Two Questions

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
I am repainting my 96 Cobra project and have some questions.

First is what is the easiest way to remove the tar like sound deadening material?

Second is I have found this weird material that seems like a caulking like substance around seams. What is it? It is not durable like normal caulking more like a shitty rubbery stuff. It crumbles in you hands to be honest. Can I replace it with regular caulking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
He's talking about the sound deadening stuff that's on the floor panels and center drive shaft hump - it wasn't clear in his post but I assume he's ripped out the interior and will be painting the inside of the car (and perhaps outside).

OP, there are some different ways people have removed it. All are a pain in the ass from what I understand. I think the most common way is to use a heat gun to soften it up, and get to scrapping.

As to the "caulking" - it's seam sealer. My assumption is for sound deadening and some water-proofing if some welds didn't get full coverage. It's a Good Thing - so unless you plan on reapplying your own seam sealer, I would leave it. Same for the tar-like stuff - is it possible to leave it? You could just paint over it I think.

Justang

Reaction score
Sound deadening removal is fun. Use dry ice and 91% IPA. Mash, mix, and pour! The pieces will crack and flake away with very little resistance. Might need a mallet and chisel just to help things along. If you feel like waiting, I'm about to do this with my 240. Otherwise there are plenty of videos to be found on this.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe he got a 100 lbs or something? Did you at least make a soda bottle bomb out of a little bit for fun? Sucks you do not live close to me as I have to have some food shipped in and it always comes with a brick of dry ice.

Also curious what went wrong since it looked so easy in the vid

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
I have no clue, I followed the directions. It just did not release from the metal. Maybe it is a different material? I tried it on numerous days thinking weather played a factor; nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online