Tuner question...

Bdenmark73

Reaction score
So been a long time researcher of the forums, first time posting in one. Currently drive a 1998 mustang gt convertible with a PI engine swap from a grand marquis, cat deleted dual exhaust, K&N cold air intake and 75mm throttle body and matching plenum, and would like to find a tuner for it. Only trouble I am running in to in all the research I have done into handheld tuners are they don't support motor swaps, but most people are swapping in 5.4l instead of a different year PI motor. Does anyone know if a handheld tuner will support a motor swap to a newer PI motor and some minor bolt ons? Would like to know before spending the money on one. Thank you all in advance

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Let me start by saying, welcome to the forum. Also, I think you may have misread some info. The 5.4 swap folks are definitely few and far between. The pi swap is by far more common. Let me also add, that right now you don’t “need” a tune, but if you want one to unlock a little bit of power then cool. What I would do is find your local dyno tuner and see what tuning system they use. There are many options. SCT seems to be the most common and widely supported. Just whatever you do, stay away from Bama for tunes.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The tunes are custom tailored to the build, so it will support whatever you did to the engine, ie; heads, cams, intake manifold, headers, increased compression, and so on.

OP
OP
B

Bdenmark73

Reaction score
I was looking at one of the sct tuners because I know alot of dyno shops do use it and so far I am loving it but want to get the best out of the mods does anyone have a favorite sct handheld tuner? Because I have honestly been looking at a couple different ones

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I was looking at one of the sct tuners because I know alot of dyno shops do use it and so far I am loving it but want to get the best out of the mods does anyone have a favorite sct handheld tuner? Because I have honestly been looking at a couple different ones
I’m sorry, I can’t help with that question. I only ever used a diablosport then moved to a stand alone ecu that I could tune myself.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will 2nd his recommendation that right now you don't need it and the $$$ could go to other areas.

OP
OP
B

Bdenmark73

Reaction score
Well not much more that I am going to do to this motor except possibly cams in the future but was thinking 3.73 gears and I know for that it will have to be calibrated

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when you get into the cams you will need it. As he said it might help a little now but your not going to feel much other than a lighter wallet. I Would do the gears first, get the tuner when you do the cams.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The tuner will not help with the gear swap. You can do some fuel tuning for the higher rpm you’ll be turning but it will not help your speedometer.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive discovered not all cams were the same from other platforms even though the engine base is coined "pi" or "npi". Mustangs and 5.4l trucks got the performer cams. So with this said, you have improvement options. Also note that the panther platforms had slightly better cams than the explorer, but were still oriented towards driving torque.

I can special grind any set of stock cams to help bring out a little more power if you are interested......to special tune needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online