Turbo set up info 5.4l 2v

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ok

Lets say some time down the road I get froggy and want to boost my setup. Im getting closer to finally dynoing this build and will be looking towards building more cause of our addiction and turbo setup is something I have never explored. Since im wanting to redo the exhaust system, why not do a remote/rear setup. I want to keep the cost to a minimum and boost relatively low,....3lb- 5lb. A roots setup from a lightning isnt ruled out, but I want this thread to focus on turbo info.

Power output isnt as important to me.....low boost again. The build aspect and sheer fun factor of the build is what entices me. Keeping cost to a minimum, but still function reliable. Im not ruling out redneck engineering either.

Focus here is towards "what works". Such as readily available factory turbo's, exhaust shop type piping, and all around scavenging type sourced components.

The set up is a 5.4l npi 2v
Comp 274cams
Npi heads
New Forged pistons
Stainless rings
H-rods
And otherwise stock components

Oh,...and every component in this engine is used or hacked up.....including the 150k mile piston rings.

Compression will not be discussed as its beyond oblivion. E85 will be fuel of choice.

So lets have some fun here!

wmfateam

Reaction score
The remote mount system we had on a GTO worked wonderfully and I wouldn't say the lag was too terrible. Also keeps under hood temps in check while not having to interfere with AC or anything else up front.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
A member of ModdedMustangs swapped in a turbo'd 5.4 2v in his 96 gt. As I recall he said its not worth it but since you already have a 5.4 in there I think it'll be worth it.

On a side note, I remember a reading a post (I dont remember but not here) where someone pointed out that the pistons in a 5.4 dont sit flush with the deck so the compression ratio is low. Now whether thats bs or not I dont know but Id be interested in knowing. I wanted to do a 5.4 2v swap (until I settled on a 3v swap) myself but everyone says its not worth it. They run about the same as a comparable 4.6 on the track. I wonder if the compression was bumped along with some head porting and long tubes would bring out the true potential of the 5.4. Is the hardballr intake still produced?

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
No more Hardballer intakes....so sad.

You are correct about the piston deck height being roughly down .108". Although a flat top piston at that deck height still produces the same compression ratio as a 4.6l. Just as any dish....still the same or really close.

As for my compression? Im not going to disclose that. I will add a clue though (we can have fun here). For anyone curious, research the mathmatics for compression ratios and internal 5.4l npi modular dimensions,....then add 3more points....lol

Also the 5.4l really holds no more power potential over the 4.6l when forced induced or naturally aspirated for that fact. Pulling grunt power....different story.

I will add....the quickest modular runs a 4.6l 4valve, twin turbo set up. The quickest 5.4l 4v is single turbo!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My thoughts also!!

For my build, hp is least desired. Torque! Off idle to 3500rpm torque is the goal! Something like 600rwtq and I'd be happy

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is from "Grassrootsmotorsports mag."

You don't necessarily have more lag in a rear turbo set up. You don't have to run an intercooler and so you eliminate all the cubic footage of air in the intercooler.I sat down with Corky Bell once and he worked the math and proved to me that you actually had slightly LESS air to move in a rear turbo than a traditional front intercooler set up.
That website has all the crazy builds, my fav.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I know the 2v heads are a restriction but I figured with the longer stroke that in itself will pull more air in and make more power.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Twins or single blak, i only ask to include this..............just like in a diesel where the only forward step is a larger turbo, this ultamitly(dang it!) increases lag. The fix for this is to do a twin set up, keeping your primary slightly smaller to greatly reduce lag. Now moving on to another issue is oiling. This is actually fairly easy to fix. Mount your turbos behind your rear bumper cover or directly under your trunk, build a self contained unit in your trunk just for the turbo/turbos. A rear mount would be super easy for twins.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
See ^

It should be fun! I really dont care about hp. I just want to have fun!

I might do a rear seat install or replace mufflers with turbo in that location. Behind the rear bumper cover sounds neat...ill look into that!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of BS flying around, got to use the 80/20 rule when wading through it. A complaint I see is the size of the high pressure side going back up front because there was no alley way designed into manufacturing the car. An idea I have used before in building drying systems would be 3" copper pipe flattened down to an oval shape and since it can be annealed as needed at a turn a very conformable massive intercooler is formed and would have numbers better than any math I have seen so far.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
All the work for 3-5psi of boost and only wanting torque... Your going anout it the wrong way. A turbo will never make the torque/power of a roots blower from O-3500rpm and with the overabundance of Lightning stuff, way simpler, cheaper and more reliable.
When you start trying to build a turbo setup from junkyard/ super cheap parts, your going to be disappointed about the reliability and end up spending the money twice (i know.. Been there, done that).

