Upgrading?

Phsyco

Reaction score
What are some free ways to get horsepower? Like Removing the intake silencer i already did that. Is thereany others?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Welcome to the SN95 forums! Lots of great info and people here that can help.

Notice on your profile page you are 16 years old with a 2000 v6. What are your mechanical expertise? Do you have a place you can work on the car? Would you take it somewhere(shop)? What is your budget??? Id imagine, (correct me if im wrong) like most 16 year olds, budget is tight, that kind of limits what can be done. g36 monkey is the resident v6 expert. Im sure he will chime in here eventually.

OP
OP
P

Phsyco

Reaction score
Yeah my budget is tight ( 200$ 300$) my expertice......well in not a ricer, im all about the science of the car and how it works i know a fair amount for just a dumb kid. Any help would be appreciated.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Horsepower and going fast aren't free. And for a V6 it's not cheap. There's really not much, if anything, you can do for free to get power.

Out of curiosity why do you want horsepower?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Strangest question ever to ask on a mustang site.....

There are many models of mustangs, the V6 being the slowest with the least power.

I don't typically associate buying the slowest version of a car with trying to achieve the most power. Quite the contrary.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Yeah my budget is tight ( 200$ 300$) my expertice......well in not a total shoebie, im all about the science of the car and how it works i know a fair amount for just a dumb kid. Any help would be appreciated.

Gotcha,

Your first things to research should be a bama tune, Cold air intake. Something that can be done easily at home and give your car a little pep for little cost.

Here is a link from American Muscle. Read the reviews of the other v6 owners. They are all happy with the results.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-cai-x4tuner-9904v6.html

Stock v6 vs Bama tuned (No cai) v6,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g8...xt=C3a24f4cUDOEgsToPDskIwvUXC7GjLNgx8dBj6ORvB

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
There are many models of mustangs, the V6 being the slowest with the least power.

I don't typically associate buying the slowest version of a car with trying to achieve the most power. Quite the contrary.

I can understand wanting to make a stock v6 a little more peppy. I would hope OP is not expecting to win any races with his few hundred dollar budget.

Mustanger

Reaction score
A newcar enthusiast just budding out! Help him all you can....

I wish I had put gears in first now...made my car feel so much better! Check out prices for that mod...good luck!

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I wish I had put gears in first now...made my car feel so much better! Check out prices for that mod...good luck!

Gears first!

Yes gears would be a good first option for most people. Considering the OP's lack of funds and lower experience level I do not think gears is a good "first choice" for the OP at this point in time. The intake and tune kit is the simplest mod and he can easily accomplish this on his own in his driveway.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gears won't get you any horsepower. I'd just grab a cai or a gameplan. Worry about what you want to achieve or get done with the car. Just trying to get to school and back? Planning on tracking it? Just start messing around with the car and tinkering with everything. You'll learn a lot about the car and how to work on it for much less than $200.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the last thing I wasted my money on was a bama tune after a HCI swap. It didn't work and barely ran to go to a dyno.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Gears won't get you any horsepower.

No, but it will allow for cleaner acceleration. I can understand why they recommended it but he cannot install it himself where as the CAI and tune he can do on his own.

Just trying to get to school and back? Planning on tracking it?

My guess is like any average 16 year old hes only driving mostly to school and back and doesn't want to feel like hes driving a slug while hes getting from A to B.

the last thing I wasted my money on was a bama tune after a HCI swap. It didn't work and barely ran to go to a dyno.

I would assume the tune requirements on an HCI swap 5.0 is different and more demanding then a stock v6.

OP
OP
P

Phsyco

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for the tips, what is "op" and i have an automatic!

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Original poster. Also since your car is an auto then I would recommend the tuner. Feels a lot faster when you firm up those sloppy shifts.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Pump the tires to 65psi, less rolling resistance. Keep the oil changed. Clean throttle body. Install an oil catch can. retard the cam about 5*

OP
OP
P

Phsyco

Reaction score
65psi would blow up my tires are rated at 40 and retard the cam? What is that?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
65psi will not blow the tires. And retarding/advancing the cam means altering the engines valve opening and closing points relative to piston location within the cyli der bore.

Let me ask about your tires? That 40psi rating is a rating for a particular amount of weight on the tire. Look real close to that rating. Their will be a weight limit to that psi. Most likely 1300#

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online