True dual exhaust system

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all I’m just wondering what sort of performance drop and what type of sound difference I would get if I changed my exhaust set up to a tire dual exhaust system with NO cross over.
I am not after performance, I have a convertible and just what the best classic V8 exhaust note I can get. I know I could cam it to get the sound but was just wondering what a true dual exhaust system would do to the sound

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You would hear each bank a little more independently like some of the old schools but not enough to be worth it. The cam profile is what’s going to give you that hard hitting thump like the old muscle cars. Not only will you not gain anything by this you’d actually lose a bit as the crossovers are there to help with flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Ok so it’s not worth it. Do you actually know what sort of power loss I will be look at?
I was hoping the 4.10 gears would cover any low end power loss

Moninder singh

Reaction score
Hey man I had a 94 5.0 with high flow cats, H pipe and no mufflers, and stock diameter piping true duals would sound similar to this but like another poster said you’d be able to hear each bank of cylinders more, also from the true duals I’ve heard they sound nice, here’s a video of mine as a close reference to the type of sound, no power or torque loss just smiles from ear to ear

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
everything I have read said that loosing the cross over will give at the very least a small loss in power.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Sod it I’m going to cut and block the H pipe and see what happens

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hey man I had a 94 5.0 with high flow cats, H pipe and no mufflers, and stock diameter piping true duals would sound similar to this but like another poster said you’d be able to hear each bank of cylinders more, also from the true duals I’ve heard they sound nice, here’s a video of mine as a close reference to the type of sound, no power or torque loss just smiles from ear to ear

that sound sweet mate

Moninder singh

Reaction score
Thanks, btw the drone can get a little annoying with 3.73 and shorter gears but not as bad as flowcrapsters, put some dynamat in the trunk and under the rear seats if it gets too bothersome, but at lower rpm like say cruising at 65 below 2000rpm it’s not bad if you decide to go with something like 3.27’s or longer gear

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Adam,
Are you sure you'd want to chop up a mid pipe versus just putting in mufflers that will better suite your needs? An H pipe produces some of the deepest exhaust notes I've ever heard without sacrificing sound (pro chamber isn't as loud. X pipe is raspy).

The H pipe cancels out some of the unwanted noise so you don't sound like a old truck - for lack of a better term. I feel like you'd be better off getting mufflers to achieve the sound you're looking for.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Thanks, btw the drone can get a little annoying with 3.73 and shorter gears but not as bad as flowcrapsters, put some dynamat in the trunk and under the rear seats if it gets too bothersome, but at lower rpm like say cruising at 65 below 2000rpm it’s not bad if you decide to go with something like 3.27’s or longer gear

I had 4.10's and went 3.73's. I absolutely love my 3.73's over my 4.10's. The 4.10 just wasn't fun to drive with a 5 speed and if I had to get on the highway, forget it.

I've sound deadened my entire car. Literally everything, and it helps a ton with NVH. I still get drone from my exhaust set up but the NVH was greatly decreased. If anything it seemed to make the exhaust note cleaner from the inside because I'm not hearing everything else. Mainly the tires since I'm staggered. The rears can get ever so noisy. Probably doesn't help I'm a Vert as well.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I’m a vent as well and my H section needs replacing it’s not in a good condition hence the experiment with making a true dual exhaust system. 90% of my driving is in town traffic but I do get what your saying about motorway drive. The drone from my exhaust with my 4.10 gears can get on your nerves after a while when sitting at a constant 70mph

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Some of these newer exhaust systems sound to much like a cherry bomb or glass pack
That was old school
To be honest with you flow masters has been at for years every since the first 5.0 came out
They are the true deep rumbling
Perfectly balanced sound

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Well I’m a little pissed of now. When I brought the car it was advertised as having a full Mac flow exhaust system from the longer tube headers to the tail pipes but now I’ve done some research I’ve found out that this was a lie. The long tube headers a very corroded so doubt they are MAC ones plus the mid section looks just like a stock H pipe which has been cut to fit and the rear section is unknown but the rear silences are flow masters
ECF4C280-2514-4636-A4B8-17EAFF0D134A.jpeg 840C400F-305D-4E4E-AB09-5D97615A8956.jpeg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
That's the American thunder 40 series the quiet one
If you do go with flow masters super 44 s would be recommended
Well I’m a little pissed of now. When I brought the car it was advertised as having a full Mac flow exhaust system from the longer tube headers to the tail pipes but now I’ve done some research I’ve found out that this was a lie. The long tube headers a very corroded so doubt they are MAC ones plus the mid section looks just like a stock H pipe which has been cut to fit and the rear section is unknown but the rear silences are flow masters
View attachment 4690 View attachment 4691

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its an American v8 my man!!! Just cut the mufflers off or straight Itll sound bada$$ regardless!

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
In the U.K. I would be pulled over with in seconds if I ran a straight exhaust with no silancer not sure what the laws are like in the states but they are tight over here on noise pollution

NEURON

Reaction score
I won't put a muffler on I can't see through. Dyno Max Ultraflow was my eventual choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online