Update of my 4V swap, well sort of

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
68mustang5.0 said:
How powerful are those lincoln DOHC motors compared to a 96-98 cobra motor?

They are rated @ 280 h.p Well the 1st gen 93-96 was rated @ 280. They second gen was rated @290hp with an improved intake design. The cobra has forged internals, the mark uses cast steel parts. The heads are the same but the exhaust cam for the cobra has more duration or lift then the mark. The intake for the mark run out of breathe @ higher rpms.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea lol. I'm stuck between putting a cobra motor or a 5.4L 2v motor in my car.

Yea the cams in the cobra are different. Also the only forged thing on the early cobra was the crank. They had the same rod's and pistons even though the pistons were -3cc so the Cr was higher.

I don't know. I want the torque of the 5.4L but i want the raw HP of the 4v ya know.........and i don't want all the trouble of the 5.4 4v swap :'( i hate hard decisions

voidfinger

Reaction score
hey one other question. What are you doing for the throttle cable thing? Also, are you doing the whole wiring and computer swap also? and how about the IMRC's ? did you stick with the mark's?

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
hey one other question. What are you doing for the throttle cable thing? Also, are you doing the whole wiring and computer swap also? and how about the IMRC's ? did you stick with the mark's?

8) so the terminator is the only 1 with the forged bottom end. I heard both side of the story about rev'n that steel crank past 6K. I can go right to the Ford dealer and buy a throttle cable from a March1 to fit my app. since the T.B is almost in the same positions and I'm running an auto. I only need to change the wire harness from the computer kick panel and the engine harness. I just deleted the plates on them. just like the crank I've hear 2 side of the story. Some say you'll lose power down low and other say that you won't. I have a 4.10 gear but I've been thinking about how much the 20's are going to reduce that gear. Maybe I might switch to a 4.30? If you look at the one pic you can see the Teskid block under the beach by the wood post, that I'm going to use for my twin turbo setup and I'm going to get a cobra crank and forged rods and pistons. If you want to find more people that did the 5.4 swap check out modular depot, they have a conversion section.

100_0012.jpg

f3b9_1_b.jpg

harness44.jpg

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
So basically the MarkVIII motor cant rev like to cobra due to the intake manifold and the cams? if i change the cams and the manifold i can rev that bitch like a cobra? lol

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Your wasting your time using that LIL BITTY turbo.. that thing probly doesn't flow enough air to support a 2.1L 4cylinder car.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
68mustang5.0 said:
So basically the MarkVIII motor cant rev like to cobra due to the intake manifold and the cams? if i change the cams and the manifold i can rev that bitch like a cobra? lol

From my understanding its not safe to rev it high like a cobra because of the cast crank and its not counterweighted to rev that high.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
Your wasting your time using that LIL BITTY turbo.. that thing probly doesn't flow enough air to support a 2.1L 4cylinder car.

Two of these won't be enough. I seen a lot of 5.0 guys run two of these and also some with 351W. I've been trying to research to see the volume of air that a DOHC will input compared to the total volume of air that the two tbird turbocoupe turbos will output. But looking at it from displacement the tbirb motor was a 2.3L and I have 2 of them. I'm just learning about turbos so that why I'm not going to install until I finish my research through word of mouth and document. Thanks 4 the heads up, I've seen ur setup and build and its very nic. So I do take ur words serious because you already done ur homework. :thumb:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
waltnono said:
Thomas_W said:

Two of these won't be enough. I seen a lot of 5.0 guys run two of these and also some with 351W. I've been trying to research to see the volume of air that a DOHC will input compared to the total volume of air that the two tbird turbocoupe turbos will output. But looking at it from displacement the tbirb motor was a 2.3L and I have 2 of them. I'm just learning about turbos so that why I'm not going to install until I finish my research through word of mouth and document. Thanks 4 the heads up, I've seen ur setup and build and its very nic. So I do take ur words serious because you already done ur homework. :thumb:

If your wanting to do twins, try looking at a pair of 60-1's with a .68 (or smaller if you can get it) turbine side.. The great thing about turbo's is, you can always get more airflow out of them (to a point) by upping the boost pressure. And you can ALWAYS squeeze more air into the motor. Boost is nothing but a measure of back pressure in the intake tract... Hence why if you run a 10psi supercharger pulley on a stock motor, then take that same blower and put it on a car w/ big cams, P&P'd heads, P&P'd intake and a HUGE TB it might only make 5psi. all of the restriction is gone, but you make the same HP basically b/c the engine is more efficient.

You might also want to look into a Single T-70 if you want a single or a GT35R for twins, or a GT45 for a single. all of which would be a good turbo.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Thanks 4 the heads up, I was looking at a t70 before but ran into one of these tbirds @ the yard so that why I pulled. The good thing is that I have nothing but time to make up my mind. O0

voidfinger

Reaction score
waltnono said:
68mustang5.0 said:

From my understanding its not safe to rev it high like a cobra because of the cast crank and its not counterweighted to rev that high.

I've heard that it isn't that big of a deal. I've been told that cast crank revs up a lot faster though since it is lighter than the forged one. The forged one has like 2 or 4 more weights in there.

Yea i've got a 130 page thread i'm in about the 5.4 L thing. So your using it with an auto too huh. I really like the idea of it :) any way .....I thought that you couldn't use the cobra wiring harness since the pins are different that hook into the computer. Whats your view on this and what kinda harness is that?? thanks dude

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
waltnono said:
68mustang5.0 said:

I've heard that it isn't that big of a deal. I've been told that cast crank revs up a lot faster though since it is lighter than the forged one. The forged one has like 2 or 4 more weights in there.

Yea i've got a 130 page thread i'm in about the 5.4 L thing. So your using it with an auto too huh. I really like the idea of it :) any way .....I thought that you couldn't use the cobra wiring harness since the pins are different that hook into the computer. Whats your view on this and what kinda harness is that?? thanks dude

Its a GT harness and computer that I have. I'm getting a xcal and having the GT computer re-tuned. I'll have to extend a couple wires and I won't use the knock sensors and won't have to worry about the IMCR controller.

voidfinger

Reaction score
cool, so what wires do you have to extend for it to work? and where are you getting your tune from? or are you getting it dyno tuned?

One more thing to, where did you find that mark intake? i've been looking and i haven't found one yet lol. Thanks

Mitchell

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
cool, so what wires do you have to extend for it to work? and where are you getting your tune from? or are you getting it dyno tuned?

One more thing to, where did you find that mark intake? i've been looking and i haven't found one yet lol. Thanks

Mitchell

Don at lasotaracing.com is doing the tune. Its a mail order tune so if I want it optimized then I will have to get a dyno tune. I have another intake I'll sell for $60 you just pay the shipping. It doesn't have the throttle body.
100_0020.jpg

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Motor is in :bunny3: But it just a test fit 4 now. I need to do some cleaning of the bay & parts + put in the hydro boost and route power steering lines. plus I'm going to replace the brake lines and look at the fuel line to see if they are rusted.

100_0028.jpg

100_0029.jpg

100_0030.jpg

voidfinger

Reaction score
very nice dude. THat is the same shocks/struts i got for my car :) i just gotta get some ford c springs to replace these wore out eibachs. Anyway, i might take you up on that intake. I found a guy that is selling the intake with the plastic imrc's and controller and all bolts for 125 so i might talk him down, i'm thinking that i might be able to hook the imrc's up with a rpm switch since i want to keep them for low speed drivablility. So what rpm does the mark intake flow too? just wondering. Since i think i'm going to set my shifts at 6k. I wouldn't want to turn cast internals any higher :) thanks

Mitchell

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
very nice dude. THat is the same shocks/struts i got for my car :) i just gotta get some ford c springs to replace these wore out eibachs. Anyway, i might take you up on that intake. I found a guy that is selling the intake with the plastic imrc's and controller and all bolts for 125 so i might talk him down, i'm thinking that i might be able to hook the imrc's up with a rpm switch since i want to keep them for low speed drivablility. So what rpm does the mark intake flow too? just wondering. Since i think i'm going to set my shifts at 6k. I wouldn't want to turn cast internals any higher :) thanks

Mitchell

Not sure but its rated @ 290h.p @ 6K.

voidfinger

Reaction score
very nice. :) so the 96-98 cobra was at 305 hp , and the mark 8 was 290. So the motor with a mark 8 intake and cobra cams should be at least 300 hp :) .

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Not sure on that but I know that the exhaust on the mark8 was very restrictive from the headers all the was back. So I would think with just a free flowing exhaust that would put the motor at 300 or more. I just read in the Sean Hyland modular build up book that he made 346h.p with the stock 03-04 cobra cams with out degree'n them. I haven't seen any1 selling a set but if I find 1 for under $300 them I'll buy them. The Ford racing and comp cam is over $1000 for a 4V cam set.

voidfinger

Reaction score
the highest lift cams you can get that came out the 4v cobra's is the 98, the intake has more lift than the other ones. The 03/04 cobra cams are really mild for the superchargers. I've heard that 03 cobra owners would putthe 98 cams in and pick up hp.

Mitchell

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online