Two styles of radios on the same Mustang

jasonchavez214

Reaction score
I currently own an 94 GT with a base radio(the one with the cassette and flat buttons, no cd player deck). My question is: Are there any differences with the radios that have the Cassette FWD|RWD buttons that protrude VS the ones that are flat? Ford created two styles and I want to buy a reconditioned one on Ebay, but the buttons are different from mine. If you don't understand what I'm saying, check out these two ebay listings... look at the radio buttons.

My Style: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Ford-Mustang-GT/333762170771?hash=item4db5c68f93:g:3~MAAOSwbRRfkPcX

Ebay reconditioned one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Ford-Mustang-GT/324194697586?hash=item4b7b828172:g:3IoAAOSwq3he4FBA

I've had a 96 & 97 with flat buttons

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 9.52.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 9.52.07 AM.png
    989.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 9.50.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 9.50.01 AM.png
    712.8 KB · Views: 22

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes the flat buttons were full logic and meant for the mach460 upgrade. Some have the slave cd out and some do not but if you notice on the red convertible with the buttons sticking out does not have the mach tweeters.

OP
OP
J

jasonchavez214

Reaction score
yes the flat buttons were full logic and meant for the mach460 upgrade. Some have the slave cd out and some do not but if you notice on the red convertible with the buttons sticking out does not have the mach tweeters.

Thanks for your reply ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought all the ford stuff back then was green but I am not sure. If your still using the mach amps and speakers then that deck will not work. The wire harnesses on the back are for a standard output, not mach. It could be used if you didn't want to use the mach amps or speakers. I can relate to people wanting to keep them stock but the amps are known to become battery killers when they stop turning off and the speakers are probably fairly worn out by now as well

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Like I say I tried mine at 7 grand and had a guy wanting it bad
Then I chickened out of the deal

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
people are starting to think they are worth that. I am laughing at a facebook post now where someone is trying to get $400 for an explorer intake.
Do you have that link for the intake
I just want to check it out

OP
OP
J

jasonchavez214

Reaction score
I thought all the ford stuff back then was green but I am not sure. If your still using the mach amps and speakers then that deck will not work. The wire harnesses on the back are for a standard output, not mach. It could be used if you didn't want to use the mach amps or speakers. I can relate to people wanting to keep them stock but the amps are known to become battery killers when they stop turning off and the speakers are probably fairly worn out by now as well

Thats the issue. My radio has the flat buttons, but is the non-premium version. I have no tweeters behind the side mirrors, and no top speakers in the back... It's a convertible. The CD player has the factory sun glasses shelf in its place

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
The older models light up aqua, like the dash clock. Having the optional CD player in vehicle back in 1994 was pretty high end. People typically just used CD changers installed in the trunk. ...this was also good if you wanted to keep that factory look, but towards the late 90s, early aughts, having an in dash CD player (especially one that could play MP3s) were all the rage.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thats the issue. My radio has the flat buttons, but is the non-premium version. I have no tweeters behind the side mirrors, and no top speakers in the back... It's a convertible. The CD player has the factory sun glasses shelf in its place
There were actually 3 stereo options. Pull your radio out of your dash and get a pic of the back of it and that will help me/you figure out which one would work.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the minidisc player for mine back then but had never even seen a mini disc at the time. Figured why? Wouldn't have anything to play on it so I passed. Still have never seen a Mustang with a minidisc player in it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I remember seeing it in the paperwork as available as well and I was just happy we were getting the mach system. I thought the same that I have never actually seen one of those players and did a search on ebay to find nothing.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I installed the factory CD player in my 87, when I replaced the OEM radio with a setup from a T-Bird. PAC converters fed aftermarket amps and speakers, so it looked stock. My '95 came with the OEM CD player who h is now in a box somewhere. I should sell it since I canibalized the factory radio faceplate for my aftermarket project. (I wanted a newer factory "green" faceplate to match the' 95 aqua stuff.)

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I never even heard of minidiscs till 2000 when I was trying my darnedest to purchase a CD player that would read CDRWs with MP3. There were only two on the market at the time, 1) extremely expensive Kenwood. I think $1200! And 2) a $350 aiwa, which was in back order forever. One day I was at a Best Buy and an employee asked me if he could help me find something. I told him the exact product model number and he looked it up for me. There apparently was one on the opposite side of the metroplex.

I was 17, and had never really driven on the highway before, and surprised that my father offered to drive me all that way to get it installed that same day. So I called them up, and told them to put it on hold. They kept wanting to put some aiwa mini disc player on hold instead. But I kept telling them MP3. MP3!!! Aiwa CDC-MP3! I know it was 2000, but it ticked me off that no one knew what MP3s were. It wouldn’t be till 2005 when the mainstream would finally catchup. Though ask people now, and they still probably don’t know what they are.

So we drive all the way out there to buy it with money I earned from my first job. I had been saving all of it, so this was my first real purchase. First major mod to my mustang. Big deal for me. I go to get it from hold to pay, and they can’t find it. All they could find was the freaking MINIDISC player! If any of you remember what a Y2K Best Buy looked like, it still had a major CD section, a cassette aisle, and a few DVDs and VHSes, which took up half the store. WTF is a minidisc? Where do I find minidiscs?!? Thankfully they were able to locate the player, and have them install it while we start wondering about my 8yo brother, who would soon be coming home from school to an empty house. Thank goodness my mother could be reached.

Anyway, IMO, minidiscs essentially are laserdiscs. Something I didn’t even know about till the early aughts, though remember seeing a vinyl record sized CD our computer teacher in 1996 8th grade inserted into a device, only it played videos, not just audio. Strange. Like minidiscs, I never saw laserdiscs sold anywhere. Other than that one time in 8th grade and in a film class in college, I only saw laser discs thrown out in the garbage in back to the future II. ...couldn’t tell WTF they were on VHS, and didn’t know when I saw it in theaters. Had to wait till Blu-ray, because even on DVD, the screens were standard def and small.

Then the mid to late aughts came. Does anyone know what a UMD was? Sony released a neat kick ass portable gaming device called the PSP. All the games were on UMDs. This little round floppy disc, only inside was what appeared to be a minidisc. Sony later released all their movies on that format including a few other companies. It became a neat travel video device. Even my own mom bought one for herself to watch movies on the plane with. Sony really loved that failed media format.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I worked at best buy in the early 90s when minidisk came out and I got an indash sony unit because I also got the home recorder all on discount. I would not call it a laser disk, just a small cd as there is no video on it just music. You could slide the disk cover over and see the little cd in it. It really was a better format but sony killed it the exact same way they did betamax by saying only their media could be put on it so you were limited to what they produced and at the peak of best buy the minidisk section was never larger than 12 ft long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online