trick flow stage 1 cam?

gtowner

Reaction score
I have a 94 gt woth just the basic mods, would it be any advantage buying a trick flow s1 cam? thanks!

G

GREG@SN95

you want a cam thats set to work nice with the stock heads and valvetrain...

You should look into getting the trickflow head/cam/intake Combo... ya'll be much better off

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree, I've heard aftermarket cams are not worth it if you're running stock heads and intake. Save for a H/C/I swap and do it all at once, then get her tuned :thumb:

G

GREG@SN95

OnyxCobra said:
I agree, I've heard aftermarket cams are not worth it if you're running stock heads and intake. Save for a H/C/I swap and do it all at once, then get her tuned :thumb:

they are well worth it...

But if you plan on doing the heads later on... then its best to wait...

Its important for everything to work together...

If you just want a better sounding exhaust and 20 hp... Go for it

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to disagree, there have been cases where an aftermarket cam has produced less power than a stock cam w/ the stock heads and intake. It's a lot of work for the sound, I dont think there's any way you'll ever see 20hp from a cam with stock heads, unless you have a Cobra...

snoball

Reaction score
There have been many people who gained 15-20 with the right cam on a basically stock 5.0 I have the tfs 1 and i love it! Pulls hard, idles good and doesnt cause to many problems untuned with the computer (itd run alot better if tuned, but you can run untuned)
I dont have heads which are holding me back, but a good cheap hp combo would be to buy a cobra intake (port it or buy one), get some gt40 or gt40ps ( some port work), and a small cam and you'll be close to the 300 hp range.

G

GREG@SN95

OnyxCobra said:
I have to disagree, there have been cases where an aftermarket cam has produced less power than a stock cam w/ the stock heads and intake. It's a lot of work for the sound, I dont think there's any way you'll ever see 20hp from a cam with stock heads, unless you have a Cobra...

If you you put a cam that matches the RPM range and has the lift and duration that best matches the heads/valve train... you will see power gains...

If you put a stage 3 cam on the stocks heads... now thats silly...

But you could through a nice cam on the stock heads, redo the valves... and come out with a louder, meaner exhaust... and 10-30 HP/TQ

You just need to talk to a pro that knows his cams... and you need to decide whether or not you plan on doin a H/C/I swap down the road... cause if thats your plan, your best bet is to buy a trickflow kit where everything is designed to work togther...

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
i think the TF stage 1 cam is the cam i am going to go with when the time comes. but i was hoping for 30/30 increase at the least for the trouble.

a little advise... while you are in there, replace the lifters (if they are the stock OEM) and valve springs (stock can't handle increased lift and they are old).

Spyder

Reaction score
I have the TFS stage one cam and i love it as well.

Granted i have heads and some other goodies, but i would recommend that cam to anyone.

G

GREG@SN95

OpenRoadRacer said:
i think the TF stage 1 cam is the cam i am going to go with when the time comes. but i was hoping for 30/30 increase at the least for the trouble.

a little advise... while you are in there, replace the lifters (if they are the stock OEM) and valve springs (stock can't handle increased lift and they are old).

I would seek advice of a professional... you need to talk to someone that specializes in cams...

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
OpenRoadRacer said:

I would seek advice of a professional... you need to talk to someone that specializes in cams...

you think so?

hmmm i'm thinking you're suggesting a custom grind?

if so, what are your thoughts.

G

GREG@SN95

OpenRoadRacer said:
GREG@SN95 said:
OpenRoadRacer said:

you think so?

not at all... call up someone who specializes in motor building and knows their stuff... someone educated with cams... they can tell you either the best cam... or the max/min duration, lift etc...

then you find that cam and buy it...

they might say the best cam to use is out of a 93 cobra... or they might say go with a compcam...

So call someone up... tell them you want the optimal cam to use with the stock top end...

unless you plan on redoin the top end... then you will be wasting your time and money...

Its very important that the cam, heads, and intake all work together... there are also other thingd to take into consideration like power adders (turbos, superchargers, and nitrous)... So if you're planning a power adder then you may want to wait...

The wrong cam will make the engine run bad... lose power... lose milage... and put severe wear and tear to the motor which will shorten the motors life...

-----------------------------

If I was you... I'd save my money... buy the trickflow street setup...

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
OpenRoadRacer said:
GREG@SN95 said:
OpenRoadRacer said:

you think so?

not at all... call up someone who specializes in motor building and knows their stuff... someone educated with cams... they can tell you either the best cam... or the max/min duration, lift etc...

they might say the best cam to use is out of a 93 cobra... or they might say go with a compcam...

So call someone up... tell them you want the optimal cam to use with the stock top end...

unless you plan on redoin the top end... then you will be wasting your time and money...

Its very important that the cam, heads, and intake all work together... there are also other thingd to take into consideration like power adders (turbos, superchargers, and nitrous)... So if you're planning a power adder then you may want to wait...

The wrong cam will make the engine run bad... lose power... lose milage... and put severe wear and tear to the motor which will shorten the motors life...

i hear what you are saying and agree.

i was just thinking that the TF stage 1 would be compatible with my iron GT40's and Cobra intake. i could always open up the heads and intake a little too.

i once called Ford Racing tech line and asked what the stock Cobra specs were and I believe they said something like 210/210 @.50 with .479 lift with the 1.7's. that would be the F3ZE-6250-CA.

but then i found this on another mustang board... so who knows?

