Underdrive Pullies

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
i have had them on EVERY stang I have ever had. 1 V-6 car / 3 5.0 cars / 5 4.6GT's / and 2 4 valve 4.6 Cobras and I have NEVER had a problem with them other than the alt pulley not charging enough for a big stereo. They are a good way to " free " up about 10hp for a low price. They average about 100 bucks....some a little more just depends on where you get them from. I would suggest them for a nice bolt-on.

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
i have had them on EVERY stang I have ever had. 1 V-6 car / 3 5.0 cars / 5 4.6GT's / and 2 4 valve 4.6 Cobras and I have NEVER had a problem with them other than the alt pulley not charging enough for a big stereo. They are a good way to " free " up about 10hp for a low price. They average about 100 bucks....some a little more just depends on where you get them from. I would suggest them for a nice bolt-on.

O0 I second that. I just put a set on this past weekend. So far, engine runs like it did, except with a little extra oomph. Cheap, quick, easy way to get some extra ponies.

95-stang

Reaction score
I put some on mine, only downside [i'm sure everyone knows] as the alternator is going pretty slow at tickover,
if your out at night and sitting still, its best to put it in neutral, if you sit in drive, the voltage drops and the lights can dim quite a bit.
No problems in the day though.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I got a stereo and its fine but at a stop light my voltage does drop down low, and I know its as a result of adding underdrive pulleys, I run a optimia battery and a 170amp alt. A capacitor should help me though.

S

scarface

yeah get a cap, and you wont drain so much on the battery from the amp and subs

Nacho

Reaction score
Some company sells an OVER drive pulley for the alt. I compensates for the other 2 small pullies and doesn't give you charging problems. I've never used it but I was told it worked. Try leaving the stocker on as well, that was also said to work.

G_94_T

Reaction score
underdrives alone dropped my e.t.'s .15 in the 1/4......but yeah the voltage drops considerably at idle

blackfang

Reaction score
I will not run a UDP for a 4V. The potential for the damage they cause isn't worth the 10 hp for me. They have been known to cause oil pum gear failure being the balancers aren't that great and have chewed up some gears and caused engine failures. Al Papito wont run them unless he has an ATI Dampner along with others. However atleast 9 motors have gone to the sh!tter because of them and Bob Cosby's motor was damaged but luckily he had billett oil pump gears which saved him.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
blackfang said:
I will not run a UDP for a 4V. The potential for the damage they cause isn't worth the 10 hp for me. They have been known to cause oil pum gear failure being the balancers aren't that great and have chewed up some gears and caused engine failures. Al Papito wont run them unless he has an ATI Dampner along with others. However atleast 9 motors have gone to the sh!tter because of them and Bob Cosby's motor was damaged but luckily he had billett oil pump gears which saved him.

I have heard about that too, but from everything I have read that is caused by IMPROPER INSTALLATION, and NOTHING ELSE.

Reaction score
MARCH PULLIES!!!!!

Their craftsman ship is beautiful, I got the polished and I got a little wood when I opened the box for the first time! Install was easy and I felt a SOTP feel from them.

blackfang

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the crankshaft that came out of Bob Cosby's Cobra.
This engine had 12-15 dyno runs, 200 street miles and 32 1/4 miles passes.
The engine was torn down under an official NMRA protest in Kansas city after Bob reset the National record five times in one weekend and winning the event.
This engine had a small dia underdrive damper. The damage to the flats that drive the pump are obvious. Also obvious are the witness marks on the opposite side of the flats. (As EDO pointed out in one of the many oil pump threads) The crankshaft drives the pump, The pump does not drive the crank.
So.. There should be marks on the crank in only one direction ( Where all the damage is in the picture) Why are there marks on the opposite side?
The answer is the front of the crank is sizzling with harmonic vibration, Just like a giant tuning fork.
This vibration is passed on the the pump,Chains,sprockets,cams,valvetrain.
after the pump the next thing that fails are the cam sprocket bolts. Myself, Carlos Nazerino, and Joe Lynch come to mind. I warned Joe after i blew a very expensive engine. Joe's ran a year or so and was killed when a sprocket bolt failed.
This pic shows the beating the crank took. The only thing that saved this engine was the billet oil pump gears. Bob's engine was the last to leave my shop with a u/d damper, that was 2004.
P1010126_Medium_.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online