turn signal woes

PinkieT

Reaction score
Following my wife in her 98 GT last weekend, driver rear turn signal was flashing really fast. I figured that was a bad front bulb. By the time she got home, however, no turn signals either side worked. The emergency flashers work, I swapped the flasher relay from my car and it works in mine but not hers, and the #5 15A fuse is good. I just bought a new turn signal switch, but before I tear into the steering column to swap it out, anybody have any other suggestions?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is the hazzard switch on top of the steering column? If it is just turn it on/off 8-10 times because dust collects around the switch and when you push it, it pushes the dust inside of the switch and can cause problems. The hazard switch is the last switch in the turn signal/parking light circuit and for the flasher to work properly it needs to have connections on all the wires or it can either speed up or slow down. Try this and if that doesn't work we can dig deeper but start simple.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping you were right and I would owe you a beer, but no luck. Used air blower can like I use on computer keyboards and then WD-40 on the hazard button and turn signal switch, did the button and stalk lots of times, no luck. What next?

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
No bulbs flashing using turn signals, all flash on four way flasher.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
strange it would loose both left and right unless its something with the input to the switch. before we get that deep first check fuses. I know you said you checked the one but its often helpful to inspect them all. I know it sounds like a pain but trust me if you just pull/inspect them all it takes less time then trying to figure out which one you suspect is listed in the manual and its funny how often I find a fuse blown that is listed with nothing to do with the problem at hand. Don't forget the box under the hood.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Ok, first task today is checking all the fuses. I got a new multi-function switch for $40 plus tax using a coupon at the parts store, so have that at the ready if the fuse check and cursing fails.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Fuses good, bulbs good, relay good, multifunction switch was bad. Not too hard a job to replace. My wife is :D now - turn signals work, and the stalk now has bright graphics instead of the faded originals.

BTW I'm proud of that woman - she called me when I was out of town and I talked her through finding and replacing the turn signal relay and finding and checking the fuses. She went to the parts store, got the right relay, and installed it herself. Not her fault it wasn't the problem!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is better then my ex. She didn't want to replace her brakes so she didn't and ignored the noise. Needless to say there was a time that came when she could not do that anymore so then she took it to the dealership. They fixed it for her by trading her 2 yr old kia still under warranty with 4 yrs of payments for a 8 yr old impala with 5 yrs of payments and no warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online