Tremec Transmission HELP!!

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What will be needed to drop a Tremec transmission from a 90 Mustang GT into my 95GT???
Bellhousing, clutch, and what else? Will I need a new drive shaft or can I get away with a spacer? :dunno:

Thanks

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
You need a spacer. I have one I'd be happy to give you . . . if you want to buy my freshly rebuilt TKO, McCleod sfi bell, Steeda TriAx and so on . . . lol.

But, seriously, you do need a spacer. I think its 5/8 inch.

dnkapcorydnk

Reaction score
the t5 from the foxbodys had shorter output shafts on them than the sn-95... or is that what the spacer is for... lol ???

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
All I know is that when you put the TKO in the 94/95 cars, you need a spacer.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i think he is putting the stock t5 out of his 90 gt into his 95 right? I think the input shafts are different (i think the 90 gt is 10 spline and i dont remember what the 94-95's are) if i remember correctly.

MustangMan1619

Reaction score
on the TKO, or any other manual tranny for that matter, the bellhousing is 5/8" longer in the 94-95 then the 87-93. Iv'e heard you can actually install everything from a 87-93 right into a 94/95, but the only thing is the shifter will sit 5/8" closer to your radio etc... then it should. I was lookin at putting a TKO setup from an 89 in my 95, and i talked to a local mustang shop, and they said you can get by without a different spacer, if the TKO's got a short throw shifter on it then you shouldnt have any problems clearing the radio.. etc.

OP
OP

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I am looking to get a used Tremec 3550 for pretty cheap. I really want a TKO 600 or a G-Force. I'm just afraid after I put the 3550 in, I will later wish I just spent the extra $$ and got one of the other two transmissions.

OP
OP

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
I hope someone here on the board can chime in on the durability of the G-Force (t-5). I've heard that the internals are bullit proof, but the T-5 case can crack. Anyone here ever hear this???????

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ya it can crack but i dont think you have to worry about that till 600+. its something like that. later ill do some checking and get back to ya

ryclef331

Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
ya it can crack but i dont think you have to worry about that till 600+. its something like that. later ill do some checking and get back to ya

I have a G-Force T5....and I just blew it up. 3rd gear is shot. I killed it on the STREET, running on MOTOR (all 320hp), GRANNY SHIFTING at 6k. Now...by NO MEANS do I think that the G-Force kits are garbage. I think I just got a bad gearset. They won't know till I send it back to get fixed. This transmission was only in the car for 3,000miles and 3 trips to the track. Take that for what its worth.

Now...on a side note, once this tranny is fixed (professionally by astroperformance.com) then it will be up for sale for a very reasonable price w/ clutchmasters clutch, pro 5.0 shifter, and a ram billet steel flywheel....any takers? ;D

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
well i wont have the $$ for probably around a month unfortunately

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
I would be interested in it depending on my money situation/how much you want for it etc. I assume it is a helical cut/synchronized version? Did you just buy the gears from astro and rebuild it or did you get the whole tranny from them? Does it have upgraded mainshaft and what is the overdrive gear? Let me know and maybe we can make a deal on it.

ryclef331

Reaction score
its a Synchro G-Force Built by Astroperformance. Upgraded 9130 Alloy Maint shaft, .59 Overdrive. Also have the appropriate clutch to match the 26spline input shaft (Clutchmasters Stage 3 from Astro as well) and a new ram billet steel flywheel. I'd sell those three things together for 2 grand plus shipping. This whole set up has less than 4,000 miles on it and 3 trips to the track. The tranny alone is $2060 new from astro. Its getting fixed by them as soon as I send it it in.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
I would be very interested in the setup. It is more than i need/planned on but it doesnt hurt to overbuild the drivetrain. Like i said if i have the money by the time you want to sell it i would be very interested. I have about 1k saved up as of right now and my next paycheck should put me over 2k. Unfortunately i only get payed once a month normally (approximately) so i have to watch my $$ so i dont get myself into a bind money wise. i guess we will see when ya get it back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online