Under size pulleys

Reaction score
You felt the need to post in this thread just to correct the way the op says under drive pullies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And you felt the need to post in this thread just to say that?

Hey, if you guys want to be misunderstood everywhere you go because you don’t know what anything is actually called, that’s on you.

Reaction score
And you guys sure put a lot of effort into making the wrong answers fit the question. I wonder how smart you guys would be if you put that effort into finding the correct answers... guess we’ll never know.

07GtS197

Reaction score
And you guys sure put a lot of effort into making the wrong answers fit the question. I wonder how smart you guys would be if you put that effort into finding the correct answers... guess we’ll never know.

Whoa buddy slow down. You come onto a forum to criticize others and think it’ll make you popular around here? Sorry to burst your bubble bud but all youre doing is making enemies. Why not leave the op alone, we all knew what he meant and so did you however you had to criticize him then you say that no one would understand what he meant. Either stop posting like a dick or get out of here.

And yes I didnt add apostrophies in numerous places just for you, are you going to critique me too?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s keep it civil guys. Pie we’ve addressed this attitude with you before. We appreciate your knowledge but your approach is unacceptable.

Sit back and relax and realize a lot of people are still learning. No need to come in with an attitude.

This is last warning.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Sorry if me saying under size pulleys instead of under drive has caused a problem between us all. I am new to the world of mustangs and am still learning so the odd mistake in miss naming an item is going to happen and I do appreciate it when I have made a mistake but there's no reason for people to get all worked up to the point of arguing. Let's all have fun and drive our mustangs the way they were meant to be driven

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Sorry if me saying under size pulleys instead of under drive has caused a problem between us all. I am new to the world of mustangs and am still learning so the odd mistake in miss naming an item is going to happen and I do appreciate it when I have made a mistake but there's no reason for people to get all worked up to the point of arguing. Let's all have fun and drive our mustangs the way they were meant to be driven

Well said.

To contribute to the original post, I'd skip the underdrive/undersize/underspeed/overslow/underwhatever pullies and think of updating more obscure items;

1. Aluminum driveshaft - Less rotating mass spins up quicker
2. Solid or urethane engine mounts
3. Some basic weight reduction can go a long way
4. Light weight wheels [same essential philosophy as #1]
5. Sub frame connectors

It may be a good idea to stash a few pounds where possible and save toward a turbo kit. Then you'd be having too much fun :D

TrickVert

Reaction score
Yep, you'll be miles (or kilometers) ahead by reducing weight and having the motor in tune versus the minor power improvement you may see from a pulley set.

Suspension and brake upgrades before significantly increasing power are never a bad idea, either. For what it's worth, I reworked my suspension and installed Cobra brakes with stainless-braided lines before adding the Vortech SQ blower to my '95. Those "prep" mods not only got the car ready, but added significantly to general driving enjoyment while I collected parts for the forced induction.

And before anyone says something: Yes, I realize that there are many, many cars on stock brakes and suspension with gobs of power under the hood, but improving chassis rigidity, suspension, and stopping power to match is the better and safer path.

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
And before anyone says something: Yes, I realize that there are many, many cars on stock brakes and suspension with gobs of power under the hood, but improving chassis rigidity, suspension, and stopping power to match is the better and safer path.

You won't get any backlash, we prefer to modify everything around here

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I agree with you TrickVert.
Corba calipers, 13" drilled and slotted disc up front, drilled and slotted disc on rear all ready fitted.
I'm running a set of Tokico shocks and struts all round with a 1.5" drop (wish I went lower now)
And a set of 17x10 2003 cobra wheels so it's definitely time to loose some weight
Talking about wheels what size tyres would you lot say I should have on this wheels?
At the moment the fronts are 275/40/17 which seem to work but the rears are I think I little to wide at 315/35/17

302hobronco

Reaction score
As far as the intake debacle, couldn't you find a good used pi intake off a crown vic 2000 or newer?? I did the underdrive pulleys on my 94 (different engine I know) but I ended up having charging issues and put the stock alt pulley back on. That cured 99% of the issue. Lol. I'm not sure what power increase it did since I did 1.7rr at same time. Point im trying to make is watch out for alternator issues if you do pullies.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Yes I've read a lot of people had alternator issues after doing the underdrive pullies

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I've had udp's on three of my cars, all steeda and skipped the alt pulley each time. otherwise, I was pleased with them. not saying in lieu of other mods, just answering the original question about them.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Adam, kudos on the brake upgrades. I noticed a great improvement when I did mine. Don't have regrets about not going lower on the suspension. Even 1.5" drop puts the suspension's roll center below the pavement. Somewhere I used to have a link to a great explanation on lowering Mustangs, and why lower is not better past a certain point. The steam-roller 315's look bada$$ on the back of these cars, but they're recommended minimum wheel width is 10.5". I think 295 is the recommended max for 10". That said, if you're not maxing out on cornering, the 315's won't blow up or anything. :)