v6 Junkyard exhaust options?

dookiemane

Reaction score
So I was driving down the highway recently and my muffle fell off after I inched home I take a look under the car I notice that the flange on the mid-pipe is missing a side and the one bolt holding the muffler on fell off. That explains it coming loose but it shouldn't straight up fall like it did right? I look to the muffler and the hanger's come completely off the subframe. So for the last few weeks, I've been holding everything together with bolts and baling wire but now would be the best time to convert to true duals yeah? Since I'm going to the junkyard anyway this weekend do I have options?

From the poking around I've done, GT takeoffs won't work without fabrication because the v8 is slightly wider (?), is it a difficult job for a DIYer, or could a muffler shop do it inexpensively? Besides that is there anything else I could find in the yard that I could grab? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a brand new exhaust system?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What are the plans for the car? I mean if you hope to put a v8 in it I would not throw money into an exhaust made for the 6.

OP
OP
dookiemane

dookiemane

Reaction score
What are the plans for the car? I mean if you hope to put a v8 in it I would not throw money into an exhaust made for the 6.
As of right now, I plan on keeping the v6 and upgrading it.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Honestly just have a muffler shop something at it.. A large case “turbo muffler” won’t sound bad at all.

OP
OP
dookiemane

dookiemane

Reaction score
Honestly just have a muffler shop something at it.. A large case “turbo muffler” won’t sound bad at all.
You mean have the shop weld the gt takeoffs on? Or replace just the muffler? Right now I got some Flowmaster muffler on that doesn't sound bad imo, but the idea of true duals has been something that's really caught my attention recently.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You mean have the shop weld the gt takeoffs on? Or replace just the muffler? Right now I got some Flowmaster muffler on that doesn't sound bad imo, but the idea of true duals has been something that's really caught my attention recently.

You should either spend the money on the correct components or have a shop build the exhaust you want. The stuff in the junkyard is going to be few and far between.

OP
OP
dookiemane

dookiemane

Reaction score
Huh I don't know why it never crossed my mind that some old junkyard exhausts would be old rusty and crappy, now I feel like I'm asking stupid questions lol. Would it be possible to have a shop modify the stock exhaust like from the headers so that you can bolt on systems made for the v8 easily? Sorry once again if I'm asking a dumb question I'm still trying to learn the ropes

07GtS197

Reaction score
There are kits that allow you to cut and clamp the factory y pipe that allow it to bolt onto any catback meant for a Gt.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Huh I don't know why it never crossed my mind that some old junkyard exhausts would be old rusty and crappy, now I feel like I'm asking stupid questions lol. Would it be possible to have a shop modify the stock exhaust like from the headers so that you can bolt on systems made for the v8 easily? Sorry once again if I'm asking a dumb question I'm still trying to learn the ropes

The only dumb questions are the ones you don’t ask.

@07GtS197 hit the nail on the head! You need this:

126E67EC-B551-49B9-A29C-86F4E14E7182.jpeg

Have this put on and you can use any GT exhaust you can afford

tinnocker

Reaction score
I have had a Flowmaster cat back ordered since May 24 and still don't know when it will be in so I cancellled and last night ordered a Borla cat back and just got an email that it could be 8 weeks before they get any in. Blamed it on Covid and no workers. If no workers, they should have blamed it on Biden.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online