upgrades? kinda :O

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
I just bought a 98 mustang gt and it is all stock, i mean all stock, the only thing changed on it was the fuel pump and the oil.

first off I'm 17 and I couldn't get the car by myself so I had to get my mom and stepdad to sign for it, but since the car is in their name they won't let me doanything "out of reason to the car". I've asked them for a couple things but whatever my stepdad says my mom agrees with and they want to keep the car stock because "if it was ok to put those parts on your car then the manufacturer would have put them on" They don't understang that i'm not gong to be able to afford anything that could potentially damage my engine lol. I'm planning on doing some underdrive pulleys and a cold air intake, and maybe some 24lb/hr injectors, but what im thinking is that if you upgrade your intake then you have to upgrade ur exhaust or it can't breathe right and I'm trying to get them to let me buy some lt's with a flowmaster american thunder system, but they don't like loud cars... so what are some upgrades to the car that are inexpensive that i can do to my baby? it's not like their checking my engine or anything.

btw my dad and grandpa will help me install them ;) so that's not a problem

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Well dont even mess with the injectors! Nothing will happen horsepower wise until you have maxed out your 19s which your not even close. I say you get a JLT CAI, Steeda UDP, a short throw shifter, catback exhaust system!

95-stang

Reaction score
Maybe you could try the, "well it will increase the mpg" or , "the exhaust is in bad condition they dont make the originals anymore i need a [your choice here] as they are quieter and last longer" just try a different approach. :)

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Well if you drive in town you can tell them that 4.10s will give you better gas mileage in town and you wont be lying!

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
Well dont even mess with the injectors! Nothing will happen horsepower wise until you have maxed out your 19s which your not even close. I say you get a JLT CAI, Steeda UDP, a short throw shifter, catback exhaust system!

idk what all those acronyms are :( I'm thinking the steeda udp is a ultimate drag pak?

I've been telling them that some lt's and an exhaust will give me some better gas mileage and if i upgrade the intake with it then it will increase it even more lol

btw i know a short throw shift is good but im not sure exactly why it's better :?

lol some 410's would be nice compared to my 2.73's or 2.83's im not sure which i have. I don't know if they would fit in my diff casing tho cause I have a 10 bolt

95PGTTech

Reaction score
4.10's or 4.30's will make a ton of difference and there will be nothing visually different about the car. or, you can just do the PI swap or a PI motor...unless they are pretty involved mustang people they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. you could save up for like patriot ported PI heads and comp cams valvetrain kit and cams and get some nice gains while still appearing bone stock.

Dusstbuster

Reaction score
Tell them that getting PI parts (Cams/Intake/Heads) is worth it because Ford decided they were necessary to be put on all Mustangs from 99 on up.

Obviously they are better if Ford changed the entire setup right? Tell that to them.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Dusstbuster said:
Tell them that getting PI parts (Cams/Intake/Heads) is worth it because Ford decided they were necessary to be put on all Mustangs from 99 on up.

Obviously they are better if Ford changed the entire setup right? Tell that to them.

I was just suggesting not telling them because visually there is absolutely no difference.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
yeah i'm definetely thinking about getting some pi heads ported and polished, a pi intake and some pi cams and some 3.73s or 4.10's in the back. Thte only thing is is that i need my car for work and the most ill probably ever be off in a row is about 3 or 4 days . idk if i could change all those things in that amount of time especially being the novice that I am. My grandpa is a mechanic for all the vehicles american airlines has but he'll only put on what is ok'd by my mom and stepdad so i guess I'm doing these by myself.

Also on carforums.net someone said that the 4.6 is the hardest motor to make fast. . that's hard for me to believe but they said it.

If i got the pi heads, intake and cams, would I need to remap my computer or would the comp realize it on it's own. Also about some the gears in the back, would those mess with my tach? and would they require a comp remap? how much could i get teh pi parts for and would they bolt right up or would it require mods? * edit (i know theres a post about putting the pi on)

how much rwhp should i expect to gain from install just the 410s?

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
realitygt said:
yeah i'm definetely thinking about getting some pi heads ported and polished, a pi intake and some pi cams and some 3.73s or 4.10's in the back. Thte only thing is is that i need my car for work and the most ill probably ever be off in a row is about 3 or 4 days . idk if i could change all those things in that amount of time especially being the novice that I am. My grandpa is a mechanic for all the vehicles american airlines has but he'll only put on what is ok'd by my mom and stepdad so i guess I'm doing these by myself.

Also on carforums.net someone said that the 4.6 is the hardest motor to make fast. . that's hard for me to believe but they said it.

If i got the pi heads, intake and cams, would I need to remap my computer or would the comp realize it on it's own. Also about some the gears in the back, would those mess with my tach? and would they require a comp remap? how much could i get teh pi parts for and would they bolt right up or would it require mods? * edit (i know theres a post about putting the pi on)

how much rwhp should i expect to gain from install just the 410s?

Post a link to where they said it was hard to make a 4.6 go fast.

You won't gain any HP from 4.10's. But it sure as hell will make it feel like you did!

S

scarface

I would do gears. THere is no point in doing anything to the intake side of the engine if you dont do anything to the exhaust side.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?t=52433&page=1&pp=10

by yeah, it's a hemi

btw i had a friend post the questions for me on there and he kinda misworded it lol

scarface said:
I would do gears. THere is no point in doing anything to the intake side of the engine if you dont do anything to the exhaust side.

that's what i was thinking cause then it would be unbalanced and wouldn't breathe right

95PGTTech

Reaction score
you will still get significant gains from a heads/cams package regardless of what else is done to the engine. heads/cams/stock 2001+ intake/xcal2/4.10's/subframes/tires should make for a killer combo that will appear OEM with the exception of the tires.

LJmagicJJ

Reaction score
probably not the best way to put this but a buddy of mine wanted to supercharge his car and his mom wouldn't let him(he was 17) so he told her that it would improve his gas mileage and help him in the snow.... ;D

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Like everyone else said, gear's, pulleys, ported HCI package. I recomend saving your money and getting used to it stock. No offense, but those 215 horses are more than enough to get a novice into trouble very quickly.

Save your money meanwhile, and maybe next year throw on the heads/cams/intake, possibly on a newer PI motor, then you can swap the whole thing in a weekend. Not that hard, trust me, the connectors only plug into the right places, and usually only reach those places. Then save you money again, and pick up a Vortech, then go Hemi hunting.

To tide you over though, gears and pulleys will be noticable, cold air kit's really don't seem to do alot on these cars, you can pull the silencer out of the fenderwell for most of the gain, without spending a dime..

A short throw shift is better for a few reason's. One, it will be more like shifting a sports car, and less like shifting a 1972 F250. Two, alot of people seem to shift from second straight into third when shifting quickly, an aftermarket shifter has centering springs to help you into third. Third, and the biggest reason for me, is an aftermarket shifter has what's called "positive stops", meaning you only move it far enough to put the car in gear, then you hit the stop. On a stock trans, there are no stops, so you can bend the shift forks inside the transmission from enough power/speed shifting.

Another peice of advice, don't try to powershift the T45, it won't last.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
and powershifting is where inbetween gears you rev it up high and dump the clutch on it?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Powershifting in the pure form of the word is where you leave the gas flat on the floor, and shift shift as quickly as possible, while keeping your foot buried.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
Powershifting in the pure form of the word is where you leave the gas flat on the floor, and shift shift as quickly as possible, while keeping your foot buried.

for ur 5.0 stroker kit how much did it cost you? and how many horses do you think it added?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.