Undercoating? Specifically for the off-road guys

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought a 92 Toyota pickup that I'm currently working on. I'll probably make a build thread for it at some point because I'll be spending a lot of time on it in the upcoming months. One thing I'm doing is a lift/wheels/tires and some work on the rear end and and I'll have the bed off, so now would be a good time to undercoat the frame/rear end...etc.

I'm wondering if anyone had any input for good products to use on the frame of the truck? Theres not a lot of rust, and if it is rust, its just surface rust that I'll probably wire wheel off before painting it. Im open to any suggestions. I've heard a lot of good things about POR15. Any experience with that?

Not necessarily looking for something for rust, just a good product to coat the frame with for protection and also because the underside will be more exposed with the lift.

Any input is appreciated!!!

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Por15 would be nice if you get it down to bare metal. Stuff is expensive though

My bro-in-law uses rustoleum bed liner on his jeep for everything - bumpers, frame, wheels, body - it holds up pretty well and looks nice

Caboose302

Reaction score
My buddy had an old CJ5 that he had rhino-lined almost the ENTIRE thing. I wouldn't recommend it if you're on a budget lol. I can't remember what my dad and I used on the frame of our 67 Chevy. I'll have to ask.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=10867]sleepn_sn95[/MENTION] I thought you left the rust because the por15 bonded to it? I know there's a lot of prep work involved with it regardless
[MENTION=18390]Caboose302[/MENTION] not a bad idea. It would get pricey I'm sure lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caboose302

Reaction score
[MENTION=10867]sleepn_sn95[/MENTION] I thought you left the rust because the por15 bonded to it? I know there's a lot of prep work involved with it regardless
[MENTION=18390]Caboose302[/MENTION] not a bad idea. It would get pricey I'm sure lol

If you're doing just the underside it probably won't be too bad. He had the entire body, skid plates, frame, axles and oil/trans pan done but it was a rock crawler and really had to scrape a rock hard to hurt it. Ended up denting a panel easier than scraping the lining off, lol.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
sleepn_sn95 I thought you left the rust because the por15 bonded to it? I know there's a lot of prep work involved with it regardless
Caboose302 not a bad idea. It would get pricey I'm sure lol

I think it can be painted directly on rust but if you want to undercoat the entire frame I think its best to bring it down to bare metal

From their site

CAN I APPLY POR-15 OVER OTHER PAINTS?
Yes, but you will lose the important benefits of POR-15. You must remember that ordinary paints are weakened by exposure to moisture. POR-15 can't stop rust if it isn't in direct contact with the base metal.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-FAQS_ep_61.html

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
@sleepn-sn95 hmmm I wonder if I should do that or not. My plan was to wire wheel the surface rust off. It would be a ton of work to wire wheel the whole thing down to bare metal

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Awesome man! I love these trucks. I looked for this model Toyota for a longggg time before I finally picked this one up

dc39ce7f99bb8eed878f9105560193bb.jpg

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
nice. Wish mine was an extended cab.
Mine has Dalmatian spots currently. Gonna get painted as soon as the weather warms up.

kvoriley

Reaction score
If you are planning on using Por15, it adheres best to rust, so other than knocking of the loose rust on the frame, you don't want to bring it to bare metal, it doesn't adhere very well that way. If your frame is really rusty, I would go with Por15, it is some awesome stuff, extremely durable. It was perfect for my uncles F-250 because the frame was really rusty, when we finished it, it looked like new.

If your frame is in decent shape, just spay or roll on some undercoating, it's cheaper and will do fine. I also heard you do not want to use an undercoating that is water-based.

Also, Por-15 will fade if it has long exposure to the sun, so if you were planning on putting it on any body panels, you have to buy their top coat, which i believe is UV resistant.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=19363]kvoriley[/MENTION] The frame isn't too rusty, just spots of surface rust here and there. I'm thinking Por15 is a little overboard for what I'm needing it for. I think I'm going to look into a spray-able undercoating of some sort. Not looking for a rubberized undercoating, but more or less a durable black paint type undercoating.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Awesome man! I love these trucks. I looked for this model Toyota for a longggg time before I finally picked this one up

dc39ce7f99bb8eed878f9105560193bb.jpg

Nice truck! I love Toyota trucks. I have had a lot of them over the years. My latest is the white 88 extracab. You should check out yotatech.com

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=12219]DKblue98GT[/MENTION] nice trucks man! Love all of those. And yeah I stay on yotatech. I've been on there constantly. Getting ready to put 4Runner 4.88s in my truck and that site answered all my questions. Most of those guys swear by Por15 so I wanted to get some different opinions on here

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought a 92 Toyota pickup that I'm currently working on. I'll probably make a build thread for it at some point because I'll be spending a lot of time on it in the upcoming months. One thing I'm doing is a lift/wheels/tires and some work on the rear end and and I'll have the bed off, so now would be a good time to undercoat the frame/rear end...etc.

I'm wondering if anyone had any input for good products to use on the frame of the truck? Theres not a lot of rust, and if it is rust, its just surface rust that I'll probably wire wheel off before painting it. Im open to any suggestions. I've heard a lot of good things about POR15. Any experience with that?

Not necessarily looking for something for rust, just a good product to coat the frame with for protection and also because the underside will be more exposed with the lift.

Any input is appreciated!!!
POR15. Clean the hell out of everything you're gonna spray and shoot this on there. It'll look phenomenal.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice truck! I love Toyota trucks. I have had a lot of them over the years. My latest is the white 88 extracab. You should check out yotatech.com

SWEET TRUCKS. I used to be on yota tech as well. Havent been on there for a couple years though (I'm always on here). I Just picked up a 96 Runner for my daughter as a first car.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] Alright I'm gonna look into Por15 a little more. And there is a ton of useful information on yotatech, but I love this sn95forums a lot more. Yotatech just has so many users, it's just kinda busy for me

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
whiplash473 Alright I'm gonna look into Por15 a little more. And there is a ton of useful information on yotatech, but I love this sn95forums a lot more. Yotatech just has so many users, it's just kinda busy for me

We're here to help. Even if if means helping out an import truck. :nono:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online