Ugly and fast or pretty and slow?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the one question that's on everyone's mind is............Is it fast, how fast is it, or how much power does it make?

Everyone? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe that's how most mustang owners feel but I wouldn't go as far as saying everyone. More than 75% of people on the road are not car enthusiasts and don't care or know anything about power. I don't think they are going to worry about how much power an orange car going to get groceries is making.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Everyone? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe that's how most mustang owners feel but I wouldn't go as far as saying everyone. More than 75% of people on the road are not car enthusiasts and don't care or know anything about power. I don't think they are going to worry about how much power an orange car going to get groceries is making.

Correct, the average Hyundai sonata or Honda accord owner on the road would give two craps about an orange mustangs hp levels. Car enthusiasts on the other hand ask me all the time. Yesterday i was asked by a new R/T owner and an E92 M3 owner. So in a way i agree with you both.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its true the average driver doesn't give a crap, and yet I remember I was surprised at a light a while back when the Taurus next to me squeeled his tires and took off when the light was green. Surprised the hell outta me but once I got on it I was able to catch him but I had not even glanced over one time at the light after the first initial "Dude in a taurus = no fun" look/thought.

No matter what you do there will always be a hater but I find with a mix of show/go they don't give you too much crap at the show/track. I think its like when you go to france they say to learn some basic French crap and then the French will only treat you like a asshole like they do everyone else and not like the do foreign assholes that do not try.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Pretty and slow is where it's at (at least with a mustang). Power alone doesn't really make a car fun to drive for me, it's the look and sound that make a car fun to drive.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Again please excuse my writing, I'm not the best when it comes to getting my thoughts down in print. Everyone was clearly the wrong word but people who may view the car at an event where there is "like enthusiast meaning car people" would fill-in better. The question may be posed to the owner, or a friend whether something is fast, how well it handles, etc. or not depending on how it looks.

Example: Let's use your car as an example: If I saw it at an event with the hood closed, being a car enthusiasts I may ask one of two questions either to you, if you're present or to a friend. Is it fast and how well does it handle? Surely, as you view some cars at an event, you must have an opinion or questions regarding what you're viewing.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Power alone doesn't really make a car fun to drive for me, it's the look and sound that make a car fun to drive.

I guess it all depends on what you use it for. If i repainted my stock 97 and put on a full exhaust and tried driving it like the 98 it just wouldnt be the same. Now i know the 98 only has 340 hp, for me thats enough to cruise around and enjoy until its ready to become more. However, this is where the op has to ask him self what he wants to use the car for? Weekend shows or track events?these days, I or anyone else in this hp area need more then just 340 hp to be competitive with modern performance... Coyotes put down 450RW EASY with small bolt ons. Ive seen video after video of bolt ons 5.0s spanking light bolt ons terminators. If Op is trying to be competitive performance mods is my vote, if just crusing around go with the paint. Or performance and wrap it :)

Royal96

Reaction score
My vote is performance over looks. If all we cared about was the looks, wouldn't we just be ricers with better taste?
Now, if you're going to end up doing both, then who really cares what you do first?
In my case, I'm doing performance first because last thing I want to do is scratch the hell out of the paint dropping the engine in.

chris91

Reaction score
Paint the pumpkin first. Speed can always come at a later date and won't cost you as much as a GOOD paintjob. And like I've said before, just don't take it to plated. If you're at the cruise in next Sunday you will see why.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
My vote is for ugly and fast. 99% of people on the road would have no clue of the exterior modifications that us enthusiasts do to 99-04's. Swapping to a s281 spoiler, cobra front bumper, saleen or cobra wheels...to most people would look like any other mustang on the road

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
must be different depending on where you're from i think. to me...a busted ass car thats super loud and fast is redneck shit lol. if it's a purpose built car for racing then hell yea...but these cars look like shit 7/10 times when you see them on the road why not try and keep them looking good if you're not planning to track the thing??

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
End goal is 370 rwhp n/a
590 rwhp FI

And paint!!! Can't wait to get this damn thing painted. That might come before the blower.
This is what you stated back in 2013. If you're feelings are the same then you answered your own question.....PAINT.

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
This is what you stated back in 2013. If you're feelings are the same then you answered your own question.....PAINT.
Wow I was an idiot back then lol. Coming from Fox bodies, I don't think I realized at the time how hard it was to get NA power from a 2V.

Plastidip isn't an option since most of my clear coat is peeling anyways and it'd have to be media blasted to get it off. A wrap might pose the same issue but it's something I hadn't thought of. I just picked up a DD so I may sand down the bondo and see what I'm looking at and start saving up for a paint job. My biggest issue is it already kinda looks fast being lowered with 18s and a 3" cowl hood. BUT being orange with white wheels it already gets attention, then people look closer and realize it's ugly. I think what I'll do is start saving for a paint job and if I run across a hell of a deal on a D1SC that I just can't pass up I may snag it. Thanks guys

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
I have totally accepted the fact that my car will never be extremely fast...but, it sounds good and will look good, hopefully soon. I have a sense of pride with the way a car looks, especially knowing what it looked like before. Its low, loud and has a V8.....that pretty much sums it up for me. I don't track my car or will I ever. Who knows what kind of performance stuff ill add along the way, but the exterior and interior condition are important to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online