trick flow heads cam issue

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty good conversation with Mike a couple weeks ago about this issue. It seems that he really knows what he's doing when it comes to cam design.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
L&M is who will most likely build my engine when I decide what car it is going in. I did pick up some TF heads and already had some VT/CMS cams that I will most likely sell and have Mike source me a new set.

They are expensive at L&M but they do everything right.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
wow someone did a lot of research to figure that out. Wonder if the twisted wedge head on the pushrods suffer from anything similar?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
wow someone did a lot of research to figure that out. Wonder if the twisted wedge head on the pushrods suffer from anything similar?

I don't believe they do. The only reason the modulars have this problem is because of the relocated intake valve. The tfs pushrod heads use stock valve location as far as I know.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't believe they do. The only reason the modulars have this problem is because of the relocated intake valve. The tfs pushrod heads use stock valve location as far as I know.

I though twisted wedge name they had was because of moving some stuff around similar to what was done here.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I though twisted wedge name they had was because of moving some stuff around similar to what was done here.

Oh ok, I don't know anything about that. However, with how long the pushrod tfs heads have been around and been used, I would definitely think that if they had an issue like this it would have been addressed.

OP
OP
torch318

torch318

Reaction score
To me it just means that Trick Flow didn't do enough research because it really is something that they should of figured out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh ok, I don't know anything about that. However, with how long the pushrod tfs heads have been around and been used, I would definitely think that if they had an issue like this it would have been addressed.

you would think so but then again the 4.6 has been out for a while now and I would have assumed stuff like this would be common knowledge as well.

To me it just means that Trick Flow didn't do enough research because it really is something that they should of figured out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

If I am reading it right they do fine with their cam just not with other cams? I am sure they will recommend their cam with their heads as all aftermarket manf would. I mean anytime I got a sony audio piece the diagram it showed inside was all sony gear of ways it could be hooked up. If they did know of this I would hope or think they would put something somewhere in about it but idunno...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hang on here!

You guys arnt getting it. Let me try to explain better.

All the valves with in a single head among the modular and old windsors are exactly in line. In other words,... if the valves where connect the dots....you would have drawn a straight line. Were as the TFS heads intake and exhaust valves are opposing, creating two parallel lines, but with a tad bit of seperation from a median line.

Modular tfs heads:
Connect the dots straight line with intake valves. Connect the dots straight line with exhaust valves. Two separate parallel, connected the dots straight lines.

So them little roller bearings in the followers residing under the cam....now sit a tad bit off distance from each other. Meaning intake roller sits to the left a little and exhaust sits to the right a little, but not a dead straight line like a stock modular.

Ask questions please

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
Pretty crazy stuff to read. Making the TFS heads more of an less cost effective route to take with the 2v car.

2800$ish heads plus custom cams = 3500 (+-) factor labor and tuning into that and you could have coyote swapped it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
And alot of people look at it the same way!

Im a 5.4l 2v guy, I wanna get my hands on a set and test my skillz with them.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wait where are we finding Coyote swaps for $3500( I see an occasional truck engine for 3500-4k but not often)? Don't you need headers, control pack, oil pan and a few other things like tune and since we factored in labor with the above TF head/cam swap don't forget that also. I bet you will pay $6000+ for a Coyote in an SN95 if you are also paying for labor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online