Tuning questions

Reaction score
alright guys I am getting me a 99 cobra in March or April and the car is completely stock except for the chrome saleens on it. Car has 140k miles on it and was wondering if I get a cold air intake and exhaust would I need a tune? I plan on redoing the car completely from the ground up but I won't be able to do the major stuff like get a different engine and forge the bottom of it for 2 or more years. I would like to make the car breathe better and sound better even tho I don't know what it sounds like. I also plan on putting a supercharger on it in the future also.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For exhaust and CAI, you don't need a tune.
It might be a good idea to run the car on the dyno to make sure everything is running good with 140k miles.

If you're planning on doing supercharger; I'd suggest rebuilding the engine and upgrade a few things while you're at it.
But you can boost stock.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On a side note, I can't wait to see this. Love me some 99 cobras. Woohoo!

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
You and me both, I have been wanting one for some time now just didn't have the funds to get one. I can't wait to see you get back into your build. I will be watching it carefully because I will probably be copying it.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Well I am going to be getting another engine and tearing it down and forging the bottom end, getting a t56 tranny, running a returnless style fuel, upgrading the pumps, and redoing the upgrading the rearend, on a side note, I know you guys told me already but what would be a good set of gears for it, mainly a street car not going to be taking it to the track or anything?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know you guys told me already but what would be a good set of gears for it, mainly a street car not going to be taking it to the track or anything?
Generally for these cars, 410s for auto and 373s for manual.
I love my 373s with my t5, really nice ratio for city speeds and I can still get decent mileage on the highway.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I am going to be getting another engine and tearing it down and forging the bottom end, getting a t56 tranny, running a returnless style fuel, upgrading the pumps, and redoing the upgrading the rearend, on a side note, I know you guys told me already but what would be a good set of gears for it, mainly a street car not going to be taking it to the track or anything?

It's already returnless. You're probably thinking of a return style fuel system. And for gears... go 4.10. That's what I have in my red car right now and wouldn't get anything less. 4.10 are going to go in the white car too.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ok thanks Deeplist so I can just upgrade the pumps and be good on the fuel besides the fuel rails and injectors.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok thanks Deeplist so I can just upgrade the pumps and be good on the fuel besides the fuel rails and injectors.

It depends really on what you're planning on doing. What power levels are you looking at? Budget? For my white car, I'm going to run a return style fuel system because it's going to have way more than 500+ hp to the rear wheels when it's all said and done. Upgrading the other components really depend on the application, but injectors are a given.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
I am pretty much going to be copying you and wanting the 500+ HP also looking for 600-700Rwhp. I will be doing this build as I get money so it will be a long build process.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, my ultimate goal is 650 and 700 to the wheels. My preliminary plans are on the first page of my build thread here:
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?60815-Deeplist-s-Project-quot-Ivory-Snake-quot

I'm going to resume work on it this spring, but right now I need to focus on getting the warehouse ready to go. With all the rain we received this weekend, I've noticed about a dozen different places at my building where the roof is leaking. That's going to be addressed first before I spend any more money (or time) on Ivory Snake.... it's just so damn cold!

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Yep I hear you on fixing things up my wife has a list a mile long of stuff to do on the house. Yep I am excited to get it and start modding it.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you wont need a tune with intake and exhaust.

here in colorado a dyno tune will net you about 5-10 rwhp on a 100% OEM car. that being said, if you get a tune you'll likely get more power. BUT to spend $300.00 on a tuner or $600.00 on a dyno tune for an extra 15 horses is a little crazy. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.