Transponder Key

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by maxoctane, Oct 25, 2006.

1. maxoctane

maxoctane New Member

Trying to get my 98 GT back on the road (been sitting for 2 years) and i did all the out of storage stuff, oil, fuel, new battery. the car cranks but won't start. i lost the original key and am using a regular hardware store cut key. from what i understand i need to use an original style transponder key to get this pig started. any feedback on this subject appreciated and also if you know a good locksmith in the san jose, ca area that can help let me know!
    THANKS

2. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

you'll probably have to go to your local ford dealership to get the key. if you need one.

3. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

+1 dont the 98 and older stang keys have chips or something like the newer ones do ???

4. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

i think you can get them cheap on eba and then have them cut and activated or whatever at the ford dealership...

5. Black97GT

Black97GT Legend

I had a copy of mine made at a locksmith. But there was only one in my area that could actually do the programming transponder keys. The locksmith was cheaper than all the dealerships I called. I payed $70 for a key and programming. All the dealerships I called were $90-140. I asked the dealer why it was so much and they said it was because of the labor so I am not sure if buying a key on ebay and bringing it in would be very beneficial. I am not sure how you would do it if you dont have one key to start with though..they actually had to plug in a computer under the steering wheel to program the keys.

6. phil_the_thrill

phil_the_thrill Active Member

i didnt even think it would crank if the chip didnt match the car. i may be wrong about this but you can always try and reset the fuel system by hitting the red button in your trunk on the left side behind the cardboard/carpet cover shit on the side.

7. JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz Well-Known Member

you defiantly need the key! mine is a 96 and it comes with a chip...good technology back then but if you loose the key your screwed, the car wont turnover because the chip sends the signal...its part of the theft system.