tuning dudes, what does this mean?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I pulled up some data logs and looked at my learn table and was a little concerned at what I saw. What does this red line mean?2021-11-16 (2).png

Now I have only started to open it up and get into the boost area and I am pretty sure I did a transfer learning to base already but it seems like its pulling a lot out right at that point to me? What does it mean?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You’re saying this is really the first time you’ve gotten on it that hard, that means the fueling in that area was a guess. You really need to make some WOT pulls so the map can be tuned.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You’re saying this is really the first time you’ve gotten on it that hard, that means the fueling in that area was a guess. You really need to make some WOT pulls so the map can be tuned.
I really have only started to get into the boost area for the first time since it was all built.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I really have only started to get into the boost area for the first time since it was all built.
That’s what I though. So your fuel map has to be completely tuned. I noticed it pulling quite a bit of fuel in the mid range too. Is this a map your tuner made or a stock map from Holley or what?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That’s what I though. So your fuel map has to be completely tuned. I noticed it pulling quite a bit of fuel in the mid range too. Is this a map your tuner made or a stock map from Holley or what?
my remote tuner did it. Fastmanefi/rich seemed to know what he was doing. I have considered another remote session for him to go over it all and make sure it looks ok. He is great to help teach a little about it as well

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a good datalog and hit every point in the fuel map that you can. Have him go over that and the tune and make adjustments. Do you have a picture of your fuel graph that you can post?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
There are a lot of flat areas in that map. Now that you are driving it more, I would definitely have the tuner go back over it. If you look at the areas in that map where the red lines are on the learn table, there’s a big jump in the fuel. And all the little jagged areas should be smoothed out. You want smooth transitions between each cell.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I sent an email to my remote tuner. He advertised that he offered help/support after he did the tune and seemed like a nice enough guy to see what he says.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I sent an email to my remote tuner. He advertised that he offered help/support after he did the tune and seemed like a nice enough guy to see what he says.
Honestly, you can do this portion of the tuning yourself. It’s very easy. Pull up the tune and the datalog at the same time, as you scroll through the datalog the dot on the fuel map will follow. Compare current afr with desired afr and if they are not the same, make changes. Or, drive around and let the self tuning make changes, apply the changes and then go back and hand smooth the map.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Just remember that a 10% change in fueling is typically about 1 full afr point.

So if you’re at a 12:1 afr and desired target is 13:1, pull 10% out of the fuel map in that area and it should be really close to correct.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just remember that a 10% change in fueling is typically about 1 full afr point.

So if you’re at a 12:1 afr and desired target is 13:1, pull 10% out of the fuel map in that area and it should be really close to correct.
see now this shtuff is what I need to learn.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
see now this shtuff is what I need to learn.
Once you get the hang of it, the fuel map is the easiest thing in the world. Also, the curve of the fuel map is generally going to match the torque curve of the engine.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
And the learn function on the holley works really, really well. Let this thing do the tuning for you. Your job is to hit the cells in the map. Watch the laptop and ride the brakes while you hit the gas or put it in a higher gear and lug the engine. When I was doing mine, I put it in third gear and slowed way down then made pulls (staying in third) from about 1k rpm up to redline. Do it with varying throttle inputs. Make a pull at part throttle, make a change to the map, then make a pull at wide open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.