Trick flow elbow and other gt40 swap questions PICS !!

Dugzy33

Reaction score
Hey my swap is in progress
a few things I noticed...

My trick-flow elbow has a different size egr mounting spot than the stock egr valve on my 95.
Do i need a different egr valve?
image148431201417654956-96e9ab1369.jpg

image131236881417654973-f8e6227bdc.jpg

also here is a pic of the old intake and the new intake..
image126324441417653878-ee8d95ca10.jpg

what did you guys do with the extra connections on the gt40 and how would you go about hooking the existing ones up to the gt40 intake?

Thanks,
Doug

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Can't help you with the egr being I deleted mine but with the extra tubes on the 40 intake, there's no law that says you need to use everyone of them. Cap off what you don't need. When my father bought his gt40 intake we bought a new plug and eliminated that T from the corner for a cleaner look.

OP
OP
Dugzy33

Dugzy33

Reaction score
Figured out the elbow to egr issue...

the previous owner of the elbow cut off the lower mounting ear for some reason!

I'm just gonna drill a new hole into both and put a bolt in it.

Thanks,
Doug

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Figured out the elbow to egr issue...

the previous owner of the elbow cut off the lower mounting ear for some reason!

I'm just gonna drill a new hole into both and put a bolt in it.

Thanks,
Doug

Have you thought of getting rid of it? Free up some engine bay room.

OP
OP
Dugzy33

Dugzy33

Reaction score
Have you thought of getting rid of it? Free up some engine bay room.

Actually no emissions where I Live.
I live in a smaller town south of Portland.
Our county does not do emissions tests, probably never will.

My car runs very nicely and has no issues with idle and such.
My wife likes to be able to drive it and I am worried that getting rid of the egr might mess with the idle or drive ability.

But we shall see how the swap goes, I might get rid of it just for the ease of changing the number 4 spark plug. lol
What a bad design and PITA.

RichV

Reaction score
It looked like the elbow was modified on the lower ear.

On the vac ports, you will need to keep the ones that are close to the factory intake, and plug the rest. Several ways to do it, but make sure you don't have leaks.

OP
OP
Dugzy33

Dugzy33

Reaction score
Hey another question,

What about the crossover tube?
A lot of guys say to keep the egr set up but don't say what they did to the crossover pipe.
gt40 heads don't have the holes in the back for exhaust gasses.
the crossover tube is hooked up to the smog pump with the tubes and valves that also go to the h pipe
do i just take that portion off and cap it then leave the egr valve?
none of the diys on gt40 swaps mention this part.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hey another question,

What about the crossover tube?
A lot of guys say to keep the egr set up but don't say what they did to the crossover pipe.
gt40 heads don't have the holes in the back for exhaust gasses.
the crossover tube is hooked up to the smog pump with the tubes and valves that also go to the h pipe
do i just take that portion off and cap it then leave the egr valve?
none of the diys on gt40 swaps mention this part.

yes. pull the smog pump and all the associated piping. then cap the pipe coming out of the h pipe.

95opal

Reaction score
OP the ear for the egr was cut because it interferes with valve cover clearance. I suspect the original owner didnt want to but a spacer for the intake so he wacked the ear off no big deal. If your going tom have a tune done they can turn that function of in the ecm. The crossover tubes are for the air pump like CC state. Pull the smog and cap it all off. You can either weld the bung on the header or use the penny trick in a fitting. Or buy a set of fox headers as they don't have the egr bung in them. As for vacuum as long as everything you need is hooked up vacuum caps can be placed on the rest of the open ports.

OP
OP
Dugzy33

Dugzy33

Reaction score
OP the ear for the egr was cut because it interferes with valve cover clearance. I suspect the original owner didnt want to but a spacer for the intake so he wacked the ear off no big deal. If your going tom have a tune done they can turn that function of in the ecm. The crossover tubes are for the air pump like CC state. Pull the smog and cap it all off. You can either weld the bung on the header or use the penny trick in a fitting. Or buy a set of fox headers as they don't have the egr bung in them. As for vacuum as long as everything you need is hooked up vacuum caps can be placed on the rest of the open ports.

Not what I meant.
I am asking about leaving the egr on as I have seen in many pics and write ups.
Most diys show the egr bolted up to the sn elbow 95 adapter, if so why pull the smog pump
if left on what to do with the crossover tube as it goes to the smog pump.
I dont want to take off the smog pump while leaving cats on do I?
(I dont have an off road H Pipe)

they are both a part of the same system egr is just upstream of the cat, right?

Hope this makes sence,
Thanks for the help...
I'm confused!!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The EGR and Smog pump are 2 different and seperate systems. You can remove all the smog piping while still leaving the EGR if you wish.
Removing the smog stuff won't throw a code either..

The only thing the smog pump is used for is helping the cats heat up faster at cold start anyway. You can remove it with no effects to the cats at all.

Vettn71

Reaction score
Just to jump in here, his question is what is required to leave the EGR and smog pump. I'd like to know, also as I have emissions testing where I am (DFW). Everyone keeps telling him how to take it off. Someone enlighten me as to how to keep the smog junk. Some of us have no choice

TIA

Jim

OP
OP
Dugzy33

Dugzy33

Reaction score
Probably because it was hitting his valve covers.

OP the ear for the egr was cut because it interferes with valve cover clearance. I suspect the original owner didnt want to but a spacer for the intake so he wacked the ear off no big deal.

Uh...
Yea I got that.

Anyway, I'm ditching the smog pump and gonna try with out egr, but keep the parts if I need to put it back on.
(I was able to get the egr mounted to the elbow by drilling a hole in the cast part of it and throwing a bolt in it. in case I need it later)

Heads are on and now to put the intake and everything else back on tomorrow.
thanks for all the advice.
Doug

95opal

Reaction score
Just to jump in here, his question is what is required to leave the EGR and smog pump. I'd like to know, also as I have emissions testing where I am (DFW). Everyone keeps telling him how to take it off. Someone enlighten me as to how to keep the smog junk. Some of us have no choice

TIA

Jim

If your running taller than stock valve covers an intake spacer will give the egr the clearance it needs over the covers. How big of a spacer you will need will take a little bit of measuring. You can buy an extension tube to go from the egr valve to the header when you add the intake spacer. If your heads don't have the crossover holes in them then obviously youll just ditch the smog pump.

OP
OP
Dugzy33

Dugzy33

Reaction score
Did you not say that the previous owner did it "for some reason"?

I provided you with the most likely scenario... As I did it myself.

Always condescending with you isn't it?
See 95Opal's post 13 hrs before
I even "Provided" you with a quote.
But no worries I actually enjoy seeing your condescending quips from time to time.

Now on to a real question regarding my swap...

The upper intake gasket for the explorer intake has the hole in the center for internal egr.
I thought there was one without the hole that blocks the port between the upper and lower.
Do I need that one or is the one I have ok?
A link or part number would be great!
Thanks,
Doug

Addermk2

Reaction score
How is any of that condescending? You posed a question, I provided a likely answer.

As for Opals response, no I didn't see it. Pretty sure I have him blocked after he turned my build thread into a shithole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online