Trunk poppers

Reaction score
Here's a silly question, is the trunk supposed to open when you release the latch? I put on new struts so I can at least open it without doing warmup deadlifts first. But it doesn't budge on its own. Just thought I'd ask if this was normal since most cars it opens at least a couple inches, if not all the way, when you hit the button.

OP
OP
SouthernGorilla
Reaction score
never did when we got ours new. They are just designed to hold it open.
Thanks. I thought the poppers might be shot. Guess they're just enough to keep it from latching back on its own.

I know it's absurd how heavy that lid is.

Monday

Reaction score
When I put new ones on, they opened the trunk on their own quite nicely. After a week the honeymoon was over and I had to use two fingers and it would open. I was thinking of getting them replaced because I was almost that lazy. Two fingers... :D

Flade

Reaction score
Without a Spoiler they will likely pop open with new struts. With the heavy spoiler they are just strong enough to keep it from relatching

TrickVert

Reaction score
Are you folks referring to the struts, or something else? The trunk on my 'vert pops ever so slightly but when I go to lift it, it's almost like I'm *fighting* the struts until it gets to the halfway point, then it comes up the rest of the way easily. Any idea what gives?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I had a 95 crown victoria that had a trunk lid that popped open with a vengeance! It had 2 buttons. One on the driver door and in the glove box. If someone was hoovering over the trunk lid when one of them buttons were preseed, it would upper cut them good.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea most of the older cars the hinge went down into the trunk and like he said there were bars there to help raise them. I think because of the already small trunk opening getting a hinge that would have taken up even more space would have made the trunk unusable. With the hinge on top of the fenders and the struts with no real vertical throw they help but I swear since the day I brought our 94 gt home new it only opened it a couple inches at most

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah