Twin Turbo Cobra Just blew a head gasket.

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Out driving my cobra tonight. Ripping it and having fun only running 6 lbs of boost. small fuel error and ended up blowing a head gasket. Never changed a head gasket on a 5.0. any tips or advice

V8RUMBL

Reaction score
Out driving my cobra tonight. Ripping it and having fun only running 6 lbs of boost. small fuel error and ended up blowing a head gasket. Never changed a head gasket on a 5.0. any tips or advice
How have you got a tt car and have no knowledge on changing a head gasket? At any rate, dont reuse the head bolts, buy arp, and as you take bolts and nuts off, label everything and take plenty of pictures to remind yourself where shiit went. If youve never done this extensive amount of work to a car, id phone a friend who has and pay them in beers and a couple lunches/dinners.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/5892/

This is literally the entire process with pictures.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hoooly piss twin turbos . Send the heads out to get check before putting it back together . It's not a very hard job on these cars by any means and if you have pedestal mount heads ur laughing . Take ur time like said above take pics and buy some arp head studs while your in there and some mls head gaskets I'm pushing 15lbs of boost

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
How have you got a tt car and have no knowledge on changing a head gasket? At any rate, dont reuse the head bolts, buy arp, and as you take bolts and nuts off, label everything and take plenty of pictures to remind yourself where shiit went. If youve never done this extensive amount of work to a car, id phone a friend who has and pay them in beers and a couple lunches/dinners.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/5892/

This is literally the entire process with pictures.

Well putting turbos on my car had nothing to do with ripping my motor apart haha. It was actually really easy. thanks for the link

RichV

Reaction score
Change them both while in there. I'm sure the rats nest of TT piping will get in the way, but it's pretty easy overall. As stated, use ARP studs and a MLS head gasket if you can. Then again a HG is a better fuse than engine damage.

What are the details on the car? How long has it been TT? And what kind of power does it put down?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Head studs for sure. . No bolts. . I would use the felpro graphite head gasket. . Mls need a real smooth finish. . It's easy process..

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Change them both while in there. I'm sure the rats nest of TT piping will get in the way, but it's pretty easy overall. As stated, use ARP studs and a MLS head gasket if you can. Then again a HG is a better fuse than engine damage.

What are the details on the car? How long has it been TT? And what kind of power does it put down?

They're rear mounted so no rats nest in there lol. That's part of the reason I went rear mount is that the engine bay stays easy to work on. And it's been tt for about 6 months. Haven't had it on a Dyno but the car doesn't beat by very much. It's still a work in progress. I just kind of build it in my free time, which isn't much because I run a small business as well as attend college full time.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Head studs for sure. . No bolts. . I would use the felpro graphite head gasket. . Mls need a real smooth finish. . It's easy process..

Thanks I'll be sure to get some Apr head studs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online