Upgrading brakes on a 1996 GT

delling3

Reaction score
So, like the title says, I am looking at options to upgrade the brakes on my '96 without breaking the bank. Seems that a lot of folks are suggesting Cobra brakes. What exact improvements does this mod. give? Are these 4-pot calipers, or simply larger 2-pots with a corresponding increase in rotor diameter?

My plan would be to upgrade the fronts, and keep the stock set up in the rear.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Actually I think the new thing is the Cadillac calipers. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.

As for the Cobra calipers it's a two piston caliper, but made for the 13" rotor. I haven't done the swap personally as when I did the brake upgrade I got the car with it. But I've been told it's a decent upgrade.

PinkieT

Reaction score
The Cobra front rotors are noticeably bigger, and the calipers are beefier than the 2 pot New Edge caliper. Rear Cobra rotors are only slightly bigger and the caliper is the same. The parts for the front brakes are readily available and reasonably priced. The backing plates and anti-moan brackets for the rear are hard to find and pricey if you do. I did both front and rear only because I got a complete set.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I use OEM Cobra front and rear brakes on all 3 of my autocross cars and they work really well. I have never felt the need to upgrade to Cadillac Brembos or 2000 Cobra R brakes.

Our cars have fairly inadequate brakes from the factory and the OEM Cobra brakes are a HUGE improvement. Pad choice makes a big difference, too. I use Hawk HP-Plus pads (which I wouldn't recommend for a daily driver). But, I know many people who have upgraded to OEM Cobra brakes with performance street pads (Hawk HPS), and they've been pleased with the results.

I know you don't plan on upgrading the rear brakes, but it's worth noting that the Cobra rear rotors are not only larger in diameter, but they are vented. Those improvements allow for much more balanced braking.

lutter94

Reaction score
I put 94 Cobra brakes on my 94, figured it's nice to keep the years the same for reference in the future. Front cobra calipers have slightly bigger pots. If you do put cobra brakes on the front, you'll need a smaller master cylinder. Yes I said smaller, the surface area on the 2 pistons is still smaller than the area of my stock GT brake single piston. Rears are the same caliper, but a different bracket that the caliper mounts to, due to the thickness of the rotors, Cobra rears are vented, GT/V6 are not.

PBR brakes are a common upgrade pulling the nicer GT brakes from the newer gens, haven't done it, but lots of info out there. I did rear brakes, eventually, Anti moan brackets, axle flange/caliper mount brackets, and the caliper brackets that wrap around the rotor are semi tougher to find. You can tell the difference in the caliper bracket because the cobras are connected across the front face, and the GT/V6 are not.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I put 94 Cobra brakes on my 94, figured it's nice to keep the years the same for reference in the future. Front cobra calipers have slightly bigger pots. If you do put cobra brakes on the front, you'll need a smaller master cylinder. Yes I said smaller, the surface area on the 2 pistons is still smaller than the area of my stock GT brake single piston. Rears are the same caliper, but a different bracket that the caliper mounts to, due to the thickness of the rotors, Cobra rears are vented, GT/V6 are not.

PBR brakes are a common upgrade pulling the nicer GT brakes from the newer gens, haven't done it, but lots of info out there. I did rear brakes, eventually, Anti moan brackets, axle flange/caliper mount brackets, and the caliper brackets that wrap around the rotor are semi tougher to find. You can tell the difference in the caliper bracket because the cobras are connected across the front face, and the GT/V6 are not.
96-04 use the same master cylinder across the V8 line. Unless you go aftermarket. While I haven't done the swap on my car I've taken part in a swap on two different cars and a new master cylinder wasn't needed. Three if you count the parts car I pulled my front end stuff from.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Op I found a set of used cobra calipers on ebay for like 204 bucks and right now LMR is having a sale on various things including their sve cobra caliper kits that are pretty decently priced. If I didn’t already have mine I’d probably buy one of their kits.

I like the idea of using those caddy brembos but I don’t think I could modify them myself without breaking something lol.

Another route is to use the fully torqued racing brackets with s197 calipers and 14” rotors but they require 18” wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t pay much for my 2015 calipers. I just have to get a set of s197 rotors and a set of brackets to use them.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Op I found a set of used cobra calipers on ebay for like 204 bucks and right now LMR is having a sale on various things including their sve cobra caliper kits that are pretty decently priced. If I didn’t already have mine I’d probably buy one of their kits.

