Turbo Chargers for 4.6 Motors

jpajkos

Reaction score
Question guys. Lately I have been pondering the idea of either going Supercharged or TurboCharged. Now I have the PI Motor. Im looking to make a good 400 at the wheels is my goal. My P.I. Motor has less then 55k on it. Would I have to forge this motor? Now I have heard people say with a supercharger you can run 10psi without forging your motor and they have achieved great numbers with it. Can the same be for a turbo? I would like to get the most power for the money. I would like to spend only around 5k for the setup. What do you recommend. I hear Kennebells's have issue's with there oil, and I have heard great things about an intercooled Procharger. I had a Novi 2000 on my old fox but alot of people tell me Novi's are better for the 5.0's then the 4.6s anyways. I will NOT go Vortech for no means what so ever :mad:. I don't know much about turbo's so does anyone have any good insight? Thanks

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any Forced Induction should be followed with plans to rebuild the shortblock. Running a KB or Turbo with be harder on your internals then the Centri blower. Usually with a positive displacement blower and turbo you will want low compression to counter act the boost being made at low RPM's. This is why so many guys grenade the stock piston/rods with KB's/Saleen/Roush blowers etc at just 350hp yet you see guys with Vortecs making 450rwhp and lasting longer. I could have just slapped my FRPP blower on but i new i would brake something and maybe damage a head or something with my luck so i chose to do the internals at the same time...i guess i'm just a person who worries :dunno:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Question guys. Lately I have been pondering the idea of either going Supercharged or TurboCharged. Now I have the PI Motor. Im looking to make a good 400 at the wheels is my goal. My P.I. Motor has less then 55k on it. Would I have to forge this motor? Now I have heard people say with a supercharger you can run 10psi without forging your motor and they have achieved great numbers with it. Can the same be for a turbo? I would like to get the most power for the money. I would like to spend only around 5k for the setup. What do you recommend. I hear Kennebells's have issue's with there oil, and I have heard great things about an intercooled Procharger. I had a Novi 2000 on my old fox but alot of people tell me Novi's are better for the 5.0's then the 4.6s anyways. I will NOT go Vortech for no means what so ever :mad:. I don't know much about turbo's so does anyone have any good insight? Thanks

What exactly do you hold aginst the Vortech ?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
jpajkos said:

I was wondering the same thing...I know a few guys with them and they are reliable and make decent power for not too much money.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Snakebit said:
jpajkos said:

I was wondering the same thing...I know a few guys with them and they are reliable and make decent power for not too much money.

Thats why I was asking, I think they are great blowers, not as good as a ATI Procharger in my opinion but I sure would not say I would never have one :). He may know of someone that has one, and they have had nothing but trouble from thiers :dunno:

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
i have a vortech and its a great blower making 10 lbs...im also wondering what it is about vortech that you dont like?

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
I have seen Vortech's in action. For the money I rather would have an ATI. I have several friends who "HAD" Vortechs and none of them liked them at all. I don't know why. I have read alot of reviews both on SVTPerformance and other sites and theres alot of people not happy with there vortech at all. For me I always thought Vortech had the upper edge when it came to GM applications. Just like SLP. Some companies have greater success and vortech has done wonders for GM. Alot of guys i have talked to said either go ATI or turbo it. I also just found out I dont know if its a rumor or not the Paxton and Vortech are under the same umbrella? IMO and what I've read and scene I just don't like Vortech.

97vertstang

Reaction score
vortechs are really good blowers for the money, and probably the most street friendly.of course the ati and paxton make better numbers but i have heard more problems , than vortech.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Any Forced Induction should be followed with plans to rebuild the shortblock. Running a KB or Turbo with be harder on your internals then the Centri blower.

Usually with a positive displacement blower and turbo you will want low compression to counter act the boost being made at low RPM's. This is why so many guys grenade the stock piston/rods with KB's/Saleen/Roush blowers etc at just 350hp yet you see guys with Vortecs making 450rwhp and lasting longer.
This is exactly right, good description DropTop.

If you're shooting for 400, your motor can take it. but you're pushing the limit.
harldy any detonation and it's broke.

What DropTop says about the posatives is also true, torque on lower rpm's is more strain on the rotating assembly.

I wouldn't put too much stock in older blower experiences, most blower companies have made improvements to they're units.
Support is a factor - and on that Vortec has great support.

Turbo! I like turbo's. It's my choice of blower.
I'm getting twin's when I can.

I prefer 2 builders, both have good support and experienceed people.

Single kit: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/
Twin Kit (that I'll B getting) http://www.turbohorsepower.com/

Ask away if you have more questions. :)

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
I see the same car's running in and out of the shop with vortech blowers. It always seems like something is wrong with them. Im really leaning toward a turbo set up. Should I bore the motor or stroke it. I mean if I went turbo I know I'll probably have to forge the motor. Could I run a 10 psi setup on my PI motor you think and it run good? Or would it blow up?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Im really leaning toward a turbo set up.
Good call man!

jpajkos said:
Should I bore the motor or stroke it. I mean if I went turbo I know I'll probably have to forge the motor.
You could go either way, if you're building the shortblock, you'll want to lower the compression.
Bore or stroke is up to you.
I went stroked to gain some numbers on the lower rpm's

jpajkos said:
Could I run a 10 psi setup on my PI motor you think and it run good? Or would it blow up?

[(boost / 14.7) +1] x base HP
The numbers in your sig say you've got 281 RWHP.

[(10/14.7)+1] x 281 = 472 HP
(it would run great, until it blew up :D )

you will loose boost according to altitude, so you'll want to consider that.
for example, at this elevation a 10# pulley will give you 7# of boost.

a turbo will also give you better numbers since there is no drag on the crank.

7# works out to 414 HP.
Does that help??

Another thing nice about the turbo is that it's easy to chang your boost psi.
just adjust the wastegate, or use a controller. on a blower you have to buy and swap the pulleys.

Dark-5.0

Reaction score
I say go turbo. But if you got ATI. A D1SC with good fuel system and simple bolt ons will get you your 400rwhp. I have 3 friends with that set up on a stock motor and they all are over 400rwhp running 11.50's - 12.00's.

Jeremy

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dark-5.0 said:
I say go turbo. But if you got ATI. A D1SC with good fuel system and simple bolt ons will get you your 400rwhp. I have 3 friends with that set up on a stock motor and they all are over 400rwhp running 11.50's - 12.00's.

Jeremy

Prochargers RULE :bunny3: :bunny3:

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
there's a site that's solely for turbo mustangs and reviews kits from all the companies.

www.turbomustangs.com

i was going to go twin, finally have the money to but lost the desire. rather move on to larger fish. i just don't want the car to end up in the garage more than it's on the road, so i'll eventually pick something up that's stupid fast, stock.

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
I've read all the reviews about the turbo's. I really like the turbo setup. I have just over 50k on my motor. Im just really torn. I see guys running both turbo's and S/C on stock P.I. motors with 10psi and there achieve excellent numbers. Would you say a turbo put less strain on the motor?

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
more strain on the motor maybe and supercharger and more strain on the crank they both have its advantages and disadvantages

HISSN

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Any Forced Induction should be followed with plans to rebuild the shortblock.
No offense, but I agree up to about here... KB and Turbos are not the same, not even close (i'd like to see a turbo V8 at full boost @ 2000 rpm :) ..... the closest thing to a turbo is a centrifugal, but not really because it's belt driven. That is the beauty of turbos their exhaust driven, NO parisitic loss like you get with all superchargers which equals less strain on the engine. I know i might sound biased because i have a turbo car, I say weigh your options. KB's are limited on our cars, centrifugals are plentifull and reasonably priced, turbo kits can be expensive. If i was to do it again, i would have bought a V6, stripped it down, put a 331 or 347 with a big single and had a enough money for whatever body kit ,wheels, custon paint and custum interior, and probably spent half of what i have already. I agree with the above check out www.turbomustangs.com , They have plenty of info. good luck on your decision :)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
HISSN said:
DropTopPony said:
Any Forced Induction should be followed with plans to rebuild the shortblock.
No offense, but I agree up to about here... KB and Turbos are not the same, not even close (i'd like to see a turbo V8 at full boost @ 2000 rpm :) ..... the closest thing to a turbo is a centrifugal, but not really because it's belt driven. That is the beauty of turbos their exhaust driven, NO parisitic loss like you get with all superchargers which equals less strain on the engine. I know i might sound biased because i have a turbo car, I say weigh your options. KB's are limited on our cars, centrifugals are plentifull and reasonably priced, turbo kits can be expensive. If i was to do it again, i would have bought a V6, stripped it down, put a 331 or 347 with a big single and had a enough money for whatever body kit ,wheels, custon paint and custum interior, and probably spent half of what i have already. I agree with the above check out www.turbomustangs.com , They have plenty of info. good luck on your decision :)

what numbers did you get on your TT cobra?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online