Under size pulleys

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I installed steeda Underdrive pulleys on my 98 GT after the original harmonic balancer came apart and cracked the front cover... I didn't have any issues with them but didn't notice any benefit either.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even with a car making 200hp most can't tell a difference of 10hp, at the end of the day, gains are gains.

Unless a gain is actually a loss. Gaining 10hp may not be worth it to some if it means losing cooling and charging efficiency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
There is a sticky on another forum that talks about them being hard on 4V motors because the oil pump gears are brittle and can fail.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ this is very true! Also explains why early 4.6l fords harmonic dampeners started at 5lbs weight and grew to over 12lbs later in the years.

Im late to the thread and i dont know why, but ill include my two sents.

Underdrives or underpulleys....whatever you want call them are really not an upgrade due to ford getting the speeds and feeds of the pumps right. However, the pulleys are heavy! And we know heavy rotation mass loads the engine. The engine requires power to spin them and the heavier they are the more power required. Lighter weight pulleys leave the power needed strictly to drive the accessory, but this is getting down to the science of freeing up horsepower.

1-2hp could mean a few tenths in very competitive drag racing. It could mean the edge needed to pull away out of a turn quicker on the circuit tracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online