Tuning Recomendations

Cochise

Reaction score
I had a local guy ready to contact to tune my car who is very well regarded, but he uses HP tuners software and it apparently is great for our stock ECU. So.....

Any recommendations for custom tunes? I'd love a dyno tune but it's just not available in my area (Nashville) for our cars.

Bama or SCT?

Who out there is highly regarded for 2 V tunes.

This is what I have.
- K&N CAI
- Trickflow TB (unsure of size)
- MHS Stage 2 NA cams (I have dimensions, just not available right now)
- 3.73 gears

This is what I will be adding soon
- Shorty headers
- High flow H pipe

I think that's about everything. Guidance is much appreciated.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I don’t know if anyone who tunes 2v’s anymore. There are a few places that do email tunes that are ok. Bama has a bad rep, I’d steer clear. Steeda and 5 Star tune our cars though. I’ve used 5 Star for a crown vic and it was ok. I wouldn’t let them tune an auto though. I told them to keep the stock shift map but they didn’t and it shifted too firm, didn’t hold gears and unlocked the torque converter every time I’d give it any throttle or let off the gas at cruise so my mileage was terrible and it didn’t feel any faster. My buddy has a tune from them on his Town Car and loves it.

There used to be so many more tuners out there. I remember Eric Brooks used to be big and Trick Tuners was another one but not anymore.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Moe's Speed Shop, Marty does great 2 v tunes on crown vics and I am sure the same for mustangs. The Marty Tune. have first hand experience with it.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Efidynotuning.com decipha tuned my cobra and its fantastic. Just need an sct device and it's good to go 450 bucks for life time tuning of the vehicle

07GtS197

Reaction score
Moe's Speed Shop, Marty does great 2 v tunes on crown vics and I am sure the same for mustangs. The Marty Tune. have first hand experience with it.
The only reason I didn’t go with Marty is because I was being cheap at the time lol. Next time I will for sure. Does he tune mustangs? I don’t see why not I guess.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
Do you have to take the car to him or can he email you a tune based on your setup

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Lee Blankenship of Blankenship tuning here in Kentucky. All he tunes are fords with sct. He has built a serious library of tunes and can send you something. He is great with communication too and will tweek your tune

07GtS197

Reaction score
I was Moe's last fall, he had a shop full of Mustangs from all over east of the Mississippi, and he has a large shop. He will let a visitor walk around and drool over the cars he is working on.
I didn’t know that, I thought he worked exclusively on panthers. Good to know.

tvsn95

Reaction score
call Pops racing, Adam can and will tune your car,, safe tunes are important, E-mail tunes are shit. you will get what you pay for.
Adam will live tune Via the internet connection. you will need some hardware first but he will get you going and you will be happy.

d.garza18

Reaction score
I had a local guy ready to contact to tune my car who is very well regarded, but he uses HP tuners software and it apparently is great for our stock ECU. So.....

Any recommendations for custom tunes? I'd love a dyno tune but it's just not available in my area (Nashville) for our cars.

Bama or SCT?

Who out there is highly regarded for 2 V tunes.

This is what I have.
- K&N CAI
- Trickflow TB (unsure of size)
- MHS Stage 2 NA cams (I have dimensions, just not available right now)
- 3.73 gears

This is what I will be adding soon
- Shorty headers
- High flow H pipe

I think that's about everything. Guidance is much appreciated.
Do yourself a favor and skip the shorty headers. 0 gain with them and not worth all the work unless your doing long tubes

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and skip the shorty headers. 0 gain with them and not worth all the work unless your doing long tubes
Just canceled them. My tuner said they’re only gonna be worth 5-10 horsepower tops.

I’ll just stick with the high flow cats. I’m not competing, so I’m not gonna worry about the single digit hp loss from keeping the manifolds.

d.garza18

Reaction score
Just canceled them. My tuner said they’re only gonna be worth 5-10 horsepower tops.

I’ll just stick with the high flow cats. I’m not competing, so I’m not gonna worry about the single digit hp loss from keeping the manifolds.
Good call! Some long tubes would do wonders!

Reaction score
Hey Cochise, curious if you found a tuner and or are you happy with him? If so awesome if not PM me and we can work something out. Thanks, buddy

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
Hey Cochise, curious if you found a tuner and or are you happy with him? If so awesome if not PM me and we can work something out. Thanks, buddy

Hey man, thanks for the offer. I actually just dropped it off with a tuner this past week. I appreciate you looking out though.

Makoto

Reaction score
this is gonna seem overkill but the best thing you could do is get a modern ECU in there that can really monitor AFR's in real time.
if i were to do it again i would've built my cobra with a holley terminator X setup or something like that.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
this is gonna seem overkill but the best thing you could do is get a modern ECU in there that can really monitor AFR's in real time.
if i were to do it again i would've built my cobra with a holley terminator X setup or something like that.
This is the first time I've heard this. The current tuning set up is just a stop gap until I get everything saved up for my Coyote swap. To be honest I'm already regretting the cams because of the hoops I'm having to jump through.

Turns out the previous owner replaced the intake with a Dorman intake. Which isn't necessarily bad but they are so restrictive compared to the Ford Performance intakes that it would negate any gain from the cams. So this simple cam swap is turning out the be more counter productive to getting my coyote than planned.

Oh well, such is life.

Makoto

Reaction score
This is the first time I've heard this. The current tuning set up is just a stop gap until I get everything saved up for my Coyote swap. To be honest I'm already regretting the cams because of the hoops I'm having to jump through.

Turns out the previous owner replaced the intake with a Dorman intake. Which isn't necessarily bad but they are so restrictive compared to the Ford Performance intakes that it would negate any gain from the cams. So this simple cam swap is turning out the be more counter productive to getting my coyote than planned.

Oh well, such is life.

if you're going with a coyote swap then the stock ECU will have onboard widebands which is a huge step up. one of the things i ran into with my cobra was just dealing with the little trade offs i had to make with having such an old ECU. didn't find this out till after i paid like 850 for a custom tune. it ended up turning out great but i might've gone another route had i known how blind the stock ecu is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99