Trick Flow top end engine kit, how much power would it produce?

SBSVT

Reaction score
Below is the link to the topend kit that summit is selling and I was reading and saw it said 390hp, is this really possible from buying this kit and getting a good tune done? I want to hit somewhere in the range of 350rwhp give or take some. I honestly would rather do it N/A but I think the easiest way will be force induction. If I can achieve these numbers with tjust this kit and a tune then I will definantly be getting these when I get back from basic. What else would be required to go along with this kit? Is there any recommended add-ons with this kit? Anything else I didn't ask that I should know before I decide to dump my money into these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K519-390-375/

OP
OP
S

SBSVT

Reaction score
lol yea I hope so because I would much rather do a N/A build but it's tough to get power through N/A when you could just bolt up and blower and bam theres 100 ponies. In my opinion an N/A engine is what real muscle is all about because that power is coming from the engine and not some piece of equipment that helps it breath.

jojo22

Reaction score
HAHA!! You mean the engine is not on life support??

OP
OP
S

SBSVT

Reaction score
HAHAHA exactly! lol I feel that true American muscle is N/A because it's all natural and don't need help from anything. I'm not against forced induction by any means, I have a friend with a built SVT Focus that turbo charged and that is one pretty badass car, so I love forced induction, I just rather not have it on my v8 stallion.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
Whats more american muscle-in-your-face than a giant weiland/roots s/c sticking out the hood sayin `NOMNOMNOMNOM`

OP
OP
S

SBSVT

Reaction score
yes thats pretty badass, but I would rather have N/A than blown. It's just my personal preferance. Don't get me wrong I still like superchargers and turbos and I like most cars that they are on, but for my build I want this car to be N/A. So do you guys know much about my question above, all input is good because it's obivously something I didn't know since I'm asking the question.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
Yeah there is something about high HP n/a cars. I totally hear you, thats why i built a 5.4 instead of a 4.6 lol.

OP
OP
S

SBSVT

Reaction score
I dont want a crazy built, I just want about 350rwhp, but I believe I'd be happy will a little less, but 350 is my ultimate goal without having to tear the block apart. Do you think its managable with that head setup and the trickflow intake and throttle body and maybe higher flow fuel pump and injectors and a good tune.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
I`ve heard good things about those kits before man. It`s definately a lot easier than chasing down all the odd and ends parts you would need. If i were you i`d do it

OP
OP
S

SBSVT

Reaction score
So do you guys think I could hit 350rwhp with the complete top end kit with the trickflow intake manifold and throttle body, injectors, fuel pump, and a tune?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
It will be tricky with that kit. Last year at the Superbowl (Joliet Il NMRA race) I talked to the guy from trickflow for a while and I'm very VERY suspect of their numbers. He couldn't tell me if he numbers were or were not corrected, he couldn't tell me the temp or DA of the runs. He couldn't tell me engine temp or weight of oil. Also didn't know the type of dyno OR the type of tire. ALOT and I mean ALOT of variables.

My shortblock is a twin of an nmra Factory Stock motor, will see north of 12.8:1 Compression, and will e lucky to see over 350 my self. The Factory Stock engine with SVO heads, Svo intake manifold, and factory stock spec cams made 385 at the tires with race fuel. So you can see why I say your car will be lucky to make the 385 number they throw out there.

Lee12609

Reaction score
350 to the wheels N/A, BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! good luck hope your pockets are VERY deep.

n/a builds are great if you are a serious drag racer, but for a street car a power adder makes SO much more sense. to make BIG power N/A you need ALOT of compression, ALOT of cam, and ALOT of RPMs, all of which take ALOT away from driveability. you'd most likely HATE driving a car with the above combo on a daily basis putting around town at low RPMs would mean you'd be way out of your powerband so it would be such a dog. in such situations you'd want ALOT of gear to get you into the powerband quickly, in turn making highway drives unforgiving. i hate cruising 3000+ rpm at 80mph, but i do alot of highway driving.

good luck, i still say a good combo for 96-98 owners is a basic PI engine swap and low boost, good power and a great torque curve, and still 20+ mpg with 350-400whp with the push of the pedal...

PS- i'm a little biased though!

duff is hard core N/A, and his car will most likely be borderline daily driveable if at all... but its good to have diversity and its always awesome to see people do different things, so decide what you want, what works best for you and your driving/budget and go with it. dont worry about horsepower, people think thats the END ALL answer is more power, simply not true. anybody can build a car to make XXXwhp and any dyno operator can make any car "read" XXXwhp, so i personally could care less if they SAY they have 450whp or only 300whp because who's to say EITHER is right, only the dyno operator knows for sure....

McCloud

Reaction score
I made 316/301 with the Trick Flow 44cc heads, Trick Flow intake, 75mm TB, CMS Stg III turbo cams, and BBK shorty headers on a 9.0:1 323 cu. in shortblock through a stalled automatic. I think it would've been possible for me to make 350rwhp had I run higher compression, used some large duration high lift NA cams, and used my old longtubes.

Lee12609

Reaction score
McCloud said:
I made 316/301 with the Trick Flow 44cc heads, Trick Flow intake, 75mm TB, CMS Stg III turbo cams, and BBK shorty headers on a 9.0:1 323 cu. in shortblock through a stalled automatic. I think it would've been possible for me to make 350rwhp had I run higher compression, used some large duration high lift NA cams, and used my old longtubes.

thats over 350 with a manual trans, but how high was you revving to get them numbers???

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
army35m said:
So do you guys think I could hit 350rwhp with the complete top end kit with the trickflow intake manifold and throttle body, injectors, fuel pump, and a tune?

not even close, 300-310 more likely

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
justin you do kn0ow their test mule made 385 last year with their heads and stage 2 cams with stock upper and t/b right? ....

Lee12609

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
justin you do kn0ow their test mule made 385 last year with their heads and stage 2 cams with stock upper and t/b right? ....

funny nobody has came close to duplicating those numbers. if i ever decide to dyno my car i'm taking it to THAT dyno and asking for THAT operator.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
well if you read my first post they couldnt give me ANY of the dyno info like I said before it was pretty sad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online