V6 to 4V swap

waltnono

Reaction score
Ok I'm start'n a new tread for this but some of you may know that I'm in the beginning stages of swap'n out my V6 for a Mark Viii 4V motor. As of now I have the motor and trans out of the mustang and the wire harness pulled . As for parts I'm wait'n for the stock exhaust from a 96 cobra which includes the heads and H-pipe. I have an off road H-pipe from a 5.0 that I will use after I smog and plan to get aftermarket headers later. My goal is to do the swap for under $500, I believe I can do this because the motor and trans was given to my from a friend of a friend. So what I spent so far was $100 for the exhaust and $100 for the 2nd gen Mark viii intake (which I'm wait'n for also). I had to use the 2nd gen intake because the T.B if facing the passenger side fender instead of the firewall like the 1st gen Mark viii. I will also need to buy a hydroboost brake system because the valve cover on the 4V will not allow a vaccum boosted brake system to fit. I found a guy around here that has 2 of them and I talked hime to letting me have both of them 4 $50 The major problem I see and maybe the last thing I will need is a K-member. My think'n here is to modify the 95 and see how things line up. If I can't get things straight then I will find one from a 96 mustang and use it. As for the wiring there are two ways I can go about it, 1st is to use the Mark vii computer which is 60 pins which means I would delete 48 pins and reroute almost 20 pins. The other way I could go is to use a 4.6 Thunderbird computer which is 108 pins like the V6 mustang but I would only have to reroute 8 pins but this would require a custom PCM tune and possibly put me over budget. Right now that all I think of but I don't think I'll be that lucky and have things this simple. So as I progress I will add to this tread and if anyone have completed a swap like this please add in.

29079d1157401970-is-a-factory-ecu-required-p0000556.jpg

G

GREG@SN95

wow... you gotta ton of work ahead of you...

goodluck...

ya'll need to fab or mod the crossmembers and ya'll need all newdrivetrain (rear and drive shaft as well) and all new suspension..

it'll be oe hell of a car when yer done :bunny3: :thumb:

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
I already have an 8.8 with a 4.10 gear the mark viii has a aluminum driveshaft which i will have cut but most of the work will be in the wiring and k member.

G

GREG@SN95

waltnono said:
I already have an 8.8 with a 4.10 gear the mark viii has a aluminum driveshaft which i will have cut but most of the work will be in the wiring and k member.

wiring is scary...

I'd be able to handle all the metal moding and fabrication...

but wiring, phew... fuck that... I'd just carb the son r bitch and be happy...

good luck... lookin foward to seeing yer results :bunny3:

97vertstang

Reaction score
thats one hell of a project!!!! good luck, and keep us posted :thumb:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
waltnono said:

wiring is scary...

I'd be able to handle all the metal moding and fabrication...

but wiring, phew... fuck that... I'd just carb the son r bitch and be happy...

good luck... lookin foward to seeing yer results :bunny3:

I'm with him on the wiring, that is going to be a BITCH :mad: :mad:, once you conquer that every thing else should be a breeze.........good luck.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Shouldn't have a problem getting my money back cuz I paypal him but hopefully paypal won't give me the run around.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
OK had to call off the dogs, item came today :D If he would had returned my call or email I would have panic.

97vertstang

Reaction score
that intake looks a lot like 99-01 cobra.how well does it perform???better than 96-98 cobra or :dunno:

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
It won't out flow the Cobra intake because the runner design not as good as the cobra but I'm not looking for performance right now and so I went with this intake for two reasons. 1 was for the cost, the cobra intake would have cost me around $400-600 and 2nd is for install reasons. This is a 2nd gen markviii intake and as you can see the throttle body is face towards the side but the intake I have on the motor now is face'n the firewall and it won't fit inside the mustang engine bay. I think that markviii motor is rated @ 285H.P which is fine for now. I have 4.10 gears and a aftermarket H-pipe that I will put on after I smog and I plan on putting a trans-go kit in the trans so that would be pretty nice for now.

97vertstang

Reaction score
yeah, i seen the early mark 8 intake, it has the throttle body in the back and very small runners.this intake looks lot better.i never knew this intake existed.i heard the mark 8 doesnt have as much power cause the cams are milder, and the exhaust is smaller???if u install cobra cams, and a 2 1/2 exhaust u shoul be rigt there?? shoudlnt u??? :dunno:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
looks like your making good progress in the project, and keeping cost down is a big Plus. 8)

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Yeah ur right on 97vert, but I'm not planning doing any major mods now because it going to be a commuter car. I've been drive my 05 F150 which has been kick'n my ass in gas. From what I heard from other mark viii owner is that they can get 27-30 M.P.G on the highway with the stock gear, which I believe is a 3.08 or something low. I also heard guy w/4.30 getting 22-25 on highway which is still better then what my truck gets. So I figure a lighter car w/4.10 I should be in the mid to low 20's Plus it help that gas is now $2.87 per gal for 93 oct. around my house. Once I finish the project I will find me a little beater then I'll go from mild to wild with the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online