Ultimate Budget 2v Motor

tecwizrd

Reaction score
Not on the side caps.. atleast for romeo blocks. They are only tourqed to 14ft lbs. They also don't require any additional degree of turn. From research on others who have rebuilt these engines they have gotten by reusing these bolts.

The head bolts, rod bolts and main bolts are mandatory for new replacement which mine will be.

Sent using my Typewriter
OK, I went back through my reading material. You are indeed correct sir. Carry on. [emoji4]

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
OK, I went back through my reading material. You are indeed correct sir. Carry on. [emoji4]

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thanks though its very important to be thorough when building an engine lol.

Oh yeah, I reused the side bolts too. Also, with those boss rods I followed arp torque spec for the rod bolts.

Good that was actually going to be a question that was going to come up here soon.

max_Man4945

Reaction score
i am loving this budget engine build man keep it up i have a pi head swaped npi motor in my car with a spun rod bearing i want to do a budget high compression build (if possible) with it because i have a low mile pi motor going in the car so i have plenty of time to mess around with the spare old engine

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
i am loving this budget engine build man keep it up i have a pi head swaped npi motor in my car with a spun rod bearing i want to do a budget high compression build (if possible) with it because i have a low mile pi motor going in the car so i have plenty of time to mess around with the spare old engine

You really want to do it on a budget, order boss rods, cobra/mach 1/lincoln mark 8 pistons, stock crank with new bearings, pi heads and cams. Then youre making it happen.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
You really want to do it on a budget, order boss rods, cobra/mach 1/lincoln mark 8 pistons, stock crank with new bearings, pi heads and cams. Then youre making it happen.

How tough are those pistons? I was assuming they are no better than a 2v piston and have the same shatter / ringland failures.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
what cc are the mark pistons arnt they like -3?

They are 3cc pistons.

How tough are those pistons? I was assuming they are no better than a 2v piston and have the same shatter / ringland failures.

Yes, they are the same strength as stock 2v pistons but they are definitely in budget.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive re-used stock head bolts 1x thoughout multiple builds. I too though to be clever and use autopart store headbolts, but while installing, the head bolt didnt feel like the stock. So I pulled them out and resorted back to the original headbolts. They felt much better!

Main bolts and rod bolts were also re-used, but this wasnt a forced induced engine.

Ill also state I have never heard of main bolt failure. One would assume a spun rod bearing could be a result of a rod bolt failure.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Im wondering whats included in the ford racing head changing kits? I would think they are oem quality head bolts.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good thinking!

Id steer away form aftermarket headbolts.

The change over kit is a ford factory replace. I will say this too. Ive read where forced induction boys had great luck with felpro headgaskets permatex pt2's as well. Ill give felpro a thumbs up there, but forget the bolts. The gaskets are tad thicker than stock and may contribute to a forced induction setup with their design.

max_Man4945

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking also but i do wonder how much they can take because i really dont ever hear bad things about them besides the ring-lands and thats because of the ring gap

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If your build is to stay n/a, any factory piston will work great. Plenty strong for 350rwhp

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Look at what has arrived.

cf15dd67a52b1e410cd4ac502f399297.jpg

afc2e6bbe070c7c1cb4dd0430ac98a7f.jpg

4f3d652646a6ab324cb1bbbf710bf177.jpg

Sent using my Typewriter

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Gahhhh dude I'm so pumped for you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan4point6

Reaction score
I'm trying to sell my used vortech v2 s trim supercharger and the mounting bracket the bearings are bad and it needs rebuilt. I've decided to go turbo what is the most I can sell it for.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Did you end up going with the Mahle #494200-8?

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Did you end up going with the Mahle #494200-8?

The part# you referenced is giving me a Manley piston. The part# for my Mahle pistons are MAHMOD220551I16 / They are 16cc pistons which will up my compression slightly.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Ah...right. I think the Manleys I was talking about were the ones you were contemplating on pg.3. Gotcha!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online