Upgrade my Cobra, or buy Lotus Elise?

Danimal

Reaction score
I currently have a mint 1996 Cobra with a bunch of suspension/driveline/engine mods. The car looks nearly stock on the exterior, but runs 12.80's. Car has 87,000 miles and is in great condition.

It looks like I'll be getting around a $12,000 bonus early next year and hopefully a pretty decent raise. Financially, I'm doing fine so the money is likely going somewhere really immature.

My choices are:

• Upgrade Cobra: wheels/tires, 03/04 seats, supercharger, etc and sink the rest into my house
  • Buy Lotus Elise: sell Cobra (hoping for at least $8,000), sell motorcycle (hoping for around $2,800) and take on a small loan

Personally, I'm not excited about the thought of even a small monthly payment on the car. Then again, I've got a large savings, a home and by that time, all of my college debt will be payed off (just graduated in May).

What would you guys do? I could likely find an Elise for around $30,000 if I look hard. Then again, the Mustang is great and would make a great show/strip car.

LotusEliseTT190rear.jpg

-Dan

281cammer

Reaction score
My Opinion

Keep the Cobra!!!!!!!!!! Getting rid of Cobra for a Lotus deserves a :slap:

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Re: My Opinion

281cammer said:
Keep the Cobra!!!!!!!!!! Getting rid of Cobra for a Lotus deserves a :slap:

Even if you mod the suspension of the cobra to the limit, itll never touch the handling of the Lotus...STOCK.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Not even a choice. The Lotus is waaaaay more car than an old Cobra will ever be. Super light weight, stops on a dime, unreal lateral grip, plus it's a lotus.

Mustangs are nice. I love them. (I have four)

However, they will never be an Elise.

95-stang

Reaction score
The Lotus is a great car, depends what sort of driving you do, or want to do. ;)

Grnstang

Reaction score
I would keep the Mustang since it's paid for, and put all the bonus money into making it a supreme show car. I love Mustangs and even if I had the money, I'd still be a die hard Mustang guy. I'd just buy a little more expensive Mustangs, ie: Saleen S281E!

94Vert

Reaction score
the cobra is a more comfortable car, the lotus is tiny inside. you put a blower on the cobra and the lotus couldn't touch it going straight.

9psi 98

Reaction score
That Lotus is like riding on a rollerskate down the road, but it's resale value will be a lot higher than the Cobra. If the Cobra is paid for, I'd just throw the money into it instead, you'll save more money in the end and still have a back seat and a trunk.

Eric_94cobra

Reaction score
I would go with the lotus if you are looking for some splittail. Otherwise, the cobra would be a badazz street-strip machine!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was just looking at an Elise yesterday in a parking lot while shopping. They are tiny and i don't think i could even climb into it :)
An old couple drove away in it...I have heard they are great if you like to Auto X it on weekends.

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
I was just looking at an Elise yesterday in a parking lot while shopping. They are tiny and i don't think i could even climb into it :)
An old couple drove away in it...I have heard they are great if you like to Auto X it on weekends.
the average man isnt 8 foot tall like you...lol!

They are really tiny though.

mean green

Reaction score
keep the cobra bro or you ill get :slap:

j/k but keep the COBRA

94Vert

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
The Lotus is a chick car.

i've never seen a chick drive one. there not very comfortable so i don't see them as popular with the females

SMOKE

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:

Everyone's hit my point, if you're going to race. Get it!
Otherwise, the Cobra is paid off.

Actually, went down this road myself and the car would only get appreciated during the weekends on the track and an occasional car show.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.