Remote mounts are cool in there own right, but you dont see them very often bc the challenges they present (especially on a compact chassis like a SN95) are hard to pull off well.

Questions to be asked:

1. Where do you put the turbos? Bumper cover (gotta protect fuel tank) or muffler location (gotta protect turbos from road debris)
2. Oil return... Aka scavenge pump, if done wrong, you get a smoking freight train from oil burning in the CHRA
3. Single or twin turbos
3a. If twins, are you doing a single hot side to both turbos or dual hot side?
3a2- how/where do you route the cold side piping based on the hot side piping?
4. Wastegate placement and vacuum line routing
5. How do you plan to get the cold side piping from under the car through the already cramped engine compartment to the throttle body?
5a. Tubular K member or not? If not, How dafuq #5? Lol
5b. If Tubular K member, why even bother with the complexity of remote mounts?
6. Intercooled or not?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
All the work for 3-5psi of boost and only wanting torque... Your going anout it the wrong way. A turbo will never make the torque/power of a roots blower from O-3500rpm and with the overabundance of Lightning stuff, way simpler, cheaper and more reliable.
When you start trying to build a turbo setup from junkyard/ super cheap parts, your going to be disappointed about the reliability and end up spending the money twice (i know.. Been there, done that).

Remote mounts are cool in there own right, but you dont see them very often bc the challenges they present (especially on a compact chassis like a SN95) are hard to pull off well.

Questions to be asked:

1. Where do you put the turbos? Bumper cover (gotta protect fuel tank) or muffler location (gotta protect turbos from road debris)
2. Oil return... Aka scavenge pump, if done wrong, you get a smoking freight train from oil burning in the CHRA
3. Single or twin turbos
3a. If twins, are you doing a single hot side to both turbos or dual hot side?
3a2- how/where do you route the cold side piping based on the hot side piping?
4. Wastegate placement and vacuum line routing
5. How do you plan to get the cold side piping from under the car through the already cramped engine compartment to the throttle body?
5a. Tubular K member or not? If not, How dafuq #5? Lol
5b. If Tubular K member, why even bother with the complexity of remote mounts?
6. Intercooled or not?

Cold side is easy, route it back through the cab, through the firewall. I understand the roots comment myself but i think hes going for different factor. That long of a coldside return probably wouldnt need an intercooler depending on how you route it back..........piping those twins into a roots!!!? That would be awesome! [MENTION=20979]OLD H2S[/MENTION]
I dont know about the bs part but ive seen this done on an ls. A camaro/firebird is slightly longer granted but he had no need for an intercooler, piped it into a custom split intake. It had dual cold sides, piped through the inner fenders, and hugged the pinch welds all the way back to the turbos which were tucked behind the bumper cover. No factory gas tank though was running a 10 gal fuel cell mounted in the back hatch so no interference with the factory tank. The only down side to rear mount in my opinion is the loss of boost but, blak isnt looking for high boost numbers.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you bring the right side exhaust pipe over to the left side down pipe and make a single exhaust from there back to the turbo then You will have an alleyway back to the front where the right side dual exhaust normally was and if you turn the right side header pipe to the front and bring the down pipe around the front of the engine and join the left side pipe to the back then you have lots of room for the pressure pipe right back to the top of the motor.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
If you bring the right side exhaust pipe over to the left side down pipe and make a single exhaust from there back to the turbo then You will have an alleyway back to the front where the right side dual exhaust normally was and if you turn the right side header pipe to the front and bring the down pipe around the front of the engine and join the left side pipe to the back then you have lots of room for the pressure pipe right back to the top of the motor.

as soon as you start flipping headers, you may as well just do a front mount setup and save yourself all the plumbing nightmares.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So many options! The beauty of turbo!

Building the setup to me is most intriguing. I realize routing the cold side does pose a challenge, thanks to thomas_w pointing that one out! Old H2s makes a good point merging the exhaust to one pipe opening room up for a cold pipe. This leads into a single turbo set up and I cant think of one factory single turbo made that would be cost affective and logical. Maybe im visioning it wrong? Can twin turbo be ran from one pipe? Looks like a piping nightmare!