V6 vs V8 Debate.. No bashing, straight up conversation.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Call me arrogant but in the newer modular car department, I won't own anything but the most high performance versions of cars anymore. It's not worth the time or money to mess with the plain v8 car or a v6 car. If I bought a new mustang it'd be the GT500, if I bought a camaro it'd be ZL1 or Z28 all day. If I bought a vette it'd be a Z06.

Lol,

if you have the money that really is the way to go...ive been down that road with my 96, should have just sold it and bought a 03/04 cobra when I had the chance.

The amount of money, work, effort to take a base mustang or a base vette or base camaro and get it near the levels of the higher end cars is just crazy...and it would just never be on the same level, would probably end up costing more money, and you would still have a base model car with low resale after dumping all that money into it.

kaveman

Reaction score
When I bought my SN I hardly knew what a GT was... let alone what engine options were available at the time. I was extremely ignorant to the muscle car world lol. Now, however, I couldn't be happier with my v8 and honestly would never think of owning a v6 stang.

I'm in no way bashing what the new v6 packages have to offer or what many can/have done with both the older and newer 6 bangers. There are definitely plenty out there that will blow the doors off most v8's and I have tons of respect for those cars and their owners. To me however, I feel the whole ideology behind owning a mustang has pretty much always been about having a badass looking/sounding muscle car with the power to back it up. This is just something that I feel is not effectively present in the v6. Of course the appearance is virtually identical. I simply feel that a v8 satisfies a mustang lover's soul in a way that is not usually possible with a v6 (though it can happen).

Just my two cents....and sorry in advance if some of you feel I fell under the "v6 haters" category...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

spank 141

Reaction score
The cars in your guys areas are way too expensive. v6s out here in CA go for almost nothing and a GT is not really that much more especialy the 96-98 versions. I can even find 99-04 GTs for 3000-4000 and there is usally nothing wrong with them.

As far as v6 vs v8 for me its v8s only, but I do see a point in the v6 and I understand why people buy them.

kaveman

Reaction score
The cars in your guys areas are way too expensive. v6s out here in CA go for almost nothing and a GT is not really that much more especialy the 96-98 versions. I can even find 99-04 GTs for 3000-4000 and there is usally nothing wrong with them.

As far as v6 vs v8 for me its v8s only, but I do see a point in the v6 and I understand why people buy them.

I didn't take the time to read all of the posts in the tread but I know in IL its sometimes hard finding 94-98 GTs for that price....not to mention they usually have stupidly high milage for the price they are asking.....I need to get the hell out of this state haha.

Kboss87

Reaction score
I could never buy a V6 when a V8 is available. Someday we may no longer have a V8 option though....time will tell.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I love some of the reasoning for not liking v6s in this thread. Lol.
I can't help but laugh at the stupidity.

Why don't you like v6s?
Cause not v8
Cause muscle car
Cause sound (big lol)

Great stuff right there.

No wonder some people hate the mustang community so much.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score

Why don't you like v6s?
Cause not v8
Cause muscle car
Cause sound (big lol)

Great stuff right there.

I dont mind the newer v6 although i cant say id buy one.

But the sound and performance aspect alone of the older one turn me off...plus the price difference to get a v8, dual exhuast, nicer interior, 8.8 rearend and more just doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Its actually unreasonable to me to buy a v6 if you care sbout Performance and plan to mod the car

kaveman

Reaction score
I feel like most of the people in this thread don't dislike the v6 stang at all. Rather they dislike certain things about the model. (i.e. the exhaust note and the power output of the sn95 v6 in particular.) Sure you can mold a sixxer into a beautiful beast of a car and be praised by the entire mustang for doing so and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Actually I'm really fascinated by people who build a killer ride using an "under-dog" engine choice such as the v6. It's awesome.

With that being said, most who can afford the little bit of extra $$ would rather own a GT. It puts out more power STOCK then a v6 STOCK period and that's what most people will look for. Not everyone is like most of us on this forum. They just buy the car and then leave it in it's stock form.

Again I have nothing against great v6 builds because they are unique and, in my opinion, are far more interesting to see dominate the streets and tracks then say a 1000rwhp gt500 because a v6 is unexpected.

On paper however, a v8 stang will always outperform a v6 stang with the same mods thus making it a more powerful platform. Whether or not it is a better platform.....that can't be said because they are two completely separate engines and it depends on what you want and plan for the car.

If you want a unique budget build that has great "sleeper-like" power potential with proper mods all while maintaining reasonable mpg - v6

If you want the MOST power potential that can easily be just as unique you can't beat the added cubes - v8

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score

Why don't you like v6s?
Cause not v8
Cause muscle car
Cause sound (big lol)

Great stuff right there.

Ban hammer v8 basher!!!!!!! Pew pew v8 merica racecar

The D3V

Goldmember

Reaction score
A couple of good points in this post. My additions are in bold.
Actually I'm really fascinated by people who build a killer ride using an "under-dog" engine choice such as the v6. It's awesome. Absolutely. Always cool, for example, to see a 10-second turbo 2.3. True sleeper material.

With that being said, most who can afford the little bit of extra $$ would rather own a GT. It puts out more power STOCK then a v6 STOCK period and that's what most people will look for. Not everyone is like most of us on this forum. They just buy the car and then leave it in it's stock form.
I'm not most of you... my car is stock except for the exhaust. Stock air silencer, and shifter, even. I've enjoyed Mustangs in general since I was nine years old, and wouldn't be upset DD'ing a V6. Honestly, the fuel economy difference isn't that big in short commutes, maybe 1-2 mpg more. I've driven V6's, and nearly bought one; there were just too many questionable things about that particular car, and it had no rear defroster. Kinda need that in NY winters.

kaveman

Reaction score
A couple of good points in this post. My additions are in bold.

Thank you sir. I completely agree with you. I wouldn't mind at all to daily drive a nice v6. Like I said I have nothing against a 6 cylinder stang I just feel it depends on what you have in mind for the application of the car and what your preferences are :)

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
go fo the v8. you will regret getting a sixxer if you do. only six cyl il've ever owned that i would buy again is a cummins. and that would make a nasty stang.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
my 96 2v is testament to this.... full bolt ons 198 RWHP. LOL. .... ..

Lol yep i did go from 14.6 to 14.1 or so but id say pi intake and tune were 4/5 tenths there haha

Saving up for a used blower setup is the best money spent tho

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Who knows. It would have more to do with the driver, and I am not the best driver.

But doesn't really matter, a track time isn't my priority.

Yea for sure if you are manual. His car was auto so they tend to read lower on the dyno anyway.

Just a pet peeve of mine. I hate when people act like dyno numbers are more important than real world performance haha.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just a pet peeve of mine. I hate when people act like dyno numbers are more important than real world performance haha.
No where did I say they were. My car was tuned on a mustang dyno, I've experienced the large variation of ink on paper between dynos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online