Will be a backup to my current T5 which is living being a 325-350HP combo. I'm not drifting the car however.
thank you so much! I'll keep checking row32 because finding a junkyard t5 from the GT models I was looking at specifically would be great, just hadn't seen anything since I started looking. I also didn't know that the t5 out of the newer sn95's would work because, in my head, the engine changed, there for the mating points would be different. Sorry if that's ignorant, I'm still new to specifics lol I will look into the 4R70W too that's super helpful.

OP
OP
C

chasingomas

Reaction score
Input shaft and bearing retainer would need to be swapped.

Most direct swap would be any 94-98 T5. 99-04s can be used but tailhousing is different for the different electronic speedometer.
Awesome, thank you so much for the info! Just googled it and the actual work seems super doable. That definitely opens up the options for me to looks. Sorry for my ignorance but do I have to get the tailhosing for a 94-98 sn95 specifically? Or are there other cars I can poach the tailhousing off?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Unfortunately just 94-98. You can use a fox tailhousing is you remove the reverse synchro brake, or modifit the fox tailhousing to accept the alignment tab for the reverse brake.

Swapping also requires drilling the mainshaft on the 99-04 t5 to accept the speedo gear clip.

btw, any of the SN95 t5s would just bolt to your existing bellhousing. The actual main case of the t5 is virtually identical from 85.5 thru 2010. It’s the tailhousing and input shaft and some of the internals that make it usable ot not.

FYI, 2005-2010 Mustang T5s are not usable in terms of bolting them in, but they have decent parts inside that can be used if you get them cheap enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodeblue

Members online