Trick-Flow or Ford letter cam?

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
I'm gathering parts for when I have my engine pulled next year for a H/C/I upgrade and cant decide on the best cam choice. I have read and heard from a lot of people that the E and B 303 cams are old technology and that trick flow and others make better cams these days. With the combo I plan on running does anyone have any suggestions? Car is not and will not be a daily driver. Just a track and occasional street cruiser. Its getting an A/C delete and currently has no smog equipment on it either.

I'm going to keep my stock bottom end as my engine only has 125'000 miles

I already have a complete upper and lower explorer GT40 intake that I'm going to send off to tmoss and have the lower ported on.

I'm really looking at a set of SVE aluminum heads especially since they are on sale now for $765 and seem to have good reviews

my car is a 5 speed car and I latter plan to change my rear gears out to either 3.55 or 3.73 if this makes much of a difference

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I like my Trickflow stage one, paired with Trickflow TW 170cc heads, matching intake etc. I have 3.55 gears, love em!

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
I may go with the 3.55 gears then. I originally was going to go with a TF top end kit, but I'm trying to do this on a budget. I got the upper and lower intake for $175. I plan to be into all the parts for less then what just the TF heads go for

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the head prices new have gone up a fair amount in just the past few years. I got mine 5-6 yrs ago on sale before they got really bad.

riored4v

Reaction score
Why not consider custom?

I have a TF 170cc heads with a TF intake and Ed Curtis/FTI cam. Really happy with the setup when it was running and made good power.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I considered it myself but figured that tuning would be a bit easier with a cam that has been around and known already. I know a lot of people recommend custom to me custom just seemed like it could add questions later.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I have the Ford E cam waiting on the shelf...everyone says get a modern grind but the specs say this cam is proven & designed for more torque down low where I will use it all the time. A mild idle & easy on the tuning for a 94-95 OBD1. Many newer cams go for top end where I will not use it that much. I do not need max power just a fun car to drive with close to OEM reliability & driveability.

So AFR 165 heads, TMoss ported 95 Cobra intake, Cobra 65mm throttle body, ECam, 24lb injectors, new calibrated Mass Air, bigger fuel pump, 3:55 gears, Magnapacks with BBK off road H pipe, SCT chip for tuning. And any supporting items needed like a fuel pressure regulator...etc. Then later if I need more a turbo or Vortech since kenne bell dropped us pushrod 5.0's (if I have the funds of course)

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
I have the Ford E cam waiting on the shelf...everyone says get a modern grind but the specs say this cam is proven & designed for more torque down low where I will use it all the time. A mild idle & easy on the tuning for a 94-95 OBD1. Many newer cams go for top end where I will not use it that much. I do not need max power just a fun car to drive with close to OEM reliability & driveability.

So AFR 165 heads, TMoss ported 95 Cobra intake, Cobra 65mm throttle body, ECam, 24lb injectors, new calibrated Mass Air, bigger fuel pump, 3:55 gears, Magnapacks with BBK off road H pipe, SCT chip for tuning. And any supporting items needed like a fuel pressure regulator...etc. Then later if I need more a turbo or Vortech since kenne bell dropped us pushrod 5.0's (if I have the funds of course)

I'm really leaning toward the Ford cam. Not really sure about the mild idle part, all the E cams I have heard chop pretty good. What's different with the B cam? More lift and or duration ?

Mustanger

Reaction score
Here you go...The B cam will have more "lope" to it than the E...& work higher in the RPM range... The E is what I want to run for my kinda driving. The other cam that is good for our cars is the Steeda #19

Did some searching and found some spec's. Steeda #19 - 220*/226* - 280*/286* - .480"/.480" - 115* - 2,300-6,000 RPM

1.6 Roller Rockers (.006")
Intake Opening: 26* BTDC
Intake Closing: 74* ABDC
Exhaust Opening: 79* BBDC
Exhaust Closing: 27* ATDC

The E cam (in the FRPP catalog) makes peak HP at 5500rpm and torque at 2500 rpm.
The B cam makes peak HP at 5100 and torque at 3300.
The F cam makes peak HP at 6000 and torque at 2800.

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
Here you go...The B cam will have more "lope" to it than the E...& work higher in the RPM range... The E is what I want to run for my kinda driving. The other cam that is good for our cars is the Steeda #19

Did some searching and found some spec's. Steeda #19 - 220*/226* - 280*/286* - .480"/.480" - 115* - 2,300-6,000 RPM

1.6 Roller Rockers (.006")
Intake Opening: 26* BTDC
Intake Closing: 74* ABDC
Exhaust Opening: 79* BBDC
Exhaust Closing: 27* ATDC

The E cam (in the FRPP catalog) makes peak HP at 5500rpm and torque at 2500 rpm.
The B cam makes peak HP at 5100 and torque at 3300.
The F cam makes peak HP at 6000 and torque at 2800.

That F cam sounds fun The X cam seems a bit wild also from the specs maybe both of those are tad to much

Mustanger

Reaction score
Just have a good tuner that likes to play with an OBD1 94/95'S...we will need a chip to tune it with and I'm sure a dyno tune at the end

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
Just have a good tuner that likes to play with an OBD1 94/95'S...we will need a chip to tune it with and I'm sure a dyno tune at the end
Is that true for the e and b cams also or do they play nice enough with the stock computer to get by without a tuner? I would like to one day get the Anderson ford tuner

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are a few cams that are supposed to be good with out a tune but its still a crap shoot as to if you will or will not.

Mustanger

Reaction score
More folks out here on the West Coast seem to use the SCT tuners & chips or Quarter Horse.... I think my E cam will be nice enough to get me to the duno tune...

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
More folks out here on the West Coast seem to use the SCT tuners & chips or Quarter Horse.... I think my E cam will be nice enough to get me to the duno tune...

I must be misinformed I thought the 94 and 95 were the bastard step children tune wise and was pretty much limited to the Anderson ford programmer ?

I hear a lot of good things about the quarter horse tuner over on the Bronco forum from guys with the latter EFI rigs I just have never looked into it or paid it any attention as mine is old school carbed with the 300 I6

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they are more difficult to tune. The anderson was probably the first but also probably one of the least technoligically advanced now. I am in the middle of installing a holley efi system, megasquirt is another big name in engine management but for the 94/95 you either know a good tuner to mess with it or your learning how to do it yourself. If there is a reliable tuner nearby I would hit them up, I just don't have access to anyone reliable here.

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
they are more difficult to tune. The anderson was probably the first but also probably one of the least technoligically advanced now. I am in the middle of installing a holley efi system, megasquirt is another big name in engine management but for the 94/95 you either know a good tuner to mess with it or your learning how to do it yourself. If there is a reliable tuner nearby I would hit them up, I just don't have access to anyone reliable here.
I have 1 place in mind. Hell being the 4th largest city there should be a few around I just have to find them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online