Trunk pan questions

Royal96

Reaction score
So recently I've discovered my trunk floor is rusted through in quite a few spots. I don't want to let this continue, so I plan on fixing it up this winter while I have the car parked.
Ideally, I'd like to just cut the whole floor out and weld in a new one, but I am unsure of a couple things:
a) Is there anywhere I can buy the trunk pan, like how you can find floor pans for the older cars by chance?
b) Does the trunk floor have any structural significance to the body or chassis of the car?

I ask the second question because if the answer to "a" is "no", I'd consider riveting in sheet aluminum or something similar to a) save weight (not that I think itd make that big of a difference, but why not?) and b) have one less place to worry about rust. I also ask so I know how careful I need to be while cutting the floor out.

I'll be dropping the gas tank to get it out of the way as well, obviously.
But is there anything else I would need to know before setting out to do this?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im gonna take a stab in the dark here since nobody else answered. Id imagine that it probably does have structural significance in the rear so as long as its just a few spots Id just cut out a few pieces and weld it in. Ive personally never heard of anyone cutting out their trunk to weld in a piece of metal so I dont think its common practice to cut weight, etc. my 00's trunk was rusted through and I was seeing how deep it was with a tire iron and punched a hole in my trunk years ago lol. Needless to say I just left it that way.

Oh and arent you also on ModdedMustangs?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Supercharged4v, I think that's his name. He's got the drift beast!! He cut his trunk pan out to put his radiator in his trunk. Check out his build.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
Royal96

Royal96

Reaction score
Im gonna take a stab in the dark here since nobody else answered. Id imagine that it probably does have structural significance in the rear so as long as its just a few spots Id just cut out a few pieces and weld it in. Ive personally never heard of anyone cutting out their trunk to weld in a piece of metal so I dont think its common practice to cut weight, etc. my 00's trunk was rusted through and I was seeing how deep it was with a tire iron and punched a hole in my trunk years ago lol. Needless to say I just left it that way.

Oh and arent you also on ModdedMustangs?

The problem with just cutting the few spots out is that it really is quite a bit of the trunk that is rusted through. As for it being a common practice to save weight, like I said, I doubt it would save much or any weight at all, my main reason for putting in an aluminum sheet is to not have to worry about rust there ever again.

And yeah, I am. I recognize your username too.

Supercharged4v, I think that's his name. He's got the drift beast!! He cut his trunk pan out to put his radiator in his trunk. Check out his build.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

I think I've actually seen his build. I know I saw someone's who cut out their trunk to put a radiator, but Im just not sure if they added in extra supports? I'll have to go back and look.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
The important part is maintaining the subframes. If you think its cuttign too much you might want to have a frame shop look at it ..... if the rust goes through the subframes have them repair it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.