TT or S/C setup?

OP
OP
S

scott5

Reaction score
GregT94SCC said:
If you keep your foot out of it a KB doesn't boost. It only creates boost when you open the throttle enough to lose vacuum. And when in vacuum it takes very little horsepower to spin due to the "windmill" effect. Its like running your AC in terms of parasitic loss. The only time it surprised me was on its maiden voyage it came on boost while I was turning (due to pilot error).

What kind of numbers are you pushing? And you glad you went with a KB?

OP
OP
S

scott5

Reaction score
I called KB tech line yesterday and they used 185cc heads on there test 5.0 and got 500 rear wheel hp

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Paul said:
quickstang_1994 said:
you can't beat afr's

+1 - dollar for dollar I'd say they're tough to beat for outstanding performance.

Quickstang, don't you think AFR205s would be a bit much for even a moderately nasty (500rwhp) 347? I mean, I've seen some 205s on a couple of local cars here in that displacement range, but they had REALLY mean combos and pushed out between 700 and 900+ rwhp. I think 185s would be the better choice for most of the smaller displacement strokers.

Paul.
the 185 will work good with low boost but 205 with a good bit of boost. If he only wants 500 stick with a 302 (stock bottom will work) hci and a little boost. and yes the combo I laid out is for around 850rwhp. But since he is starting fresh then dont waste money 500rwhp get slow after a while. with 205 he has room to grow when needed.

OP
OP
S

scott5

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
Paul said:
quickstang_1994 said:
you can't beat afr's

+1 - dollar for dollar I'd say they're tough to beat for outstanding performance.

Quickstang, don't you think AFR205s would be a bit much for even a moderately nasty (500rwhp) 347? I mean, I've seen some 205s on a couple of local cars here in that displacement range, but they had REALLY mean combos and pushed out between 700 and 900+ rwhp. I think 185s would be the better choice for most of the smaller displacement strokers.

Paul.
the 185 will work good with low boost but 205 with a good bit of boost. If he only wants 500 stick with a 302 (stock bottom will work) hci and a little boost. and yes the combo I laid out is for around 850rwhp. But since he is starting fresh then dont waste money 500rwhp get slow after a while. with 205 he has room to grow when needed.

You think that 347 will make that much hp??

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Yes, I been thinking of doing a new combo to get some more power but I will have to get a dart block(not cheap). I want something to handle all of these new cars with all that power like a modded z06(800-900rwhp)

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
scott5 said:
You think that 347 will make that much hp??

Not without a substantially gigantic turbo or two. Or a very large blower (e.g. YSi Trim, etc...)

Here's an AFR205-headed 347 that belongs to a friend of mine. It puts out those kind of numbers, but I think if you look at the pics - you might be able to figure out why.

Big%20Jay's%20Motor.jpg

Big%20Jay's%20Turbo.jpg

It takes a large amount of blower/turbo cfm to push those kind of numbers. What are the flow specs on the KB?

Paul.

OP
OP
S

scott5

Reaction score
WEll I am ordering the new boss block next week

So far here is my list

AFR 225 heads
42 lb injectors
90mm mass air
75mm tb
KB 2.1 blowzilla at 10psi
NX 50 shot
ported cobra lower

What cam should i be looking at?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
You're ordering AFR225s to put on a 347 that makes 500 rwhp? ???

GaryG

Reaction score
talk to Ed Curtis at FTI...he'll be able to help u out

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awsome man, good luck with the build.

ya know, once you get much past 500 HP, you have to beef up everything else in the drive train to handle the powa.
that's the situation I'm in - and still not done.... suspension, transmission, rear end, and you need stickies!

any blower is sweet, and depending on how much low end your motor puts out, would effect my decission.
KB - insta powa on the street would be a lot of fun.
Centri - if your motor has some torque to get you moving, the launch ramp effect would feel good too. and traction would be less of an issue.
Turbo - more efficient, and more expensive. traction is still an issue, heat can be an issue...

it's really more involved than this depending you the rest of the build and your goals. but that's the way I look at it.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
ill be one to reccommend that if u do plan on doing big modifications to your car (ie, s/c, turbo, or alot of nitrous) get a well built rear tranny and good clutch. with my powerdyne im only seeing 5lbs of boost and making prolly 250-260 to the wheels (on a good day) but with my stock rear, and all the launches the car has seen, it needs an upgrade BAD.

GaryG

Reaction score
nes said:
ill be one to reccommend that if u do plan on doing big modifications to your car (ie, s/c, turbo, or alot of nitrous) get a well built rear tranny and good clutch. with my powerdyne im only seeing 5lbs of boost and making prolly 250-260 to the wheels (on a good day) but with my stock rear, and all the launches the car has seen, it needs an upgrade BAD.

x1000...thats y im installing 31 spline axles, detriot locker, and built auto before i drop the turbo'd motor in this GT

LAFENATU

Reaction score
scott5 said:
WEll I am ordering the new boss block next week

So far here is my list

AFR 225 heads
42 lb injectors
90mm mass air
75mm tb
KB 2.1 blowzilla at 10psi
NX 50 shot
ported cobra lower

What cam should i be looking at?

I would do:

- Forged Boss 331
- Pro-M 80mm
- 72lb injectors
- AFR 205's
- Shaft mount 1.6's
- Edelbrock Victor 5.0
- Vortech YSi
- Ed Curtis Solid Roller
- DFI

:pimp2:

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
With only a goal of 400rwhp a supercher will be plenty, TT's are more beneficial for strip cars that can produce upper hp's. It would be a waste of money to buy a TT setup and barely use any of its potential. Vortech ftmfw!

+1