Tune Up Time

bmcgc

Reaction score
Our 94 GT just turned 50,000 miles. Everything under the hood is bone stock as is the exhaust.

With so few miles, Im wondering if I should bother with plug wires and a coil.

I replaced the air filter, hoses, and belt when I bought the car, but everything else is 21 years old.

What would you recommend for plugs, wires, and a coil? What should the timing be set to?

How do I clean the MAF without damaging it?

I would prefer to stick with Ford parts, I have never had good performance with parts store replacement tune up parts.

toyman

Reaction score
Do the wires as well. 20 years of heat and cold cycles takes it's toll. Do this test in the dark. Spray a fine mist of water with a few drops of vinegar added over the wires with the engine running. If you don't see any arcing then you might reconsidering the purchase

JKady

Reaction score
Autolite 25 plugs, Motorcraft cap/rotor, wires are wires honestly, the best is the DIY kits so they actually fit, even Motorcrafts are too damn long.

To clean the maf just hose it down with carb cleaner, I've never been a fan of mucking around stuffing q-tips in them to clean the wires.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
I got distracted the past couple weeks and put the tuneup on hold.

I was at Summit the other day and bought SP25 plugs, they didn't have the Motorcraft cap and rotor so I didn't buy those items.

Tonight I popped the cap off and was surprised to find that the Motorcraft had aluminum posts in it.

Now Im thinking about going with Autozone or Accel because they have brass posts.

Im pretty sure the cap and rotor are the orginials, they are used up and need to be replaced.

Im still unsure about the plug wires. Are factory replacements still available? I want to keep it oem appearing under the hood since that's the way it looks now.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
DONT CLEAN THE MAF WITH CARB CLEANER! Use MAF spray. Carb cleaner will leave a residue behind. You can also use a q-tip and alcohol just be very careful with the MAF. Also clesn the IAT sensor while your in there.
Stock autolite replacement plugs are the best for the 5.0.
FRPP makes a nice set of 9mm wires.
I would also opt for a MSD cap and rotor. It looks better and performs better.
Also stay away from performance air filters that use oil on the filter to trap dirt (K&N). For what ever reason the 5.0 likes to suck the oil off the filter and deposit it on the MAF.

Only 50,000 miles? WOW. I have 230k on mine and it still pulls strong. Which Summit were you visiting? I'm near the one in Ga.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
We live in Macon. I bought Autolite AP25s for the plugs. Autozone for the cap and rotor. Summit has a oem replacement set of plug wires, Im going to use those.

Im trying to keep this as stock as possible. When we bought the car it was original except for the oil and air filter, belt, tires and hoses.

JKady

Reaction score
Just a warning in advance, even Motorcraft wires won't be perfect, usually all of them in a set will be 2-3 inches too long. That's why I prefer and usually suggest the build it yourself kits. They're better than cheapo sets but it kinda irks me that the OEM can't make a set of wires the same as stock.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My 95 GT has 59,000 miles. I just did my 2nd tuneup after owning it for 3 years. Motorcraft Copper Plugs (gap to .054), Ford Racing 9MM wires, leave the stock ignition coil, oil change, fuel filter, pcv valve.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry just saw you wanted to keep it stock as possible. Motorcraft plug wires and motorcraft copper plugs, regular stock cap and rotor will do fine

Addermk2

Reaction score
We live in Macon. I bought Autolite AP25s for the plugs. Autozone for the cap and rotor. Summit has a oem replacement set of plug wires, Im going to use those.

Im trying to keep this as stock as possible. When we bought the car it was original except for the oil and air filter, belt, tires and hoses.

Bring the platinum plugs back and buy regular copper Autolite 25's.

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
I am way overdue on a tune up...I sprayed the throttle body and cleaned with cleaner, new air filter, oil change...only thing lacking now is new plugs/wires/cap. Was going to do them with new coil packs - Was kinda wondering if there is any real benefit to getting aftermarket coil packs?!?

JKady

Reaction score
You don't have a cap or rotor if you've got coil packs or coils, and no, OEM is your best bet for coil packs.

toyman

Reaction score
Is your car a 3.8L v6 or a '96+ model? Coil packs were not used on the '94-95 5.0L engines. Thinking you might be in the wrong forum. This is the '94-'95 5.0 specific forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online