V6 vs V8 Debate.. No bashing, straight up conversation.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I want a new 2015 ecoboost 4 cylinder mustang :)

The new v6s are respectable. Good mpg, good power.

The old 3.8s were awful. Sounded awful, got beat by minivans, and seemed to manage to get worse mpg then some 4.6 cars

The price difference between the v6 and v8 was too small not to buy a v8.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I just can never own a V6 Mustang. If i wanted to own a V6 anything it would be an Infiniti,
Benz or something like that. All my friends have V8 Mustangs. My sisters bf gets laughed at with his V6, its sad.. Idc if mine is old and slow, it'll always sound good!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just can never own a V6 Mustang. If i wanted to own a V6 anything it would be an Infiniti,
Benz or something like that. All my friends have V8 Mustangs. My sisters bf gets laughed at with his V6, its sad.. Idc if mine is old and slow, it'll always sound good!

Yep, just always seemed like the right thing to do to buy a v8 mustang.

Yea, the first mustangs may have been 6 cylinders but times have changed. The "cool" mustangs back in the day were all V8 powered....

Im not kidding when I say id rather have the 4 cylinder ecoboost than the v6 though lol

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
If I felt like it I'd whip out my apple pie eating American hard on for mustangs and say it's meant to rumble under the hood. I can't necessarily say I dislike the V6 platform. The 3.7 is actually a decent sounding quick engine. But the v6 platform mustang enthusiasts will continue to be a niche market. The motto of American muscle/pony cars will always be big motor. If they sway from that, it won't really be a pony car any longer.

RichV

Reaction score
I like all the mustang motors.

i do however wish the V6 had more power available. You can build anything with the hefty wallet, but friends with big bux in their V6 mustangs were 'keeping up' with the GTs. The 2.3 crowd can easily turbo their cars and make big #s, V8 is easy. But the 6 is a little more difficult. Kudos to the peeps making it happen.

sound, V8 is boss, but my SVO has a throaty rumble that gets noticed, and so do some V6 cars my friends have.

Rallim

Reaction score
You come up here
You drifty drifty
I come watch
Cars meet each other
Maybe much wow pictures
You hear v6
You eat words
We get beer to help wash down words
Sexy time... I kid I kid.
Good story, I tell again?

Hahaha, deal. If you include the sexy time.

LilRoush

Reaction score
The other argument I always make:
You're buying two 2002 Mustangs. One is a v6, one is a v8, otherwise every single thing is identical about the two. For the cost difference, you can make the v6 reliably blow the doors of the gt if you know where to spend your money.
Most people just waste their time with exhaust and bolt ons.

This.

The BIGGEST problem I see is that people get SOOOO hung up on the "I will never own a V6" blah blah blah..... They don't really know anything about the motors. People who like to say "I had one and I modded it, but it still sucked..." When you start to talk, they wasted money on mods that don't do anything b/c they did something on a GT. They aren't the same motor. People that educate themselves before passing judgement are the 'niche' of V6 owners who have/will/will continue to be able to show tail lights to the GT counter parts for the same budget.

Believe me, I started buying Mustangs in the mid 90's. I was DIE HARD fox body guy. I had several V8s and I still have V8s. I got a V6 (Roush) as an impulse buy. I still had my 347 powered fox when I bought it and when I sold it I also had my SC'd V8 Roush. I started taking so much heat about the V6 I decided to see what it could do. Did I start just slapping on a CAI and bolt on junk? No. I started with research. Where are the bottle necks in air flow? Where can I make improvements? What is there for aftermarket? What are other owners/racers doing to make REAL power? Quite frankly, in the early 2000's (when I started into it), there wasn't much info out there. That is why I started building my own parts. Can everyone do that? Not a chance. But with the expansion of forums, and years spent working on the good old pushrod 3.8L cars, it's very possible to take a limited budget and make more power than a GT with the same money spent. People who say "Sure you can make anything fast with enough money", it doesn't take a lot. Like was posted, you can make the same year V6 on par or faster than the GT with the price difference if you know what you are doing.

Then it comes down to personal opinion: Sound and spark plug count.
I loved the sound of my side exit on a stroked/boosted V6. I never had anyone tell me they didn't like it. Again, too many people slap on exhaust they think should sound good b/c it works on a V8. They aren't set up the same, so you need to shape the sound differently.
Spark plug count is something I laugh at. I hear it all the time "I'd rather drive a good sounding V8 that's slower than a V6". Fine. That's your choice. If I have to pick one, I pick the faster car for less money. End of story.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=14887]LilRoush[/MENTION], off topic but the gf and I are planning on going south to meet you soon, so get your pants ready or something.

Anyhow, yes, to everything you just said.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
The other argument I always make:

You're buying two 2002 Mustangs. One is a v6, one is a v8, otherwise every single thing is identical about the two. For the cost difference, you can make the v6 reliably blow the doors of the gt if you know where to spend your money.
Most people just waste their time with exhaust and bolt ons.

