Upgrading wheel size - Performance Increase/Decrease?

A

afandiewinter

Hey guys,

I have an auto 95 mustang with flowmaster dual exhaust and MAC CAI. Will upgrading my wheels from 15" to 17" cause any performance loss?

Also how would i know if higher gears were installed in the car? Bought it used, so I don't know the car's history.

cheers

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
It will slow down the car due to rotating weight. mark the tire and the driveshaft and turn the wheel one rotation and count how many time the driveshaft turns (3 3/4=3.73)

OP
OP
A

afandiewinter

awesome. thanks for the info.

do i need to have both back tires in the air to turn the wheel? or can i just jack up one of them?

i assume i'll have to use blocks of somesort to keep the car from rolling away since the parking brake must be released and trans in neutral to spin the back wheel. it this right?

cheers

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
It will slow down the car due to rotating weight. mark the tire and the driveshaft and turn the wheel one rotation and count how many time the driveshaft turns (3 1/4=3.73)

I think he meant 3 3/4 = 3.73

And I went from 16" rims to 18" and it feels a hair sluggish but not too bad. Try to find the lightest rims possible if you are worried about performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online