I like the idea of using those caddy brembos but I don’t think I could modify them myself without breaking something lol.

Another route is to use the fully torqued racing brackets with s197 calipers and 14” rotors but they require 18” wheels.

I believe there's a guy on svtp that has s set of bushings that make it so nothing needs to be machined. Might be with looking up.

joe65

Reaction score
I believe there's a guy on svtp that has s set of bushings that make it so nothing needs to be machined. Might be with looking up.

i emailed that guy and the bushing kit they make they sell for i think $175, can't remember but if someone cares i can dig up the email.

07GtS197

Reaction score

Eh I already have the cobras so its kind of moot but maybe in the future. I figured someone could use some sort of bushing with the smaller sn95 hardware in the larger bolt holes for the caliper themselves. Maybe even a time cert or something.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I use OEM Cobra front and rear brakes on all 3 of my autocross cars and they work really well. I have never felt the need to upgrade to Cadillac Brembos or 2000 Cobra R brakes.

Our cars have fairly inadequate brakes from the factory and the OEM Cobra brakes are a HUGE improvement. Pad choice makes a big difference, too. I use Hawk HP-Plus pads (which I wouldn't recommend for a daily driver). But, I know many people who have upgraded to OEM Cobra brakes with performance street pads (Hawk HPS), and they've been pleased with the results.

I know you don't plan on upgrading the rear brakes, but it's worth noting that the Cobra rear rotors are not only larger in diameter, but they are vented. Those improvements allow for much more balanced braking.
Wait the rear is vented? Oh lord. I already decided to keep the rear brakes stock GT and bought stainless steel lines and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads (which weren't cheap).

I'll agree the OEM brakes are trash. It's borderline scary at times which is why I did the front Cobra brake upgrade.

I'm only a street cruiser but sounds like the rears will be a future upgrade.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Wait the rear is vented? Oh lord. I already decided to keep the rear brakes stock GT and bought stainless steel lines and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads (which weren't cheap).

I'll agree the OEM brakes are trash. It's borderline scary at times which is why I did the front Cobra brake upgrade.

I'm only a street cruiser but sounds like the rears will be a future upgrade.

Rear 94-04 Cobra rotors are larger and vented. I autocrossed my 2000 GT with Cobra front brakes and GT rears with HPS pads for a few events. I did eventually upgrade to Cobra rear brakes (and HP-Plus pads) when I did the IRS-Swap. But, based on how the car felt driving to and from events with the Cobra Front/GT rear brakes, that setup should be fine for the street.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread to axe you guys a question. Specific to the fronts, I need calipers, brackets, pads and rotors. I think I also need the front flexible brake line (will go braided ss here). Anything else for the front? I thought I read somewhere that special caliper mounting bolts are needed?

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
If you are upgrading to Cobra front brakes, you will need everything you listed. The Cobra brake hoses are different, and braided SS lines are a good upgrade. If you are buying remanufactured calipers, check to make sure there is thread sealant on the bleeders. Very often, companies won't put sealant on those threads. You end up with a small leak. When you try to tighten the bleeder to stop the leak, the threads get stripped. I always buy "speed bleeders" to solve this problem. They have sealant on them and they are cheap insurance against leaks. They also make bleeding the brakes easier.

The Cobra calipers don't bolt in; they use a pin and clip. The caliper bracket-to-spindle bolts should be the same. Test fit everything before you disconnect your old brake hoses.

joe65

Reaction score
you can save your money on the drilled rotors unless your just in it for the looks.

I know all the comments about the drilled rotors. Im not gaining anything, but yes I bought coated rotors and I only cared to get slotted but they had these for a good price so there they are. Drilled rotors and a strut tower brace have been beat to death on countless Mustang websites.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know all the comments about the drilled rotors. Im not gaining anything, but yes I bought coated rotors and I only cared to get slotted but they had these for a good price so there they are. Drilled rotors and a strut tower brace have been beat to death on countless Mustang websites.

Like beating a dead stang......... I’m mean horse.........

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Just think about all the unstrung weight your saving from those holes. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online