OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Out standing
looks great I like that
Is it heavy to remove

Thanks. No idea. I was told by my husband that it was staying on for the rest of 2020. (Which is fine because I have no idea how it mounts in the front). I think it may weigh less than Ford’s, but don’t know for sure. I’m gonna ask Santa for a ceiling lift so that I can do it myself without help. Santa’s a pretty amazing guy. I still remember the Xmas of 2001, when my family was in FL. We flew back Xmas day, and there by our tree was my speedster covers and other goodies. I mean, my folks were with me all week in FL. He came anyway!

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I would probably just leave it on
Soft top is nice but hard top less of a mess to deal with and no leaks
But ya that kicks ass

The problem is, despite how shitty 2020 has been for everyone else, weather-wise, it’s been an amazing year. Hardly any triple digit days. Car was gone August, September, October, and half of November. It’s been practically perfect convertible weather ALL SEASON. I know winter is coming, but I don’t think it’s going to be that bad for us. I mean, I remember there being 70 degree days in December, so I think that may happen again.

As for leaks, with new seals, the soft top wouldn’t even leak in a car wash, but the hardtop, well... ...let’s just say Smoothline isn’t known for its fitment quality. In fact, that’s why it took so long. I don’t even know if I can even open the trunk. Too afraid to try. They had to work super hard just to basically reshape the front, as there was a 2-5 inch gap from what they claimed. And the windows... well...

C3F568D7-81A6-4984-9219-3E6B336AC90D.jpeg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Ya i see the top line on the trunk lid
It may not open all the way
But like I say that dose look good
Maybe I'm just to used to hard tops

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Ya i see the top line on the trunk lid
It may not open all the way
But like I say that dose look good
Maybe I'm just to used to hard tops

Thanks... ...people with coupes wondering how they can modify their car to have rear quarter windows that roll down - This is how.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Was this purchased "new" or did you find one on the second-hand market? I thought they had ceased operations.

No. New. They’re still around. Somehow. I don’t know if they got bought up or what, but apparently in the last 5 years or so the company went way down hill. Like they don’t take credit cards, but they’ll take checks. You see, you can’t get your money back if it’s a check. My husband bought this in November 2019 They are made to order, so they can’t exactly ship instantly. But they are also bad about communication.

This spring my husband was trying to take them to small claims, since they basically took his money and no communication about the progress or if they ever even planned on making it. But with the shut down, PA courts were closed. Had he seen all the BBB complaints, he wouldn’t have considered doing this. Not only was fitment so bad that the shop wondered if they even sent the right product, but it arrived damaged. The plexiglass window was badly scratched. They couldn’t contact Smoothline because, again, there is no communication with them, so they eventually gave up and did whatever they could do. I’ve heard of people getting stuck with cracked hardtops, and no replacement or communication, so I guess I was lucky.

Last edited:

Werecow

Reaction score
It really looks bitchin!!! Nice job and I do think it could use just a touch more red... That's one sharp shell!!!

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I asked if it was them on top and didn't reply because I had heard rumors of the same problems before. I hoped your had gone better. Looks pretty good now I have to say.

Yeah, it was one of those cases where mailing a large amount of money in the form of a check would warrant investigation of recent reviews. I honestly didn’t even know Smoothline made this version, as originally they only had that strange looking 05 style top for the 94-04s. I kept wondering why they didn’t attempt a cobra style first. I mean, once the 05s came out the SN 95s were pretty much old and devalued, and aftermarket companies were selling kits to make them look like the newer s197s, but they still looked odd, even completely converted. It’s funny/scary knowing about all the after market kits that once existed for these, that now are nonexistent. Since the top was sorta a surprise, my husband kept joking about how he got me a shogun kit. Anyone remember what those looked like?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online