F1ZE-6250-AA is the cam that was used from 91 until 93 and in the 94-95 Cobra
I.O./I.C./Lift 20°/76°/0.278
E.O./E.C./Lift 67°/19°/0.278
Duration - Int/Exh 276°/266°
Valve Lift - Int./Exh. (1.6 rocker arm ratio) 0.444"/0.444"
Overlap 39°

Only the 93 Cobra cam was bigger, F3ZE-6250-CA
I.O./I.C./Lift 19°/71°/0.282
E.O./E.C./Lift 75.5°/14.5°/0.282
Duration - Int/Exh 270°/270°
Valve Lift - Int./Exh. (1.7 rocker arm ratio) 0.479"/0.479"
Overlap 33.5°

i'll call ford tomorrow and get the part number for it.

but you're right about getting professional advise about what grind to go with.

Addermk2

Reaction score
cobras 93-95 all had the same cam

check out this image for the cam specs

camstatslg0.jpg

G

GREG@SN95

OpenRoadRacer said:
GREG@SN95 said:
OpenRoadRacer said:
GREG@SN95 said:
OpenRoadRacer said:

you think so?

i hear what you are saying and agree.

i was just thinking that the TF stage 1 would be compatible with my iron GT40's and Cobra intake. i could always open up the heads and intake a little too.

i once called Ford Racing tech line and asked what the stock Cobra specs were and I believe they said something like 210/210 @.50 with .479 lift with the 1.7's. that would be the F3ZE-6250-CA.

but then i found this on another mustang board... so who knows?

F1ZE-6250-AA is the cam that was used from 91 until 93 and in the 94-95 Cobra
I.O./I.C./Lift 20°/76°/0.278
E.O./E.C./Lift 67°/19°/0.278
Duration - Int/Exh 276°/266°
Valve Lift - Int./Exh. (1.6 rocker arm ratio) 0.444"/0.444"
Overlap 39°

Only the 93 Cobra cam was bigger, F3ZE-6250-CA
I.O./I.C./Lift 19°/71°/0.282
E.O./E.C./Lift 75.5°/14.5°/0.282
Duration - Int/Exh 270°/270°
Valve Lift - Int./Exh. (1.7 rocker arm ratio) 0.479"/0.479"
Overlap 33.5°

i'll call ford tomorrow and get the part number for it.

but you're right about getting professional advise about what grind to go with.

whoa now!

I hope you're not under the impression that I am recomending a cam out of a 93 cobra... i was just giving an example of what they might say...

But yes... make a few calls... get some advice from a few pros... and roll with that... I wouldn't trust info I found online... 90% of the people online think they know their shit but are just complete tards

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
What i mean is the cam is not the 5.0s weak point, you will gain far more HP from upgrading the heads and intake than you will the cam, and any cam you use to gain HP with stock heads is probably going to be too small to make great power if/when you do upgrade the heads and intake. I just recommend doing it all at once and thus avoiding doing most of the work twice...

G

GREG@SN95

OnyxCobra said:
What i mean is the cam is not the 5.0s weak point, you will gain far more HP from upgrading the heads and intake than you will the cam, and any cam you use to gain HP with stock heads is probably going to be too small to make great power if/when you do upgrade the heads and intake. I just recommend doing it all at once and thus avoiding doing most of the work twice...

yes... but he may not want to do a H/C/I swap...

so 80bucks for a cam might be fine

snoball

Reaction score
Cheap hp =s ported iron gt40s (you can get ported sets very cheap all over), ported upper/lower cobra intake (thats what i have), and a tfs 1 cam. Then do some usual bolt ons like underdrives, maybe a slighty bigger throttle body and maf etc.. if you have the money. You can run untuned, or use the money on a tune.

In my opinion the trick flow street package is overpriced and doesnt make the horsepower for how much you pay.

Kind of like buying a gt40 crate motor from ford.. All it has is a intake and few little thing but otherwise its a 5.0 ... And you pay like 5 grand for it. Pointless..

G

GREG@SN95

Snoball said:
Cheap hp =s ported iron gt40s (you can get ported sets very cheap all over), ported upper/lower cobra intake (thats what i have), and a tfs 1 cam. Then do some usual bolt ons like underdrives, maybe a slighty bigger throttle body and maf etc.. if you have the money. You can run untuned, or use the money on a tune.

In my opinion the trick flow street package is overpriced and doesnt make the horsepower for how much you pay.

Kind of like buying a gt40 crate motor from ford.. All it has is a intake and few little thing but otherwise its a 5.0 ... And you pay like 5 grand for it. Pointless..

Leave stock TB... its not worth it unless you are making alot of power or have forced induction...

And the stock MAF won't max out until close the 600 hp range...

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
Snoball said:

Leave stock TB... its not worth it unless you are making alot of power or have forced induction...

And the stock MAF won't max out until close the 600 hp range...

with an N/A car i can't help but think a high flow MAF makes more power than stock. the stock MAF's are very restrictive and without forced induction, i think it's a hinderance.

i went on Summit's website and it stated that the TFS stage 1 was not computer controlled compatible. so, you're right about the cam. the best thing is to go in person and talk to a couple performance shops and get their input. and then hit a 3rd one if they give 2 different opinions.

oh yeah, i called 2 different ford dealerships and got the same casting number for the 95 Cobra cam. it is the F3ZE-6250-CA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online