Used engines - thoughts inside!

joemomma

Reaction score
Alright, just to add another variable into the equation....

Been poking around on FB marketplace and have come across a few engines for sale (used). There are several 302/306/331 within an easy drive of me. Prices range from $2000 up to $4000 and they have various component selection - some GT40 heads, some aluminum, etc. Anybody had good luck with used engines? I'm just thinking this might be a better way to go than waiting on a crate motor. Obviously videos of said engine running are helpful, but I just don't want to get into a bad mess. I know it's impossible to tell but just curious on everyone's thoughts?

07GtS197

Reaction score
I don’t think I’d buy a used built motor. They were ragged on for sure and there are just too many unknowns.

C1skout

Reaction score
I grew up in a family owned salvage yard, and we sold hundreds of used engines. Mostly never had troubles with returns.

I'd buy one, IF the price was low enough to offset any doubts about the trustworthiness of the seller.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been watching marketplace and other areas for a "used" motor but by used I mean I want to find that guy that got the motor and then got his girl preggers and needs to sell it, never having been installed. It is hopeful but after waiting for a supercharger in a similar situation for a while(years) I did find basically that situation for $1k less than new. Besides that I would not trust a strangers word on how it was ran, what was done and hope and pray for the best myself.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
This is kind of what I figured, it's a crapshoot really. My gut tells me to just wait it out and get something new, but the kid in me wants the "go fast" now lol.

PinkieT

Reaction score
On a used motor, might be a good idea to tear it down and check bearing clearances, etc.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
With a new one, you know what you are getting
You can list your performance parts

With used you don't know what you are getting
Some could tell you its full of performance parts and it is not
Its called buyer beware

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the way I see it honestly most car guys know other car guys that if we had a good motor to sell to, they would come and grab it. I think it is when they can't find a friend to buy it that you should be worried.

95opal

Reaction score
If your looking at a used stock block replacement thats fine. If your looking to build for more horse stay away from used .
1 you dont know what's in it.
2. You have no idea how or who built it with what quality.
3. Your stuck with someone elses combo that more than likely doesnt match what your looking for.

When it comes to building for hp the old adage stands true
Cheap
Fast
Reliable
Pick two.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think you've steered me (again) down the right path, and that's to avoid random used stuff. I may reach out to some locals to see if they have anything around.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
What is the price range your figuring
Summit jegs have good crate engine

With good performance parts
A friend of mine picked up a 5.0 302 95
For his 34 ford couple for a reasonable price
It came with some good ford racing parts

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
What I'm seeing is about $8k for a complete engine, including a Holly Sniper.

That's from Tri-Star, they're up north somewhere (Michigan/Wisconsin I think). BluePrint are about the same. $10k gets you in a CHP FI engine.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Found a 347 local to me, guy is asking $4k, complete intake (TF) to oil pan including long tubes. Has AFR 185s on it. Pulled it to go 351. Sent me a video of it running, it sounds healthy. Said it made 350 to the tires, which seems a little low for a 347 to me. Also said it smokes a little and that 347s are known to smoke due to the rings intersecting at the wrist pin. This is the first I've ever heard of this. Is he full of it or is there some truth there?

95opal

Reaction score
What I'm seeing is about $8k for a complete engine, including a Holly Sniper.

That's from Tri-Star, they're up north somewhere (Michigan/Wisconsin I think). BluePrint are about the same. $10k gets you in a CHP FI engine.

10k will get you a dart block stroker custom cam and some AFR heads with all the bells and whistles. You looking at spending way to much for a stock block build.

Found a 347 local to me, guy is asking $4k, complete intake (TF) to oil pan including long tubes. Has AFR 185s on it. Pulled it to go 351. Sent me a video of it running, it sounds healthy. Said it made 350 to the tires, which seems a little low for a 347 to me. Also said it smokes a little and that 347s are known to smoke due to the rings intersecting at the wrist pin. This is the first I've ever heard of this. Is he full of it or is there some truth there?

That guy is selling you a myth.
A correctly machined and assembled 331/347/any motor will not "use a little oil". Inferior machine work and sloppy assembly will build you a oil burner.
Beware

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that this is either an old build, or it's been ran hard enough that it needs some attention. Either way, nothing I want a part of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online