upper/lower intake mani options

mikewashere

Reaction score
hi guys I'm new here to the forums just picked up a 95 GT and wondering whats some of the best mods to improve the intake? I was looking at the trick flow intakes they offer quite a few different setups for these motors. Basically I'm just after the best bang for the buck for a street car. Bigger upper/lower intake mani, bigger tb, etc. Obviously best bang for the buck at this point, so which route should I go with? Or what should I do first?

any help/guidance is appreciated, thanks guys

RichV

Reaction score
On an otherwise stock motor? The GT40 setup works fine for most applications. And there are a few different versions, including a Explorer style which brings the cost down significantly. Fairly common in the used market.

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Goals would probably have to be trying to make as much power with the least bit of money I guess. Just looking for the best bang for the make to make her noticeably quicker in both throttle response and take off.

Ive read about swapping the explorer stuff over before but what kind of improvement can I see from that vs the cobra stuff? I've read swapping the explorer stuff isn't all that worth it some guys says.

I've looked around for DIY's for stuff like this but not seeing anything maybe someone can point me in the direction? Thanks again guys

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we mean do you want to go boosted or stay NA in the future? Drag race dedicated or DD? We all just want more power the question is how and for what. Budget often dictates this as well so if there is one that is helpful

RichV

Reaction score
Anyone that says the Explorer parts aren't worth it has a bigger bank roll IMO. Again, like stated, it boils down to the future of the car and how you're going to achieve that.

If you're doing the legwork for finding/installing parts, it's truly a no brainer. If you're having people do the job for you, ie a install shop and a head shop it would cost as much as aluminum heads.

I ran a pair of GT40P heads I found on craigs for $125 (rebuilt but had 3 bad valves I replaced). I got a Explorer intake for well under $100 plus a SN adapter elbow for $30. Coupled with a E303 cam ($100 used) and Cobra 1.7rr ($90 used), car made 277 to the tires. Probably would have made more if I setup my timing more aggressive, but I dialed it back for my race class limit. 94 GT, 5 speed.

If you can find a pair of aluminum heads, similar combo will be 300-ish assuming your shortblock is healthy and it's through a 5 speed. I'd probably steer clear of the chinese made heads you see on ebay for cheap, don't trust them like good ole GT40x, TF, Edelbrock, etc.

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
I could see a boost build (supercharger) in maybe a years time now on a different block maybe I'd like to build over time but for now quick bolt ons like upper/lower intake, heads, tb, and cai would be ideal ATM. i think I'd go with the cobra one as I know of a few locally for sale. Is that swap straight forward and essentially bolt in and go? Or are some things in different placement?

thanks

95opal

Reaction score
Just looking for the best bang for the make to make her noticeably quicker

Skip the bs intake swap, it wont do crap for ya. Best bang for the buck is a set of gears. Either 3.73 or 4.10 Nothing you bolt to the motor without opening it up will net you what a set of gears will except for spray.

OP
OP
M

mikewashere

Reaction score
its got 3.55 gears, don't think there's much of a difference between 3.73 vs 3.55. I guess the best thing to do would be the 4.10s, is that really much of a difference to notice and be worth it vs the 3.55s?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cobra intake is a direct bolt on to the 302 as long as you get the lower as well. Its different from the GT lower so it will not bolt onto it but get the upper/lower combo is probably the cheapest intake option to build it for boost later.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
After reading the thread I'd get a used nitrous kit and put in 3.73 gears. Buy a yard engine later and build it on the stand.

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Skip the bs intake swap, it wont do crap for ya. Best bang for the buck is a set of gears. Either 3.73 or 4.10 Nothing you bolt to the motor without opening it up will net you what a set of gears will except for spray.

Was thinking this when I started reading the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
IMO, 3:73 or 4:10 is way too much gear for a stock 5.0. Keep the 3:55.

If you can do the heads and intake at the same time, that's ideal. Intake won't do much alone but it will rev faster past 3500 to redline, it is noticeable. HCI will feel like a new car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online