Unicorn build

SADDLE

Reaction score
I just picked up a rare one... 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Bright tangerine orange, black top and white interior. The car has 45k miles on it and it's been built nicely so far. It's been in a couple magazines previously, but I've already started ordering parts for it to make it my own. I bought the car sight unseen and I couldn't have been happier once the car rolled off the trailer, she's a creampuff.

OP
OP
SADDLE

SADDLE

Reaction score
So far I've purchased a Cervinis '00 R hood, a real set of export side mirrors (folding) and a kaenen s281 rear spoiler. Im still on the hunt for a OEM Cobra front bumper assembly and fogs then I'll take everything to get painted and installed.

Long term goals would be a t56, built rear end and more boost from either a turbo or procharger setup. The engine is fully built and can handle some serious power. The car currently makes ~550whp.

OP
OP
SADDLE

SADDLE

Reaction score
I ordered my vanity plate today from the DMV... "CRMSICL"

OP
OP
SADDLE

SADDLE

Reaction score
I got the TF Chicanes mounted up and they fit, damn near perfect actually. The 335 hoosier DR's are huge and they clear everything in the rear. I want to put a more street friendly tire on the rears. A 315 of some sort. This will only help the rear clearance.

Now as far as the look is concerned I just dont know. The car definitely needs more low and thats an easy fix. It has eibach springs on it now. It could easily drop another 1/2" - 3/4" and close up the wheel gap...

22374f0e75248f4d14394e658a391afe.jpg

52dce82b466c9a215cb682293326b949.jpg

d2c1908aaa4da093745a1cd964ac0224.jpg

d271b295039d52e8348015a28a02114a.jpg

OP
OP
SADDLE

SADDLE

Reaction score
I think im going to get the chicanes re-powdercoated. Im having a hard time deciding what to go with tho. Could black them out and do a gloss black lip, but I think the stepped lips look better in that type of style. I could go lighter with the center but I dont know if it should be more of a dark grey or light grey. Then again I already have light grey wheels (SSR's). I've considered doing something with orange on the wheel but that is a fine line between rice and sickness... Decisions decisions decisions...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
very nice. I got my black bullet wheels in az with 335s on it and they were fine until you got into a corner at medium speed and they rubbed. They were not hoosiers though so you might be better off.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Man that car is awesome. It looks like it's been well taken care of over the years, keep us posted with the progress of the build!

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Welcome and what a cool car. I love the white interior and the plate.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
What a great find! This car has some cool things going for it. The exterior and interior colors are awesome and un common, nice to see them well kept. It has been 99-01 Cobra Swapped including the gauges + its been maintained to show standards. Were you told the hp or were you given dyno sheets? Unless the boost is running a bit high I would have guessed the car puts out around a respectable 475whp (about 550hp to the crank) on low boost.

OP
OP
SADDLE

SADDLE

Reaction score
What a great find! This car has some cool things going for it. The exterior and interior colors are awesome and un common, nice to see them well kept. It has been 99-01 Cobra Swapped including the gauges + its been maintained to show standards. Were you told the hp or were you given dyno sheets? Unless the boost is running a bit high I would have guessed the car puts out around a respectable 450-475whp (about 550hp to the crank) on normal # boost.

Dyno sheets for ~550whp

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Dyno sheets for ~550whp

Sweet! Looks like when he did the swap he forged the motor for more boost! Id guess its running like what, 12-13 lbs? I was assuming lower at first didnt know it was forged- Sick numbers and car man! Congrats and welcome to the site!

OP
OP
SADDLE

SADDLE

Reaction score
Sweet! Looks like when he did the swap he forged the motor for more boost! Id guess its running like what, 12-13 lbs? I was assuming lower at first didnt know it was forged- Sick numbers and car man! Congrats and welcome to the site!

Yes, the motor was 01 cobra crate motor.
Tekskid block .30 over
diamond racing pistons - 11.5cc
plasma moly rings
Modmax 4340 h beam rods
ARP head, main and rod bolts
Federal mogul tri metal race bearings
Cometic head gaskets
MMR billet oil pump
modmax sfi balancer

engine was built to 9/1 compression

Vortech sq blower
AFM power pipe
Pro m 80mm maf
55# injectors
Aeromotive FPR
Walbro 255 in tank pump
Walbro 255 in line pump
Kenne Bell BAP and BAS

I want to turn up the wick on this car and see what kind of power it can make. Potentially might run on e85. I think with a return style fuel system and larger injectors and a good tune there is more power to be had.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Very cool car, and excellent condition too. Best of luck with it. It's ashamed that motor wasn't built with a higher CR especially if you are planning on E85. Regardless, you should be able to make a little more power out of the SQ if you have enough fuel and spark. Just curious, why would you consider swapping the Vortech to a Procharger? I've had a bunch of different Vortechs over the year and had very good luck with them and am in the process of doing a turbo build, and turbo builds are a LOT of work man, just a heads up

OP
OP
SADDLE

SADDLE

Reaction score
Very cool car, and excellent condition too. Best of luck with it. It's ashamed that motor wasn't built with a higher CR especially if you are planning on E85. Regardless, you should be able to make a little more power out of the SQ if you have enough fuel and spark. Just curious, why would you consider swapping the Vortech to a Procharger? I've had a bunch of different Vortechs over the year and had very good luck with them and am in the process of doing a turbo build, and turbo builds are a LOT of work man, just a heads up

Procharger would be sweet and they are local to me as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online