Trick Flow Heads and Intake. Worth the Cost?

Snorky

Reaction score
It looks appealing, but from what I've read boost can be a bit sketchy on a stock bottom end and transmission. That, and I want to avoid the big drop in fuel economy that comes with supercharging.

Since everyone seems to love boost here, what's the take on running a turbo versus a centri in these cars?
I ran my stock engine with comp 262 cams and a procharger at 9 lbs for a few years daily. Ran great! Loved it. Pulled the engine with no issues with it. Stuck a forged bottom end in it, head work and an on3 turbo setup. It was unbelievably faster. I would still recommend a blower over it though. It's easier start to finish, the turbo has left me in a constant state of.. oh this isn't right or this could be better or oh I hear a leak still. On and on and on. Which is okay when you have the time to do it.. life comes fast yhiugh and time available disappears. Another thing I would say is the centri blower is easier on the engine than a turbo. The torque spike a turbo can produce would easily shatter a bottom end. The centri blower will build it in a linear fashion which cuts down on low and mid range torque spikes which murder rods..

If its a drag strip car or something you have time to fuck around with all the time. Go turbo.. but if you're okay with less power and far more simplicity.. I would recommend the centri blower.

also. I found gears like 4.10s to ruin my mileage more than cams or a blower. Since when you're cruising on the highway you are basically riding in vacuum. So you aren't dumping fuel like you would at WOT.

OP
OP
Thyme

Thyme

Reaction score
I'm not into the trick flow stuff the cost alone will drive you away
I'd buy the ford racing equipment before anything else
That is just me if I do see the parts cheaper I'll pick them up
I snagged the intake and TB for $480, so I think I did pretty good there. Would've just got a PI intake if I hadn't found this for cheap.
know we need to keep mpg in mind as well?! Ever thought about some NO2? I remember talking to someone that mentioned how he put some on his 2v and was really surprised how it woke it up.
Actually hadn't looked into it until now. Definitely looks great for the price, but not really for a daily.
I ran my stock engine with comp 262 cams and a procharger at 9 lbs for a few years daily. Ran great! Loved it. Pulled the engine with no issues with it. Stuck a forged bottom end in it, head work and an on3 turbo setup. It was unbelievably faster. I would still recommend a blower over it though. It's easier start to finish, the turbo has left me in a constant state of.. oh this isn't right or this could be better or oh I hear a leak still. On and on and on. Which is okay when you have the time to do it.. life comes fast yhiugh and time available disappears. Another thing I would say is the centri blower is easier on the engine than a turbo. The torque spike a turbo can produce would easily shatter a bottom end. The centri blower will build it in a linear fashion which cuts down on low and mid range torque spikes which murder rods..

If its a drag strip car or something you have time to fuck around with all the time. Go turbo.. but if you're okay with less power and far more simplicity.. I would recommend the centri blower.

also. I found gears like 4.10s to ruin my mileage more than cams or a blower. Since when you're cruising on the highway you are basically riding in vacuum. So you aren't dumping fuel like you would at WOT.
Thanks for the insight on that. I hadn't considered the difference in how boost builds between a turbo and a supercharger. Since this car as my daily, I wouldn't want to have the engine trying to make speed holes in itself on the way to work.

I'm getting the feeling that a blower wouldn't be the worst choice for me all things considered... If it wasn't for the prices I'm seeing. New prices for vortech and procharger systems are even more than the head/cam combo I've been eyeing, and used ones aren't much better. What I'm thinking from reading this thread is: heads/cams now, bottom end and FI or Nos later. Might net me less power now, but even low to mid 300s to the wheels will put a grin on my face for a year or two.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If you are a die hard mod motor naturally aspirated 2v guy, then cost doesnt mean much. Youll build it! Supposedly Blankenship tuned a high compression 4.6l that spun the drums a little over 400rwhp. Cost comparison for that amount of horsepower favors forced induction and knowing more can be had with a solid engine build, it really only makes sense to go the force induced route.

Honestly tho, any direction you take becomes the eight hundred thousand dollar horse.

Buy the horse
Buy the farm
Buy the fence
Buy the barn
Buy the trailer
Buy the truck to pull trailer
Buy the sattle
Buy the food
...buy buy buy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads