Turbo questions

joshuaw3

Reaction score
So I'm looking at a turbo setup and I was planning on getting the trickflow heads but they are 2 grand. Since I would be going forced induction is there any reason to get those still or should I just get the pi heads?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Dont worry with either. Just run the npi heads for now. Im one to organize the build in sections or not changing a lot while focusing on the main goal. Turbo first...run it, build forged engine after you destroy stock engine, then heads and so on.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Dont worry with either. Just run the npi heads for now. Im one to organize the build in sections or not changing a lot while focusing on the main goal. Turbo first...run it, build forged engine after you destroy stock engine, then heads and so on.
I want to build my motor first so I'm not fuc**d when it does blow up. That's why I was asking if I should just go pi heads or the tfs.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
If you go trickflow heads and a turbo, you'll be looking to buy a new bottom end and possibly heads again after you go WOT the first time. It'll snap the rods and shoot them out the side of the block. I'd put the turbo on, then baby it on 5-8psi while you source a Teksid block and build a bottom end, and then heads if you want.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
If you go trickflow heads and a turbo, you'll be looking to buy a new bottom end and possibly heads again after you go WOT the first time. It'll snap the rods and shoot them out the side of the block. I'd put the turbo on, then baby it on 5-8psi while you source a Teksid block and build a bottom end, and then heads if you want.

Ok I'm confused then because another time I asked about forced induction on here these guys swore to me that a cast steel block won't break if I'm pushing 600-700 hp even with a remanufactured stock crank and putting the 2013 boss rods in bc they are rated to 700 hp and then going forged Pistons and heads whether that is pi or tfs. So that's why I'm asking. I don't plan on just getting the heads and that's it I was planning to do what I just said. What if I went with a cobra crank (forged) forged rods and forged Pistons on the stock block? Would that work for my goals?

Wichers123

Reaction score
Pi heads (which can be found for 500 bucks) are good enough to get you to 800 easily. I'll tell you what your asking though is a lot of money like 20k in money. I have 10k in my motor and turbo kit, that I built myself and the bottom is a 03 cobra short block.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Pi heads (which can be found for 500 bucks) are good enough to get you to 800 easily. I'll tell you what your asking though is a lot of money like 20k in money. I have 10k in my motor and turbo kit, that I built myself and the bottom is a 03 cobra short block.

Yeah I know it isn't going to be cheap. I think what I'm going to do is get some pi heads and intake. Cams and turbo. Run a conservative tune with the turbo like 8 psi then save up for the block and internals then bump up the psi

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ok I'm confused then because another time I asked about forced induction on here these guys swore to me that a cast steel block won't break if I'm pushing 600-700 hp even with a remanufactured stock crank and putting the 2013 boss rods in bc they are rated to 700 hp and then going forged Pistons and heads whether that is pi or tfs. So that's why I'm asking. I don't plan on just getting the heads and that's it I was planning to do what I just said. What if I went with a cobra crank (forged) forged rods and forged Pistons on the stock block? Would that work for my goals?
I can see your confusion

The stock bottom end consist of
1. a cranckshaft made from either cast iron or forged steel, forged being the strogest, but the blocks are built so sturdy that either crank survives well.

2. Powder metal rods equivalent to the strength of paper clips. 400rwhp is possible on the stock rods but comparible to a 3lb hammer to a pinned granade. Its going to blow depending how hard you hit it. "Build the bottom end"

3. The stock piston again are fragile and can't take ANY boosted detonation. Although others have survived well around 400rwhp boosted.

With the added benefits of steel rods and forged pistons, dont bother with the stock stuff only if you have the funds.

But as I stated in my first post, build up slowly, keeping the car in a running scenario. This way when you do a mod, the out come is already diagnosed. Such as swapping from a v6 to v8. Get it all running good before adding the turbo, eliminating possible confusion of a glitch. Dont, build an engine, swap over from v6, turbo'd out, first start up only to discover the oil control ring in one of the cylinders is twisted, or it wont start, because so much swapping confused the install and your stuck tracking the problem down.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Depends on what your goals are. For making the most power, TF hands down. If you are only set on making 600, even 700hp than worked PI heads will be fine. Also depends on how aggressive you plan on going with turbo cams. TF heads run offset retainers, so you won't have to run notched pistons or modified intake valves, which make them attractive in that sense alone.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Ok so one guy is saying with pi heads I can get 800 easy but another guy is saying only 600? Which is it? If I just ported the heads wouldn't that be good? What all would I need to do for them? Then your talking about the cams isn't there a way to get cams made to not need dished pistons and what not or should I just put the turbo on with the stock parts first then build up a motor top to bottom? Just get a block and build it outside of the car then pull the old one and put that in or what?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your stock cams are excellent turbo canidates, just use them.

Build the engine from the bottom -up

Youll touch 450-500rwhp easily with stock heads, stock cams with a turbo....I think thats a good starting point! Especially for a guy thats asking..

Considering 500+rwhp will be useless on the street.

Buying the parts for 800hp is the same as a fat man buying exercise equipment to be 150#. One can buy all day long but to apply it is another. The responses you receive are an all around ratio of possible power, but the secret to that 800rwhp 2v will not be leaked out. The individual will need to do their homework, build the engine to an R.C.H

Cast block, forged crank, steel rods, forged pistons, tfs heads, turbo cams, ARP everything. .....their! This is your official list...lol...keep in mind the parts dont build themself in high hp, the individual creates the desired hp.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I think before anything you really gotta do your homework on these 2v's before trying to see high #'s like those. What exactly are your goals? You could easily have 20-30k in a build like this lol

torch318

Reaction score
What fuel are you planning running? That ultimately will determine how much boost you can run and how much power you will make and what parts combo would be best for you setup.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
What fuel are you planning running? That ultimately will determine how much boost you can run and how much power you will make and what parts combo would be best for you setup.

I plan on running 93 like I do now. The kit recommends getting a 355 lph fuel pump and 47# injectors but I was thinking of going with 60#

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
With enough boost you can can make whatever you want lol

So should I just 60lb injectors first or just go with the 47lb ones that kit recommends. You can upgrade to the 60s so that's why I'm curious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online