Underbody Paint

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by Deceptive GT, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT Active Member

I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with the underbody of the car. I am not necessarily looking to go the color of the car but I do want something to that will look good at shows and protect the underside at the same time. I would pay to have the underside painted but painting two cars, one of which is getting a color change, would not be cheap and I am already spending a lot of money.

2. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Quality goes right along with price. Want it to look good and last? It's gonna cost. The amount of work to have the underside completely sprayed is going to be astounding. If I were you I'd go to the parts store and get 10 cans of rubberized undercoating, get your car on jack stands, spend a day cleaning the living snots out of the underside, spend another half a day or full day prepping it, then shoot the whole underside. Remember when spraying that stuff - the smaller the bubbles, the better the outcome.

3. Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT Active Member

I do not have a paint gun. I need something in spray can form. Unless I talk to my paint guy and he wants to go in another direction. I would love to get like a semigloss black color that would be durable.

4. ttocs

ttocs Legend

I had mine sprayed back when I had the sub frame connectors installed just because they already had it on the lift, all they needed to do was take out the x-pipe and drive shaft(which was upgraded to aluminum when put back on) and had them scuff/spray the whole thing with lizard skin. As far as coverings go I am not sure there is much better as it is light weight and acts as a slight thermal barrier as well as sound/rust protection. In reality short of removing the exhaust/axle there isn't much prep short of a good scuff/wash and some minor masking and I think the lizard skin itself is $150 if I remember correctly.

5. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

Had mine undercoated while I was doing a 5 speed conversion. Driveshaft out, trans, midpipe etc.. I used rustoleums rubberized undercoating. Nice flat black color, looks clean and simple.

6. kb1982

kb1982 Active Member

I helped my cousin put POR 15 on the underside of a 72 Chevy pickup. Turned out good, and its also pretty durable.

7. LaserRed95GT

LaserRed95GT Member

Just take EVERYTHING off your car and have it repainted. Peace of mind :thumbsup:

8. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I didn't say anything about a paint gun

9. Gregor185

Gregor185 Well-Known Member

This topic interests me. I've been considering the same thing.