Tune for NA 5.4?

garrittpwl

Reaction score
So its been some time since I've been here and back 2 years ago there was some doubt as to if it would happen or not but my 5.4 2v build is a success thus far and runs. If you frequent any of the facebook SN95 groups or follow @riored96 on IG you'll likely have seen my build.

That aside I now would like a base tune and I'm finding it hard to get a straight answer from anyone in regards to such.

The build is as follows;
5.4 forged/studded bottom end/flat top pistons (11:1)
PI heads w/light hand porting and +1mm oversized valves
Comp 278 cams
vic jr intake w/MMR adapter to use SR throttlebody.
30lb Bosche type III injectors
fluid balancer w/SR underdrive system (minus balancer obv)
BBK Equal length shorty headers to an offroad H pipe
Tons of other stuff I'm sure I'm missing but yeah, you get the point.

I have all stock electronic systems in place and functional currently as well, EGR, IAC, IAT, MAF(stock), cruise control, AC, etc etc.

Who do yall recommend that can write me up a base tune for an SCT x4 to start with? I have AFR as well with 5v output for datalogging into the SCT.
Link to car running (sounds like a monster :p )
Pictured below is it in the car

270232276_10165766197105167_8719004068613154824_n.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
what type of spacer for the intake you did say mmr like the delete plates for dohc or are they different

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Could give Blankenship tuning a call or email. Your build isnt much over any other 5.4l 2v build and the amount of swaps out there, their should be enough tunes to get you close.

Once you get a base tune, its still a good idea to get the dyno tune. Especially with the 30lb injectors.

ill fore warn you now, staying naturally aspirated, dont expect great hp just because you up'd on cubic inches. Given the same head senario on a 4.6l the hp output will be compairable. Intake valve size is the deciding factor here. Piston speeds will choke that port and valve out. The 5.4l stroke piston speeds are phenomenal and typically 1200rpm less than a 4.6l. If you know of any other similar 4.6l builds hp output, yours will be in the same ballpark. Laws of physics simply will not allow any more hp power naturally aspirated. I know this isnt what you want to hear, but many swap to a 5.4l thinking some kind of LS killer is being created.

Please dont take me wrong here. Im not degrading your build idea. I too am a 5.4l 2v swapper and have kept track of many others over the years. Most discover disappointing hp results. With this said and the amount of teeth grinding i do when working around this behemoths, i remember that torque.

And yes, youll love the torque increase! 5th gear will have no power shortage when driving. Youll be able to light the tires off in any gear change. It gets kind of dangerous.

Also, if you really want to wake this engine up, send your cams back to comp or me for a regrind to a 108lsa. I have no dought your build could reach 380+rwhp given the special cam grind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
what type of spacer for the intake you did say mmr like the delete plates for dohc or are they different
Its the old pro products 4.6 to 5.4 adapter. The mmr plate just adapts the vic jr to a stock style throttle body.
Could give Blankenship tuning a call or email. Your build isnt much over any other 5.4l 2v build and the amount of swaps out there, their should be enough tunes to get you close.

Once you get a base tune, its still a good idea to get the dyno tune. Especially with the 30lb injectors.

ill fore warn you now, staying naturally aspirated, dont expect great hp just because you up'd on cubic inches. Given the same head senario on a 4.6l the hp output will be compairable. Intake valve size is the deciding factor here. Piston speeds will choke that port and valve out. The 5.4l stroke piston speeds are phenomenal and typically 1200rpm less than a 4.6l. If you know of any other similar 4.6l builds hp output, yours will be in the same ballpark. Laws of physics simply will not allow any more hp power naturally aspirated. I know this isnt what you want to hear, but many swap to a 5.4l thinking some kind of LS killer is being created.

Please dont take me wrong here. Im not degrading your build idea. I too am a 5.4l 2v swapper and have kept track of many others over the years. Most discover disappointing hp results. With this said and the amount of teeth grinding i do when working around this behemoths, i remember that torque.

And yes, youll love the torque increase! 5th gear will have no power shortage when driving. Youll be able to light the tires off in any gear change. It gets kind of dangerous.

Also, if you really want to wake this engine up, send your cams back to comp or me for a regrind to a 108lsa. I have no dought your build could reach 380+rwhp given the special cam grind.
Blankenship was my thought as well but I assumed they would want the car and do a dyno tune on it. (im only 3-4 hours away and this would be my ultimate goal). I'll hit them up with a phone call and see what they have to say.

As for the power aspect of the build, you mention the intake valve size. Hence the reason I upgraded to the ferrea +1mm valves.
I've also found quite a few comparable builds in the 350 range but that being said most of them don't have the compression I have.
Aside from that, I didn't build the 5.4 to be an LS killer, I built it because it was comparable cost to a 4.6 build and 50 more cubes while still being plug and play (for the most part).

If it makes 350 wheel I'll be happy as I'm coming from a stock NPI motor lol.
That being said if it doesnt make power, the rings are gapped according, its studded, forged for a reason. A tork tech kit or small centri will get it way over my power goals in the long run.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
where are you at in the hoosier land? I am down in evansville
Greencastle. Halfway from Indianapolis to Illinois on I70 lol.

also in regards to the tune situation. Blankenship sent me a startup tune that works fine so far.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Greencastle. Halfway from Indianapolis to Illinois on I70 lol.

also in regards to the tune situation. Blankenship sent me a startup tune that works fine so far.
I was just up at putnam county road park in aug to use my ticket to drive the 2020 gt500. I am looking forward to next aug doing it again this time in a 911 GT2RS.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I was just up at putnam county road park in aug to use my ticket to drive the 2020 gt500. I am looking forward to next aug doing it again this time in a 911 GT2RS.
right down the street from me then!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
right down the street from me then!
man I was SURE my GPS had screwed up till I finally saw the sign to turn in. Its out in the country a bit. Sweet track though. I hit 132 in the gt500 the first time ever on the track I am curious to see what the 911 can do now that I have been around it a couple of times. I shouldn't have looked but I did and they still have spots open, the lamborghini sounded sweet enough to make me want to take it for a spin.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score

Blankenship was able to take car of me. I've already put 550 miles on it :)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im hoping he at least hits 300rwhp. Be like 350wrtq regardless.

Dont be bummed out if your power goals aren't met. More cubes does not mean more hp when the same exact head from a 4.6l is used. Its the valve size that dictate hp potential. And yes, more than 300rwhp is possible with a 2v 5.4l. You gotta get them cams regound

Snorky

Reaction score
Im hoping he at least hits 300rwhp. Be like 350wrtq regardless.

Dont be bummed out if your power goals aren't met. More cubes does not mean more hp when the same exact head from a 4.6l is used. Its the valve size that dictate hp potential. And yes, more than 300rwhp is possible with a 2v 5.4l. You gotta get them cams regound
Plus that torque will be ridiculous and flat like a table. Cubes affect torque output. Like 96blak54 said, more to the equation to make HP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online