Twin Turbo Exhaust Setup

WolfMxbee

Reaction score
I Have Installed Turbo Systems On a Couple Of Friends 240's, Camaro's, Etc. Except I Had Never Come Across This Idea of Still Remaining An Exhaust System With a Twin Turbo V8, I Know It Is Possible But With The Location I Need Some Assistance, The Area I Want It In Is Firm But Debating On The Piping and Exiting of The Exhaust Is Frustrating, Below Is An Example:
mmfp_0811_11_z+ford_mustang+turbocharged_motor.jpg

This Is The Setup I Am Leaning Towards, I Already Have a List of The Turbo System Parts I Wish To Soon Purchase But I Can Never Find a Direct Answer With This Question, Can You Run a Exhaust On a Twin Turbo System As Many Would Answer That It Is Unnecessary... I Do Wish To Run Quad Butterfly Controlled Exhaust and Perhaps Even a Cutoff But That Isn't a Necessary Must Have For Me But Just a Thought, I Do Tend To Use It For Drifting And Soon Will Post a Build Thread On It... I Have a Bunch of Blue Vinyl Wrap Samples Coming In The Next Few Days To Look At What Color Route I'm Going.. However The Interior/Engine Bay Will Be Semi-Gutted But Street/Stock Looking and Painted a Custom Color ;) I Have So Many Ideas For This Project And Was Considering Going The 240SX Route But Come On... I Grew Up Around Fords And Have a Strong Passion Towards Mustangs/F-150s So Why Not Bring a Mustang SN95 Into The Sport, Who Says American Metal Can't Drift Or Be Near The Same Ball Park As a JDM... Anyways Got Carried Away... Lol But Exhaust Is My Main Question As Well As Filter Wise And If I Go Dry Sump.. How Will I Tap Into a Dry Sump To Get Oil To The Turbos? I Will Draw a Diagram To Test Exhaust Routing Through The Engine Bay and I Am Going To Buy a Radiator Expansion/Overflow Tank From Another Make/Model Car That Is Suitable and Will Relocate The Battery, Also Any Battery Relocation Ideas Would Be Helpful But Not In The Spare Tire Area As I Have a Intercooler Tank Being Put In There, If I Have Anymore Questions Then I'll Post Here and Sorry If This Is Too Long Or If I Didn't Make My Point Or Question Clear, Just Wantes To Type Before I Forget My Concept, Thanks For Any Help!! Also forgive my "Capital First Letter" typing, I was using my phone and has a setting that puts it in that form so swapped it over to my laptop.. sorry again

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Owww my head from the capitals! Lol

yea you can run exhaust on a twin turbo setup. You'll want to use the largest piping you can get to eliminate any resistance on the downpipe. As for the dry sump oil suppy, you'll have to talk to someone who can provide you info on the particular dry sump your looking at.

OP
OP
W

WolfMxbee

Reaction score
lol I understand the feeling

is it possible that I could create a piping that'll have two exits from the header, one leading to the turbo to spool it and another that goes straight from the header to the Exhaust cause I know most factory Turbos are installed that way but if not then the down pipe, does it have to be as big as the Exhaust (size wise) to create an even flow? Cause I would like to have quads, but if I do go quads then does this also mean that I'll have to run a dual single (one single piping coming from each header or turbo) till I get past the rear end then split it into quads and on a dry sump, what's your opinion on one, it was recommended to me by a few drifters but I know that there are a lot of people who drift mainly 240s, 350s, etc and they don't have a dry sump if I'm mistaken

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I have never seem a factory vehicle or any turbo vehicle with an exhaust that bypass' the turbo. The only part that does that is the wastegate plumbing but that is mainly closed. As for the quads, theres not alot of room for additional piping under a mistsng, so your going to be stuck with breaking it off after the axle.

Dry sump would be nice if you need it. If the car is strictly for drifting and your damn good, then sure, but when i priced one for a drag car it was upwards of $5k.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No factory exhaust on a turbo car bypasses the turbo. This would defeat the purpose of having the turbo. Keep it simple, header goes to the turbo then exits by the downpipe.

Once it's pass the downpipe you can do what you want but as Thomas stated there's no room under our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

WolfMxbee

Reaction score
Alright sweet I know what work to look forward to, now another question about the Exhaust, I have heard so many debates about a cutoff installed with a turbo, when open.. it adds hp In the high rpm range?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure how much it matters on a turbo car but I know I wondered if it would add power when I installed mine since it straightens out the side exhaust restriction. Talking with the guy that welded it on he has a GTO with cut outs and tried it open/closed on a dyno and found no difference.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Cutoffs almost always leak. The EGT from a turbo will destroy that cutoff in no time. Turbo cars are pretty quiet anyways, full exhaust just makes them quieter, even without mufflers. Imo your making this thing way more complicated than it needs to be. If you want every ounce of HP, then just setup your exhaust so it can be disconnected at the downpipe and dump it closer to the turbo. V band clamps make things like that super easy now.

OP
OP
W

WolfMxbee

Reaction score
Alright and yea I know, sorry about that, this is just my first piece by piece Turbo kit, I mostly installed complete kits or semi complete so I'm not familiar with how an exhaust system works with Turbo systems because I was thinking that there would be restriction and that's why people don't mostly run an exhaust but I'm not looking for every ounce of horsepower, the only power adders I'm doing is fuel injectors probably like 47ibs, 320 twin fuel pump, new fuel tank that will have a return, a new intake, aluminum heads, cam, gears, and a new locking rear diff and other simple bolt on's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99