Im not sure this is all that true though is the problem but i guess there is different scenarios. I just dont think the price difference is all that much between the 2. Let's just have a conversation.

What would you do to make said v6 faster then the v8? Nitrous obv. Doesnt count as the power isnt always there.

Didnt you have a pretty extensive build on your v6? What did you end up running ?

Edit: looked at your old thread. Not to be a dick but you ran 14.9@94 mph....good bit slower than a stock 2v gt yet alone a 4v cobra.

Dont you have ported heads, cam, 4.3 stroker etc etc? Your build is much proof that you can't just easily throw a few parts on a v6 and rape v8s.

Boost would be the way to go...but i see the cost of building a setup,supporting mods, 8.8 rear etc. To actually make the power usable costing alot more than buying a v8 to start with.

Just my 02c

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Im not sure this is all that true though is the problem but i guess there is different scenarios. I just dont think the price difference is all that much between the 2. Let's just have a conversation.

What would you do to make said v6 faster then the v8? Nitrous obv. Doesnt count as the power isnt always there.

Didnt you have a pretty extensive build on your v6? What did you end up running ?

Edit: looked at your old thread. Not to be a dick but you ran 14.9@94 mph....good bit slower than a stock 2v gt yet alone a 4v cobra.

Dont you have ported heads, cam, 4.3 stroker etc etc? Youre pretty much proof that you can't just easily throw a few parts on a v6 and rspe v8s

Boost is the only way you can do it. I absolutely wasted my time not going forged for more boost. Stock bottom ends are good for the 350 range, and m112 kits are usually available in the 1 to 1500 range. You can also find vortechs in the same range.

For that matter, plenty of modded 2vs running slower than that at the track last night ;p

Again, I know you're not trying to be a dick. However, my motor build is more or less just a refresh. I bought a motor with a bent rod for $50, bored and honed it and replaced all the pistons and the one bent rod. Ported a lower intake, and that run had a stock upper intake. The heads are also mildly ported. I got the biggest off the shelf cam comp has, which is only .500 lift. I rushed through that build though because I needed the car running asap. Working on round tew now though ;p

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I hear ya...but you know as well as i do that there is more to just adding power to a car mr 1 legger

I still think its difficult to get a v6 to consistently out perform the v8s at the track without an ass ton of work. My brothers 2000 gt auto with bolt ons and 4.10s for example goes 13.2s

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, power isn't everything. But I got my 8.8 for $75, so does that even count as an argument ;p

Proper setup is almost everything at the track, no matter what motor is up front, and we all know that here, especially you.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes, power isn't everything. But I got my 8.8 for $75, so does that even count as an argument ;p

Proper setup is almost everything at the track, no matter what motor is up front, and we all know that here, especially you.

Well not everyone is pulling amazing deals out of their asses and can do their own work either lol

Hell, the cost of doing a 8.8, gears and having it installed for someone with a v6 that takes it to a shop would covers the difference between a v8 and v6.

As far as those 1500 dollar Vortech kits go, well i went 11.3 with an otherwise stock motor so thats probably a pretty strong number for a v6 to lay down without an ass fuxk of work

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Well not everyone is pulling amazing deals out of their asses and can do their own work either lol

Hell, the cost of doing a 8.8, gears and having it installed for someone with a v6 that takes it to a shop would covers the difference between a v8 and v6.

As far as those 1500 dollar Vortech kits go, well i went 11.3 with an otherwise stock motor so thats probably a pretty strong number for a v6 to lay down without an ass fuxk of work

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's a smoking deal.....

Still want 31 spline axles 300$ new

Dif 300+ or spool 150$

Gears 100-150$

Smalls stuff 100$

C clip eliminators 200$

Bracing and welding

Plus labor

The D3V

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I respect the built sixxers, and the 4.2s sound pretty good. Just a personal thing, won't buy a V6. I know they can be built to whip GT's, but I would rather have the car that has a sound I'd love. My 95 is a prime example, bolt ons, 4.10s, longtubes, full exhaust. not fast by any means, but it sounds insane and starts off with a lot more torque than a sixxer of the same year. The sound of V8s always attracted me since I was a baby lol, so its V8 or bust for me. Might come off as close minded or typical V8 treehugger, its just a personal thing.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What do 8.8s go for in your area? Just curious. $300 is usually the top dollar around here, and that's with fresh gears/bearings

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
O man, I guess because there are so many good ones in our junk yards (since every mustang wreck ever is a front end collision) the market is over saturated. Interesting stuff. That definitely softens my argument then in other parts of the country

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its not just the initial cost of the 8.8 though...if someone had planned on building the car up it could be very easy to throw a few K in the rear.

Buy a nice locker, gears,install kit, and having a shop do the work and next think you know you have 3k in the rear lol

I guess on the flip side you could do it the cheap way and throw a 8.8 in there with a used set of gears off craigslist as well.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have 1300 or so in my rear, but that's welding the axle tubes, additional bracing, 9" housings on the ends and 31 spline axles with a few other here and there sort of things. the 9" housings are happier for road course/auto x than the c clips are ;p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99