Trying to determine if car was geared already....

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Been thinking about throwing in some 4.10s in my Cobra, but since I have no records of mods on this car I am not sure if it was changed already.

Found a chart that says at 65 mph in 5th gear what RPM I should be turning for certain gears but my problem is that I know my speedo is off, which leads me to believe it might already be geared. The faster I go, the more it is off and at my perceived 75 mph is when I am actually going 65. Tires/wheels are stock size, so I know that is not the issue.

Anyone have any insight on how to figure this out? Can I just base it off of RPM and being in 5th gear?

I know 3.55s turn 2k at 65 mph in 5th gear, so despite not knowing the real speed I could conceivably just use RPM...... I think....

Any help is appreciated. Though I have owned many Mustangs, I never geared any of them so this is new to me. :undecided:

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The only sure way to know is to pull the diff cover.
Another semi accurate way is to jack the rear end off the ground and place on jack stands. Trans in neutral. Mark drive shaft with sharpie, crayon, or what ever you got handy. Now slowly spin BOTH TIRES TOGETHER 1 revolution and count how many times the drive shaft spins.
3 1/2 revolutions= 3:55. 3 3/4 revolutions= 3:73, just over 4 revolutions = 4:10 gears.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
The only sure way to know is to pull the diff cover.
Another semi accurate way is to jack the rear end off the ground and place on jack stands. Trans in neutral. Mark drive shaft with sharpie, crayon, or what ever you got handy. Now slowly spin BOTH TIRES TOGETHER 1 revolution and count how many times the drive shaft spins.
3 1/2 revolutions= 3:55. 3 3/4 revolutions= 3:73, just over 4 revolutions = 4:10 gears.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. If I pulled the diff cover, what exactly would I be looking for?

Oh, also when I have 2k RPM in 5th gear my speedo shows 70 mph... Ugh.

lutter94

Reaction score
I am going to guess 3.73's. Post when you verify what it really is......The ford racing speed cal is worth its weight in gold.

martinbaca18

Reaction score
There is a speedo app on the iPhone. And they are pretty accurate. Just use that to get your mph from that app and then look at your rpms. That's how I would do it.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
There is a speedo app on the iPhone. And they are pretty accurate. Just use that to get your mph from that app and then look at your rpms. That's how I would do it.

I has no iPhone. Android. But I have used 2 different apps and both are right on with how much I am off. No worries, I am always slower than the speedo so at least I won't get a ticket for being too fast.

Why have I not ordered the gears yet? Weird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online